Zeusthecat

Games for Windows Phone 8

So, this may be considered blasphemy by many people but I ditched my Android phone earlier this year and got an HTC 8x. You will probably hate me even more when I say that I really like this phone and it is one of the most solid phones I've had. I would even say that I like the Windows Phone 8 UI better than Android/Apple. I don't really use apps so the lack of apps hasn't really been an issue for me since I spend most of my time on the web which has also been pretty great because the web browser is decent.

Despite all of that, I'm kind of lost when it comes to finding good games. Right now I just have Fruit Ninja and Angry Birds for my daughter to play and I'm not one to drop money on games unless I am convinced they will be good. So does anyone else here have a Windows 8 phone or have any recommendations of good games that are available on these devices?

Aaaand, I just saw Dewar's post in the Nextbox 1080 thread so I bet I might get some hate for this. Some ironic timing.

I really like the phone and the software on the phone, my problem with it is how they broke the interface with the computer. Back on Windows Phone 7, you used the Zune client to sync things up, and I guess I'm one of the odd ones who really liked it. The stupid desktop transfer software they created for Windows Phone 8 is almost worthless.

Anyway, to answer the question:

I've played: I Dig It, Wordament, Flowerz, Solitaire Savant, Glyder: Adventure Worlds, geoDefense Swarm, and Shuffle Party

I've heard good things about: Galactic Reign, Skulls of the Shogun 

I also have some Windows Phone 7 games I've played and liked, but I'll have to get my old phone out to check those out and figure out which ones are Win8 Phone compatible.

Oh man, couldn't agree with you more on the computer interface. I absolutely hate it and will be sticking with Windows 7 for a long time. As far as the phone goes though I feel like they did a really good job with the live tile UI and it runs silky smooth. I have yet to plug it into my computer so I may end up sharing your gripes with the desktop transfer software.

Thanks for the recommends, I cracked up when I created this thread and then immediately saw your post in the other thread. That was some amazing timing!

If you can do what you want from your phone, I would avoid the desktop transfer software entirely. Their goal with this iteration was to be able to do it all from your phone, and they managed that fairly well, at the expense of the desktop software.

I got off Windows Phone 7 because when it didn't do what you needed it to (for no reason and randomly after 6 months of having it) there weren't any alternatives in the app store. Also the antenna in the Focus seemed pretty bad. But overall, I really liked the OS and the Zune transfer thing was fine too, too bad they apparently messed that up?

I haven't played it, but I've heard good things about Skulls of the Shogun and it looks pretty solid too.

I have the 8X as well, but I don't play many games on it beyond Sodoku and Wordament; both of which I would recommend.  I do really hope they fix that Music app at some point, but that is my only real complaint about the software. 

Wow, Castlemine wants a lot of personal information, even for the non-ad-supported version. Phone Identity, Owner Identity, Photos, Music, Videos, Data Services, and Movement/Directional Sensor.

Buddy wrote an article about this:

http://www.arcadianrhythms.com/2013/01/where-the-hell-are-all-the-good-games-for-windows-phone/

Castlemine looks like it is fun as well as Everlands.

Nice article, I laughed, I cried, I saw some decent looking games. I guess the good news is that the only mobile games I've ever played on any platform are Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and Sudoku. Never played any tower defense games, Plants vs Zombies or anything. I never paid much attention to mobile games before but hearing the guys talk on the cast about the various mobile games they play has piqued my curiosity.