Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Second random thought: It bugs me when people leave time on the microwave after they're done using it.  Those 17 remaining seconds are useless to me.  Either leave your food in for the time you entered or hit clear when you're done.  Is that really so hard?

This is the fucking worst.

This is the weirdest conversation in the world to me. I don't even think of it as "leftover time" I just think of it as what the microwave shows if you pull something out early. It takes one button to clear it. Sometimes people remember to clear it sometimes people don't. That is one button you have to press. I can see it being slightly annoying, maybe, but such anger?

Not cleaning the microwave in shared environments is definitely a way worse problem.

You're not supposed to brush your teeth straight after eating (and I assume this goes for coffee and soda too) because there's acids still on your teeth and brushing them in eats away at the enamel. I think you're supposed to wait 20 minutes or something. Eating straight after brushing is apparently fine, outside of the minty after-taste.

This is the weirdest conversation in the world to me. I don't even think of it as "leftover time" I just think of it as what the microwave shows if you pull something out early. It takes one button to clear it. Sometimes people remember to clear it sometimes people don't. That is one button you have to press. I can see it being slightly annoying, maybe, but such anger?

Not cleaning the microwave in shared environments is definitely a way worse problem.

It's the same reason I turn the lights off when I'm the last out of an empty room - my brain says it's the right thing to do. Not clearing a microwave is the wrong thing to do.

It's being unkind and failing to rewind.

Except turning the lights off is a matter of saving electricity. If you're the last one out, no one is around to turn it off and it will stay on for God knows how long. A microwave uses the same amount of electricity either way, and in this context there's a person right behind you who can hit clear in the matter of .5 seconds. Their fingers will already be there anyway. It's not the same amount of energy as replacing a roll of toilet paper or anything, it takes no time and effort to correct.

I'm not saying it's not the right thing to do, but to cause such ire is baffling to me, unless just seeing numbers on a microwave you're about to use upsets you in an OCD kind of way.

It doesn't matter to me but I'm guessing it bothers people not because of the effort involved (in fact it being easy means that it's easy for someone to do themself) but because it indicates a tiny sleight where you haven't thought about the next person enough to do them a tiny courtesy and leave the microwave in the state you found it.

or you just forgot

i forget all the time in my own home, and it's not 'cause i'm lazy, i just actually forget and when i see it later i'll hit the button and oh well

I guess it just feels like an easy thing to forget to me, because I neither care about leaving numbers there nor do I care if anyone leaves numbers there for me. Because the maximum amount it can affect my life is that I have to push one more button on a keypad. So to take it as a sleight or a sign of rudeness is just odd to me. I bet if I were to look at my microwave in my home right now there'd be some leftover time on it.

I think most people who do it probably also don't care if they have to be the ones to hit clear. Because it is such an impossibly tiny thing to correct. It's like if someone borrows your stapler and when they put it back on your desk they don't put it at the exact 90 degree angle you had it before. It doesn't mean they don't think you are worth it, it just means they probably didn't even think about it.

Especially when you have a limited amount of time for lunch and you are just trying to get your food. It's an easy situation to get distracted in.

Now, the dirty microwave thing is way different. Because if you don't wipe that damned hot pocket cheese off the glass the moment it gets there, it will harden and turn black and never leave. That seems worth getting angry over.

Forgetting to flush your shit in the toilet, that's rude.

Forgetting to hit the clear button on the microwave?

Y'all got some priorities you need to get sorted!

I didn't say it was justifiable or rational, I said I fucking hated it. it really, really bothers me. I will point out that I know how immensely stupid I am right before I whine about it, and yet I know I'm not the only one.

Whether or not you care above the something is irrelevant to how polite it is. The whole point of politeness is that you're making concessions for other people's sake.

This microwave is the most banal slight to any person I've read recently. Also what kind of shit microwaves do you have that don't just reset the timer to 0:00 after half a minute of idling?

I think it's rather inane to be caught up over it. Then again I'm someone who has to look out incase I've done it after being lectured by my boyfriend over it.

Though I had no idea that most of the microwaves I've used have been shit for lacking idle numbers functionality.

For being written on a virtual keyboard posting this wasn't so bad. 

Besides what SBM said about the lack of consideration, I'm mostly bothered because the times I notice it most are when I look at the microwave for the current time but instead I see "00:17".  Also a lot of microwaves will incessantly beep at you telling you that the cycle paused.  The person who just walked away won't hear it but that doesn't mean I can't!

I think it's rather inane to be caught up over it. 

You're 100% right. You're correct, it's silly, and I know it's silly.

It doesn't change the wave of annoyance that washes over me when someone doesn't clear the microwave.

Besides what SBM said about the lack of consideration, I'm mostly bothered because the times I notice it most are when I look at the microwave for the current time but instead I see "00:17".  Also a lot of microwaves will incessantly beep at you telling you that the cycle paused.  The person who just walked away won't hear it but that doesn't mean I can't!

I think the beeping is a game changer. Leaving something beeping is pretty bad.

My microwave at home either has time left on it, or is flashing 88:88 because I can't be bothered to set the time.

I'm your worst nightmare.

(I don't use the microwave at work because there's always a queue and it's always dirty).

I dunno grid, sir times a dirty queue can turn out if be a lot of fun.

I have to get a new microwave. Mine is broke:/

My microwave frustration is irrational, I know that much... But it's compounded by the usual left empty water cooler. Shop of 50 and somehow I end up changing the water a statistically high amount

We have a water cooler. I don't really know why. Some people don't like the taste of tap water. It's nice that you can instantly get hot or cold water out of it, but it seems kind of silly.

Every office I have worked or volunteered in has had a water cooler, I think it's nice to have around for cold water, or for water hot enough to make eat, instant coffee, ramen, etc. I wouldn't mind tap water if I lived in places with good tap water, the tap I had in Colorado was wonderful but Florida tap was awful. Texas is okay, but I'd still rather drink from a water cooler.

I've seen those water jugs get delivered where I work but where they end up I have no idea because I've yet to see an actual water cooler around.  All the water fountains here have filters attached to them which are changed fairly regularly and dispense nice, cold water.

I've never seen a water cooler in an office. Don't you have tap water?

I don't actually know why they have a cooler back there. There is a sink, but maybe the water has a mineral taste.  I do know a lot of people use the hot water for tea and coffee though, so maybe that plays into it.

I work in a light-manufacturing plant though, the front office is ~20 people with another 50 in the shop, in side spoilers is the rack of water that clears out every 1.5 wks in the summer, 2-3wks in cooler weather.

post-33948-0-09244900-1450200946_thumb.jpg