Roderick

Candy Box

Listening to the latest Pod Cast, I went to Candy Box (http://candies.aniwey.net) and was subsequently lost. Let's share tips!

I'm in the mid-game somewhere (I think), currently trying to battle my way through the

Hell

level. That is some hard stuff. Any ideas how to tackle it?

I've only had it running for about 2-3 hours

I'm 90% sure that eating candies raises your max HP

That's all I've got

I have discovered this.

Also, then I RUINED it for myself by starting to cheat for infinite candies and lollipops. This both took all of the fun out of the game, but also circumvented my having to wait pretty much WEEKS to get enough health and sword upgrades.

The end part of the game is really not as good as the beginning, though.

Rodi, you should probably clean that URL. :)

Or maybe not. I don't know how the saves work.

Haha, these here forums messed it up. You saw my super secret save for a moment there.

How do I kill the dragon? It's way too strong, is there some trick?

No tricks, just some tactics. Strategy in the spoiler:

Use your cauldron te stock up on the following potions: Invincibility, Seed, and get plenty of Teleport scrolls from the merchant. When you get to the dragon, use Invincibility as soon as you're near him. In the bottom left is a timer that shows when it wears off. As soon as it does, use a Teleport scroll, that brings you back to the door. In automatically running back to the dragon, use a Seed poion to conjure up a tree. This will buy you enough time for the long timer for the Invincibility potion to run down. Rinse and repeat.

I looked it up as well, by the way.

Engh, I'm so tempted to click on the spoilers.... If this was Frog Factions I'd still be at the first pond wondering why people say this game is great. 

But since I know it's like FF, I will endure!

Hmm, this is like Kingdom of Loathing so far....

I don't know enough java to cheat. :|

EDIT: OK, how do I get past the 

castle? I think a wizard is teleporting me to the entrance each time I go there! D:

If you get hit by the "*" you get transported back to the start of the screen. You gotta rush through it as fast as you can. Berzerk potions are especially helpful.

I got burnt out on the RPG stuff before I got to the dragon, but I really love this game as an examination of upgrade-based flash games and the like. I've never been more acutely aware of my reaction to something as simple as a number going up. And the way your relationship to candies and lollipops change throughout the game is pretty great. 

Yep!

I wonder if the sequel will be nearly as popular.

I left this running while I went and finished playing Ratchet & Clank Future Tools of Destruction. Came back, spent tons of lollipops on swords upgrades. Now I feel so very, very poor.

It would be hilarious if this ended up being a bit-coin mining scheme.

Frankly, the more I play this, the more this seems like Kingdom of Loathing with a "Candymancer" instead of a "Pastamancer".

I think I'm going to quit this game now that I'm in Hell.  Sword upgrades are useless and I have 20 hours to go until I can increase the rate of my candy production (which at 28 pieces per second is nowhere near as fast as my 300 pieces per second lollipop production).

When the game transforms itself with each upgrade, it's fun and surprising.  When the upgrades are merely incremental, (so I survive against two demons instead of one) it's just as bad as any other Zynga game.

Yeah, I feel like I played this completely wrong. I started out by doing basically nothing but lollipop farming until I was producing 100 lollipops per second, and had my sword fully upgraded by the time I was in the underwater level, but hadn't eaten a single candy because I didn't know it had any effect. I found out that it increased your HP just as it started to not matter because I was fighting ghosts that halve your HP regardless of how much you have. So now, unless I'm missing something, it seems like it's just a matter of acquiring enough potions to get through a level, then wait around until I can afford more.

Ok, then I'm going to bail out now I guess.  Other than the frog is there anything that feels totally new?  I feel like I'm just doing more of the same min/maxing my candy/lollipop production and burning potions to get through quests.

Just leave your browser open and do stuff when you can. Don't pay so much close attention to it. GEEEEZ. I played it over the course of a week and probably actually only played it for four or five hours total. I feel like even that is stretching it. Most of those being failed attempts at beating one of two specific levels, before I found the trick.

hadn't eaten a single candy because I didn't know it had any effect. I found out that it increased your HP

THATS how you increase HP?

...guess I'm gonna eat some more candies, then.

How on Earth do you defeat 

the Developer? Everybody says I should smash buttons until I find the right one and use a invincibility potion to have enough time to do so, but... I just ran my hand over the keyboard and it did nothing... Is there anyway I can mess with the code to make the potion last longer or the key not random? Anything at all?

I accidentally just closed my tab and didn't write down my save password.  The fact that I'm not particularly upset means I've probably gotten everything I was going to out of this.