Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I try to use the Netflix star rating system in my life where it's

1 star - hated it

2 stars - didn't like it

3 stars - liked it

4 stars - really liked it

5 stars - loved it

I try to avoid using half stars, but I will use 2.5 to reflect something I'm truly neutral on.

5 hours ago, supasheep said:

A friend of mine often insisted on using a scale from -10 to 10 for rating things so that a 'normal' or average experience would be a 0, and everything was rated relative to that. I guess you end up with the same difficulties, instead it's about what a 0 is on that scale.

That kinda gives me a chill. 0 feels like some sort of void to me.

I prefer to give things letter grades. We all know how we're supposed to feel about getting a D.

:eyebrow:

@SecretAsianMan Why not keep a bag of those little disposable flossers in your desk? That way you don't have a thing you have to keep clean it's a little less intensive. 

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:51 AM, Rilen said:

@SecretAsianMan Why not keep a bag of those little disposable flossers in your desk? That way you don't have a thing you have to keep clean it's a little less intensive. 

Believe me, I have bags of those things everywhere.  Its the time between when I run out and getting more that it drives me nuts.

I wanna follow a bunch of random teenagers on Twitter because I am super out of touch and wonder what youth culture is like these days. What is the best phrase to search on Twitter to guarantee finding a teenage Twitter user?

2 hours ago, Patrick R said:

I wanna follow a bunch of random teenagers on Twitter because I am super out of touch and wonder what youth culture is like these days. What is the best phrase to search on Twitter to guarantee finding a teenage Twitter user?

Follow Teen Vogue.

There are 3 stalls in the men's room at work.  The doors on two of them open out while the middle one opens in.  I'm really irritated by this and am seriously considering bringing some tools from home to make them all open out.

My main motivation for wanting to reverse the middle door is because it's hard to tell if it's occupied or not.

3 hours ago, Problem Machine said:

Make it so when you try to open one it opens the next one over. Turn that bathroom into a Zelda puzzle.

Turning them into a combination lock would be a fun exercise.

Over the last few years, I've spent almost no time in gaming communities besides the Thumbs, and I had actually forgot how ugly and toxic they can be on just an hourly basis.  But Mass Effect has got me visiting another forum for news and stuff (because god forbid Bioware have any organization or plan about communicating with players, it's all scattered about).  And the frequency that there's "jokes" about diversity, BLM, autism, gays, feminism, etc., is almost ever present.

So anyways, good reminder that y'all are awesome and there's a damned good reason a lot of us settled in here.

Yeah, I was hanging out with a friend who is a personal trainer and she was talking about a subreddit where she chats with other trainers. The following exchange took place:

"It's tagline is 'A Safe Space For Lifting" which is a joke about safe spaces."

"I don't understand, what's the joke?"

"You know. *chuckle* 'Safe Spaces'."

"Like, the joke is that they exist? Isn't that kind of shitty?"

"I guess. But the subreddit's been around for a long time now, you know?"

Having this person who I love, respect, and have known for almost a decade is a good reminder that sometimes, when their main interactions with the world happen through a lens of reddit or similar, good people can internalize some kinda fucked up shit. Thanks Thumbs, for not being that. Although I do worry sometimes that this being MY main interaction with the online world makes me let my guard down a bit more than I should...

7 hours ago, miffy495 said:

Although I do worry sometimes that this being MY main interaction with the online world makes me let my guard down a bit more than I should...

My time here has made me MORE guarded about the rest of the Internet because every time I peer into another corner my default position is it won't be nearly as hospitable as this place is.

I'm just gonna copy a Facebook post I made last night:

I just realized the show Wilfred, starring Elijah Wood, is basically Garfield.

It seems obvious now, but the reason I finally made this connection is because last night I had a dream about Jon Arbuckle, as played by... Elijah Wood.

(My dream was less consistent with the Garfield continuity, as it featured an immortal, time-traveling Jon Arbuckle living in hiding in present day apocalypse. Presumably caused by Trump, since I dunno why else I'd be dreaming about apocalypses...?? But that's irrelevant.

So, yeah, Wilfred is Garfield.)

Mark Hamill is now older (and was for Force Awakens) than Sir Alec Guinness was when Star Wars: A New Hope was released.