Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Yes, yes I do.  Not folding and sorting them would result in a civil war in my house.  It's one of the lady's little OCD things I indulge (and lord knows she indulges some of mine, so that's fair.

Yes, yes I do.  Not folding and sorting them would result in a civil war in my house.  It's one of the lady's little OCD things I indulge (and lord knows she indulges some of mine, so that's fair.

Fair enough!

Does anyone else besides me wear their socks inside out on purpose?  I find them to be much more comfortable that way.

FINDING FORESTER

I have like 20 or 30 pairs of the same kind of black puma sport socks. No sorting. Just pick any two.

I had a separate drawer from my partner so she could fold her socks and I could throw mine in. I also own about 50 pairs of black socks. No need to fold and sort if they're all basically the same.

I realised I've not done laundry in like 3 weeks. It's too cold at the moment and nothing drys. It just ends up staying damp for a few days then smelling bad. I should really do some tomorrow.

Matching socks is also a very silly custom, but I exclusively wear long pants that cover up my socks anyway. Maybe it's different if you wear shorts or skirts or dresses.

What exactly is the point of Mensa? I know loads of parents sent their kids there when I was at school. None of them turned out to be particularly clever.

I've been looking it up recently, and they don't seem to do anything. Just talk about how important they are.

I actually did join Mensa, and yeah, basically it's a social club. No-one really talks about how super-duper-smart they are in the club, because obviously everyone else there is also pretty smart so they're not going to be impressed. Problem is, intelligence is nice to have but what you really want out of a social group is 1) mutual social compatibility and 2) no jerks, and if you already have an entrance exam, you don't really get away with kicking people out who passed the entrance exam but turn out to be jerks. I have a better social group, fewer geniuses, they don't like hawaiian, but otherwise much more enjoyable.

Mensa makes a lot more sense when you find out IQ and IQ tests were promoted by the American eugenics movement. The idea that intelligence is a desirable quality in and of itself is a really old-fashioned notion.

I know loads of parents sent their kids there when I was at school. None of them turned out to be particularly clever.

I'm mostly responding because of this, though, because this doesn't seem possible and I want more information. If 'loads of parents' were taking their kids to gifted programs, you would have noticed at least one of them doing well on like a national exam or something.

My mother took me to mensa when I was small and bored at school. While they did have some interesting puzzles, the kids there were just as socially awkward and snooty as I myself was, so I didn't enjoy it and refused to go back.

I never knew they had meetups! The only time we got tested was when we were given an IQ test in school and told it was not an IQ test. It was the most IQ testy test i have ever seen.

I know one guy who has a mensa keychain, but that is about it.

I'm mostly responding because of this, though, because this doesn't seem possible and I want more information. If 'loads of parents' were taking their kids to gifted programs, you would have noticed at least one of them doing well on like a national exam or something.

I don't think sending your child to Mensa classes actually requires any sort of entrance exam. Many of them were those who were struggling in maths class, so their parents sent them there in the hope that they'd get better.

Just to note - at this point I was in a private school, and the idea of your child doing bad was essentially social suicide among the parents. I think it was more of a social thing, where they could say "Oh little Joe/Jo isn't doing well in class, but is doing fantastically well at Mensa classes."

Wow, that brought back a memory of me being put in the dyslexic class for 2 weeks because I was failing all my spelling tests at about 9 years old. I distinctly remember how they gave us the most easy stuff to learn, and it quickly turned out that I wasn't dyslexic, I was just lazy. That's kinda a tangent though.

I don't think sending your child to Mensa classes actually requires any sort of entrance exam. Many of them were those who were struggling in maths class, so their parents sent them there in the hope that they'd get better.

Just to note - at this point I was in a private school, and the idea of your child doing bad was essentially social suicide among the parents. I think it was more of a social thing, where they could say "Oh little Joe/Jo isn't doing well in class, but is doing fantastically well at Mensa classes."

Wow, that brought back a memory of me being put in the dyslexic class for 2 weeks because I was failing all my spelling tests at about 9 years old. I distinctly remember how they gave us the most easy stuff to learn, and it quickly turned out that I wasn't dyslexic, I was just lazy. That's kinda a tangent though.

Oh right, so Mensa was in the business of private tutoring in your area.

Oh right, so Mensa was in the business of private tutoring in your area.

I guess so. I was pretty young, and I only really remember the kids talking about going to Mensa, and my mum groaning about how much she disliked the other parents when they had their bimonthly parent meet ups.

That school...well the people who sent their kids to that school were weird.

If it's fake, there's at least 2 accounts involved (completely possible, but a hell of a lot of work for a joke).  It's just...holy shit.  I also used to have some people just like this on Facebook (most of whom have either unfriended me or I've unfriended them over time), and this nails the way they type online.