Ben X

'GUN_MONKEYS' from Size Five Games

http://www.sizefivegames.com/2013/05/07/announcing-gun_monkeys

A wazzo remake of cartoon deathmatch platformer "Gibbage", with better name and everything else.

(I didn't do any design on this, just playtesting/feedback/QA. I did design on the original, but Gun Monkeys has moved away from most of that.)

Keep an eye on twitter.com/danthat if you want in on the beta!

That'll be coming later, but this means you'll have HOT MONKEY ACTION to keep you entertained while you wait.

Everything is better with monkeys.... with guns!

250px-Hitmonkey1.jpg

I guess that explain the monkey related tweets I read.... GUN MONKEYS! 

Looks sweet, eh? That's probably all Dan as, iirc, he's doing pretty much everything on it except the networking code.

Huh, I remember Gibbage being very fast and tight, this one looks pretty floaty and slower.

Yeah, the feel of it is currently very different. Dan felt Gibbage was a bit inaccessible because it was only ever really him and me playtesting it, so it became a very precise game that took a long time to get good at. Gun Monkeys is a lot less fiddly. But it hasn't gone into open beta yet, so if everyone says "too slow!" I'm sure Dan'll crank it up.

I have to say, after getting used to playing this, going back to Gibbage feels a lot clunkier. The one thing I miss is the big sprawling arenas that demanded a bit of tactical forethought, but that stuff may emerge with more people playing it. The arena size is random and, again, beta players may say that they only like the bigger sizes and that will become standard.

I'll try and post any updates about joining in the beta here when @danthat tweets about it.

I'll try and post any updates about joining in the beta here when @danthat tweets about it.

Oops, forgot to do this. But I was right about the floatiness - people pointed it out and Dan tightened it up (not to Gibbage levels, that would be madness).

So, this has now gone gun gold. It's 10% off right now, plus better value if you buy two. Some tech issues are getting ironed out but people are having fun playing it RIGHT NOW. Plus there are some achievements and trading cards and that kind of shit.

Buy it, have fun, challenge other Thumbs!

Anyone else got this? I should be around for games most of the day...

Sweet!

Well, I managed to get a load of ace games in today. Sadly I missed Toblix. The networking's still a little unstable in places, but this has really been polished and tweaked well, just needs a few more players in even though there's been a steady increase.

Bundle Stars are currently giving a million Steam keys of this away:

http://t.co/6wpnv0YA25

(that still means two copies per key, refresh the page til it works)