Sign in to follow this  
TheLastBaron

Neverwinter

Has anyone tried this at all?  I have a couple friends that have been into it the past couple days since the open beta went up, but I tried it for a little bit (only maybe half an hour) and I didn't really get into it.  Cryptic Studios it right next to where I live, maybe a quarter mile away from my house, and I always want their games to be good, but I never like them and feel bad.  I also read a lot of Forgotten Realms books as a kid and if this game existed 10-15 years ago I would probably be all over it, but now it almost makes me like it less just because of the setting (well that and the things that come with it like being able to pay $200 to have your character be Drizzt). My friends are having fun though so maybe other people are too?

The trailers are cool but it's a F2P MMO from Perfect World, so expect too either hurry up paying or hurry up grinding.

its bad, or at least falls at too many hurdles to ever be called anything but generic. Checklist: Crafting is pointless, dungeons are bland exacerbated by bosses randomly having absurd amounts of hp, the cash shop is extremely intrusive, items are worthless by virtue of being so generic & common, talents are boring +small % bonuses, and like a bad facebook game there are loads of transparent 'click this every 2 hours'/'do this daily' hooks.

there's potential with the foundry I suppose, but I'm skeptical of enjoying content wrapped in a fairly tedious game.

Played it for a few days now and I have to admit, I am really enjoying it so far. I mean, downsides exist, of course, mainly the tested "pretend to do something important while in reality you just kill shit 24/7 'story'" progression. I can forgive them trying to push the cash shop, the game's f2p, after all, and in my experience Cryptic has always been fairly reasonable with paid stuff (cosmetics, utility upgrades, that sort of stuff, not really pay to pwn stuff).

On the other hand I found the combat system to be fairly engaging. Unless that stuff is all the rage these days to begin with (wouldn't really know, honestly), it's fairly refreshing and even though I am generally not a fan of Hack'n'Slash, it beats locking on to something and cycling through skills again and again and again. Also I'm still shocked at how pretty this game looks. In a way it's a minor point, but I tend to walk at the slowest speed in these games and this time it pays off quite a lot. Transitioning often takes on a touch of majestic and for lack of a better description it simply feels good to walk around and inhabit that world. I wish there'd be more to do in that regard (walking is not even in the keybinds, you have to enable it with a console command; there's no emote tailored to sitting on a stool or couch; your basic and almost sole interaction with the world is "attack"), since the fun in this game, at least in my opinion, certainly doesn't come in the form of quests.

Not entirely sure how long it'll keep me hooked, but that depends mainly on PvP, customization and guild features and how active the community of foundry authors turns out to be. Still, the foundation looks decent and there's some potential.

Edit: Note to self: way too much use of "stuff". Read a book ffs!

I've been playing this with a friend over the past week and I'm really enjoying it. The combat is amazingly dynamic for an MMO.

The strengths of this game are in the details of it's systems. For example, many world sounds are triggered server side, so my buddy and I hear the same idle barks and at the same time. 

Does anyone know if the Xbox One and PC clients will share servers? 

How dynamic is it compared to something like GW2? It sounded like someone had wedded the WoW quest structure to something more modern and thus made a game that can't do interesting quests because it has to keep the world static.

In terms of combat it's significantly more dynamic. Blocking is really important for my warrior, but I have to press shift to raise my shield and block when an enemy takes a swing at me - it's not a passive proc. Also your sword just swings when you click and connects if an enemy is there, as opposed to WoW where your character has to tab-focus a single target and is forced to attack automatically at regular intervals. The combat overall is more on the hack and slash side, but there is still some structure to the flow.

The quest structures and objectives are standard as can be, but I think the environment design is strong enough to make up for that. Combat aside, the game doesn't really do anything original as far as I have seen, but it doesn't pretend to be more than what it is which is nice.

How dynamic is it compared to something like GW2? It sounded like someone had wedded the WoW quest structure to something more modern and thus made a game that can't do interesting quests because it has to keep the world static.

Somewhat more dynamic than GW2 I'd say. There's more to do than just dodging out of red circles (keep in mind I'm only level 40 in GW2 and 30 or so in NW) but positioning matters about the same amount in the end.