Sign in to follow this  
Jon_Danger

First Person Shooters (PC)

So, bored and looking for something fun to do with my new PC and game capture abilities... I decided it would be pretty hilarious to watch my girlfriend play a PC FPS, as she has never played any computer games really, and she definitely has never played an FPS before.  I chose Half-Life because this was the first real game (besides Quake 3 arena) that I played as a PC FPS.  

This has all be captured on video...

I figured I should share this, not only because we had some fun, but she picked it up in a jiffy.

Seriously, what I was expecting to be a hilarious romp of her getting stuck in corners and dying constantly ended up being a lot more normal of an experience.  She even remarked how easy things were to control.  I have tried to play Halo co-op with her, and she just can't get the dual stick FPS controls.

I just thought it was really odd, and kinda cool.  Not really a scientific study, but kind of a neat result to this experiment.

Can't wait for her to get to the parts with the military... it won't end well.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?  I just assumed that the PC would be much harder to control for her, and I was wrong.

I don't have anything interesting to ad, but I was browsing Twitch this past weekend and saw there was a tournament for Quake Live going on and watched it and it was cool to see people in a both with a professional casting set up super pumped about Quake. 

Seriously, what I was expecting to be a hilarious romp of her getting stuck in corners and dying constantly ended up being a lot more normal of an experience.  She even remarked how easy things were to control.  I have tried to play Halo co-op with her, and she just can't get the dual stick FPS controls.

So what you're saying is that your girlfriend has perfectly normal reactions based on the relative sensibleness of FPS control schemes. Makes sense to me! I'm an FPS master (well, I might not be any more - I was amazing when I was younger) but using a gamepad to control an FPS is silly.

Also your YouTube video description says the game is Half-Life 2.

edit: she just said she's the head of every fucking guild in Skyrim! Skyrim's a first person game! Unless she played in third person but does anyone do that?

Since we're talking First Person Shooters: Doom. JP LeBreton (former guest and all around cool dude) is a big Doom fan and his enthusiasm has inspired me to pick it up Doom II myself as I missed out on it (and most all of PC gaming) when it came out. In short: Doom II is really great. Granted, I'm playing through zDoom, which has lots of customization options and mouse support, so I don't think I'm getting the most authentic experience, but I'm having lots of fun. Non-linear levels that I can beat really fast if I try. The sweet super-shotgun. And the mods. Oh the mods.

Anyhow, Doom II. You should pick it up if you haven't tried it.

I love every episode with JP.  If there was a podcast that was just him getting talking a ton about the stuff he's super into like he does when he's on the show it would probably be my favorite cast in the world (no offense).  When he get's going on something he's passionate about it's just so great.

Since we're talking First Person Shooters: Doom. JP LeBreton (former guest and all around cool dude) is a big Doom fan and his enthusiasm has inspired me to pick it up Doom II myself as I missed out on it (and most all of PC gaming) when it came out. In short: Doom II is really great. Granted, I'm playing through zDoom, which has lots of customization options and mouse support, so I don't think I'm getting the most authentic experience, but I'm having lots of fun. Non-linear levels that I can beat really fast if I try. The sweet super-shotgun. And the mods. Oh the mods.

Anyhow, Doom II. You should pick it up if you haven't tried it.

Can you maybe direct me somewhere that explains how to use mods in zDoom? I could never figure that stuff out.

If there was a podcast that was just him getting talking a ton about the stuff he's super into...

For what it's worth, JP has started up a stream of playing Doom levels that he likes. Here it is.

Can you maybe direct me somewhere that explains how to use mods in zDoom? I could never figure that stuff out.

I had trouble with that as well. It seems like everybody who is playing Doom mods has been doing it so for so long that nobody ever mentions it. Here's what helped me:

JP posted these instructions with his Arcadia demake. I just bought Doom II off Steam and went from there. Also, gdZoom (the one I use) supports drag and drop play. Essentially, just dragging the WAD onto the gdZoom exe will get it to run. You can drag multiple items at once, which you'll need to do with some TCs.

I still run into problems, so if anyone has some more thorough notes or a good video, I'd appreciate it myself.

So what you're saying is that your girlfriend has perfectly normal reactions based on the relative sensibleness of FPS control schemes. Makes sense to me! I'm an FPS master (well, I might not be any more - I was amazing when I was younger) but using a gamepad to control an FPS is silly.

Also your YouTube video description says the game is Half-Life 2.

edit: she just said she's the head of every fucking guild in Skyrim! Skyrim's a first person game! Unless she played in third person but does anyone do that?

She plays in third person, as first person is too difficult.

as anyone else had an experience like this?  I just assumed that the PC would be much harder to control for her, and I was wrong.

I absolutely can't do first-person games at all, especially using analog controls. I couldn't do the escape sequence in Descent, the other kids at school laughed at me when I tried to play Goldeneye, and I could barely use the bow in Ocarina of Time. Then one day I picked up the Metroid Prime trilogy on the Wii on a whim, having skipped the Gamecube releases; and a combination of using the Wiimote along with the sheer strength of the first Prime was enough to make me power through (a feat that took me something like thirty hours and gave me some crazy neck cramps because I kept moving my head around in the real world). I eventually made it through all three Prime games, and last fall I decided to try out Portal on PC for the first time. It took me eight hours and made me so sick I had to lie down a few times, but I still consider it something of a personal accomplishment.

Incidentally, I know everybody seems to rag on the recent trend of motion controls being added to games, but I couldn't be happier about finally being able to aim the bow where I want in Ocarina of Time 3D.

It seems intuitive to me that first-person games would make more sense to a newbie gamer with a mouse than an analog stick, I mean your head doesn't turn robotically moving at the same speed along its full path.

BTW tegan what you're describing may actually be Field Of View motion sickness.  Basically the way it works is because our real eyes see in an FOV of about 105 some people have varying degrees of motion sickness when playing a game that runs on a lower FOV.  Most games (console and PC both) are built to run on 90 FOV, but if it's a PC game you can almost always change it to 105.  Even if the game doesn't explicitly avail you that option in its in-game menus you can google 'game FOV solution' and find where the option is in the .ini file.

It's probably just that I'm a baby who plays baby games.

(I will try that next time it comes up though)

I got really sick playing Portal, but that was from spending 10 minutes looking at myself fall through an infinite loop (the up and down one, not the bottomless pit one).  I also got motion sickness playing Half-Life 1, and oddly have never had a problem at all with any other game except I tried Black Mesa finally a week or two back and got it (I think in Black Mesa is was a separate thing and related to their headbob system).