Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

There's nothing like Secret Santa to remind you of how little you know your coworkers.

I recently referred to it as a £5 - £10 Christmas tax. I was mistaken. It costs more than that. It costs time.

And everyone just throws away the tat they receive from each other. We might as well just ceremonially flush £5 down the toilet in the name of an anonymous colleague. It'd require less aimless searching and strained reactions.

Seriously, all I know about this guys is that he's a middle-aged warehouse temp whose son is trying to buy a house near where I used to live. I've spoken to him literally once. My current plan is a generically humorous mug.

I'd like to make it clear, though, that I'm not this bitter about the whole season. I love Christmas. I just hate this Secret Santa bullshit. There's only one person at work with any enthusiasm for it, but nobody had the heart to tell her no.

Moan moan moan.

nobody had the heart to tell her no

You have only yourselves to blame, then!

Oh I know. It's a like a tragic play. We were cursed by our own inaction.

I haven't found the guy anything yet, but I did buy a ring binder for myself. I'm a lot of fun.

It's a play! A tragic comedy! THE LAMENT OF ROAST BEEFY O'WHEEFY! HA AH!

I don't know what budget you're working with, but get him some nice chocolates or a bottle of wine or something. Those are great secret santa gifts because they're almost never unwelcome, and you can get someone something nicer than they would otherwise buy for themselves as it's hard to justify dropping like $10 - $20 on a handful of nice truffles or something

Every office I have worked or volunteered in has had a water cooler, I think it's nice to have around for cold water, or for water hot enough to make eat, instant coffee, ramen, etc. I wouldn't mind tap water if I lived in places with good tap water, the tap I had in Colorado was wonderful but Florida tap was awful. Texas is okay, but I'd still rather drink from a water cooler.

I recall my relatives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan having some gross ass fart water, but I assumed it was just me and what I was used to. I've had some good water tasting experiences in Texas so far. I kind of like it more from the tap than actual filtered bottled water.

We have one of those water dispensers on our fridge with the filter but Arizona water is still hot garbage. So I just put lemon juice in every glass of water.

I also get a lot of kidney stones partially because of our shitty water (according to my urologist). So yeah, fuck Arizona water. I try to go exclusively Kirkland Signature when I can.

Man if that were the case where I live, I'd never want water from the tap. I don't know what kidney stones feel like, but I never want to find out.

One of the reasons I find fiction about same-sex relationships so valuable, beyond any matter of representation, is that with heterosexual relationships in fiction I always have a wonder if the author is trying to make a statement about what they perceive to be the differences between men and women. Characters can't just be individuals, because they carry that baggage. 

What are some good books with same sex relationships in them?

I've come across some minor homosexual relationships in writing but I don't think I've read anything of substance for a while.

Ru2k0h2.png

For Charlie Brooker fans (and MGSV fans).

I laughed so hard at that. I finished MGS5 a few nights ago and still don't know what Snake's name is supposed to mean.

Then you haven't REALLY finished MGSV, have you?

What I just said is shitty, but if you have the patience to endure two more endings and another 30-ish hours of gameplay, it's kinda explained...

I like to think in some parallel universe, Kenny Rogers made Star Wars movies and George Lucas was a country musician who started a restaurant chain.

I wish the comma was a standard key on a keyboard number pad.

It is on many European keyboard layouts :)

Annoying when using software that expects periods as decimal markers though

I debated putting this post in the life thread due to somberness, but since its more of a general question than a thing that happened I will put it here.

I never know what to say to people who are having a rough time, like a relative dies, they lose or don't get a job, they get dumped, they or someone they care about gets a bad diagnosis, they are going through a depressive episode etc. This may be because whenever any of these things happen no-one has ever said something that made me feel better. What usually does make me feel better is reminding myself that people care about me and that I don't live in Syria so my life could be way worse and I should stop whining.

Occasionally my office will send cards to coworkers who had something bad happen in their life. I never know what to write in cards like that. If its family, a close friend or a significant other all I know to do is say "I'm sorry" and hug them and tell them I'm there if I need them, this feels inadequate. But with acquaintances and coworkers I have no idea what to do. Anything I say or write just feels hollow because I know someone saying that to me wouldn't really make me feel better.

Thoughts?

Best advice I've ever heard about reacting to that situation is to 1) convey suitable, simple condolences (it doesn't matter if any one person's words has an effect, hearing something kind in aggregate may help some people), and 2) if you want to do more, offer specific help that's within the bounds of the relationship.  If it's a work colleague who is stuck in the hospital, ask if they've got anything in their desk they might need.  Small time of your day, might be huge for them.  If it's someone you're close too, offer to bring food, shovel snow from the driveway, vacuum their house, get the oil changed on their car if they may need to drive on short notice, etc.  Ask yourself, what would you forget to do if you were in their shoes.  If you're very close to the person (very old friend, close family), just do something they need.  They may not even feel comfortable asking for help, even if they need it.  But that's reserved for a few relationships. 

Ultimately most people will turn down the help anyways.  But communicating to them that you're willing to take specific action to help them can be a very powerful and helpful message whether it is needed or not.

I really hate being told what to do by people I barely know or don't respect. I used to be totally for saving energy and being environmentally conscious, but as soon as some asshole tells me I have to. I immediately stop. It's the same for everything, and I know it's incredibly childish, but people telling me to do something I'm already doing makes me furious. 

I also can't tell if it's because I dislike being told what to do, or it's because the people who tell me are usually strangers (i.e. "it's University policy") or people I can barely tolerate being around. Bah, stupid rebellious streak. 

Griddlelol, I order you to take down your trousers and underwear before you poo.