Jake

Idle Thumbs 105: XCOM Obama

So many parts of this episode made me feel like I was having a stroke.

I want to know what that means.

BOLLOCKS I completely forgot to load up candy box today, I'll have to wait until Monday now to continue on my epic journey for candies

what was the music video mentioned by sean as being cool+rad? I tried feebly scrubbing though the episode but can't find it.  ;________  ;

I want to know what that means.

I wasn't sure if "no love for dad" was a corruption of "no left 4 dead" and was just confused through that whole part, plus the break conversation was beyond insane. Normally I'm wild about the absurd tangents, but this time the riffing just confused me and turned me off the rest of the topics discussed. It may have been that I was much more tired than usual, which is why I thought for a good chunk of the episode that I was just brain-dumb.

That discussion about the discovery triptych was amazing, though, and provides a solution to my question from waaaaay back about whether games can really adopt novel mechanics to do surprising things, as compared to how recent acclaimed books will often subvert or upend their own mechanics. I guess the answer is yes!

Ha.  I was wondering if I was the only one who kept hearing "No Love For Dad?" as "No Left 4 Dead?"

Regarding the question of films having more "local" flavor than video games, surely a major part of this is how everything in a video game is an artificial creation.  This simplest movie -- go out on the street and film two dudes talking to each other -- will, by default, have tons of local character.  The dudes will be local dudes speaking the local language and the street will be a local street.  The simplest video game is typically too abstract to have much local character, and even more realistic games will only have local character if the developer specifically chooses to put it in there.

Psychology Experiment Disguised as Minor Risk Legacy Spoiler:

Do not look under the box tray. Ever.

I was going to post this, but I don't consider it a spoiler. They need to look, and I hope it eats at them.

The interesting thing is it definitely seems like big budget Hollywood type movies are losing that sense of locality in favor of more generic settings (big NY type city without any defining characteristics, random California suburb, etc.) I think this partly has to do with how local sales are becoming a smaller piece of the pie for the movie industry, so fidelty to expressing the uniqueness of a locale becomes less important. You can look at an old comedy like Risky Business, and that movie just does an amazing job of capturing all these details about Philadelphia even though there isn't anything in the plot that makes the location particularly important. I don't think you would see the same thing today.

Great episode, especially loved the dad bit in the middle.

I wasn't sure if "no love for dad" was a corruption of "no left 4 dead" and was just confused through that whole part

This happened to me too, I was just confused and had no idea where "no love for dad" came from. Fortunately I was in a good mood and it didn't bother me that much.

It's Mother Day in Australia tomorrow.. So, given that there won't be much love for dad around this house, I decided to bake some Brown Butter Cookies using some LA Times recipe I found.. 

I burnt the shit out of them. The kitchen smells and everyone is angry at me.

Thanks Doug.

It's Mother Day in Australia tomorrow.. So, given that there won't be much love for dad around this house, I decided to bake some Brown Butter Cookies using some LA Times recipe I found.. 

I burnt the shit out of them. The kitchen smells and everyone is angry at me.

Thanks Doug.

No Love for Doug?

No Love for Doug?

I used the recipe and they turned out amazing. My kitchen still smells like melting brown sugar and it's fantastic. Thanks Doug! (next time I think I'm going to use more butter though.)

It's Mother's Day here in the states too, but it's also my Dad's birthday. I don't know if I'm going to be able to have enough love for the both of them.

Every time they say "no love for dad?" I think of James Stewart. I'm not sure why, maybe he is a father figure to me.

I think Jake's impression of a smirky dad is quite similar to Jake's impression of Jimmy Stewart.