Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

you are not a doer of the law but a judge

I spent a good 5 minutes trying to figure out what this meant before I realized it said "doer" and not "deer".  Although I do like the sound of the phrase "deer of the law".

I spent a good 5 minutes trying to figure out what this meant before I realized it said "doer" and not "deer".  Although I do like the sound of the phrase "deer of the law".

Relevant profile pic ^

Has anyone ever used the "Insert" key on your keyboard on purpose?  When I say anyone, I don't mean all of humanity, I mean literally the people reading this post.  Same for scroll lock.

I probably pressed them a couple times to find out what they did, but that was many years ago and I no longer even remember.

Has anyone ever used the "Insert" key on your keyboard on purpose?  When I say anyone, I don't mean all of humanity, I mean literally the people reading this post.  Same for scroll lock.

Yes.

To undo having pressed it by mistake :P

I also use that set of keys for extra buy binds in CS.

Some of the commands I use at work include the Insert key, but I've never used it in any other situation.

there are so many hold over keys from the early days of computing. I used to have some ability bound to insert when I played WoW. Does that count?

I suppose I should have said that I meant using the insert key for it's intended purpose (whatever that is).  I assumed that people would have rebound it for games, something I've done myself.

I suppose I should have said that I meant using the insert key for it's intended purpose (whatever that is).  I assumed that people would have rebound it for games, something I've done myself.

I used to use the insert key when I was younger. My dad had a computer whose sole real purpose was word processing, so I would type out little stories or "essays" in practice. If I knew I didn't like anything I had written, I would go back to the beginning, hit the insert key, and just write over everything that was there before. Mostly I just press it on accident now. This was before I knew things like shift+home or shift+pgup or ctrl+a to highlight everything and delete it, and i would have had to sit with the delete or backspace key pressed down.

When filling out poorly done electronic forms in Word, it's useful to push insert so you can just overwrite the line of underscores as you type instead of typing and then deleting the extra characters.

This is the only purpose I can think of.

I think if I was trained to use it at an earlier age, it would make sense. But as is it takes way more effort to remember the insert key exists than it does to delete text and then write text.

I like the overwrite function in word processing and general type input - but my primary work program doesn't support "Overwrite" in application.  

So I am relegated to using Shift-Insert / Ctrl-Insert when trying to show the key some attention which is silly because copy/paste is much more natural on as an all left hand function.  

What I would use it for is 10-key entry - but the Numpad "insert" is essentially non-functional w/o turning off NumLock.  To get the alternate key command is to hold shift - therefore negating the command.  I suppose I could train myself to turn off numlock more - but that is so counter intuitive and no-time saving VS having fingers back on ctrl c/v.

On the weird topic of key boarding - I knew a woman in college who didnt use "Shift" to capitalize.  She would left-pinky hit the Caps Lock toggle on and off every time capitalized a letter.  It was pretty incredible to watch since she was extremely adept at this and could type like an average person

The only weird "keyboarding" technique i have is to keep home row at AWEF / JIO; - asdf / jkl; feels awkward on my hands.

In the weird topic of key boarding - I knew a woman in college who didnt use "Shift" to capitalize.  She would left-pinky hit the Caps Lock toggle on and off every time capitalized a letter.  It was pretty incredible to watch since she was extremely adept at this and could type like an average person.

My last partner did this! It was weird!

Using caps to capitalize is weird!  I disabled my caps lock key years ago and use it to bind a custom command to now, since I use that command several dozen times a day and might want to use caps lock a few times a month. 

Back in secondary school (translation: high school), a small group of people who knew what the Insert key did started a dumb prank whereby they'd go over to peoples' unattended desks and press the insert key in MS Word, then watch in amusement as the victim tried to figure out what was going on. It lasted for a while before it was figured out, then it moved on to the lower year group and started all over again.

How do you express anger on the Internet, though? Don't your pinkies start to cramp 5 pages into your diatribes?

Surely you'd still only press the Caps lock key twice for the whole rant, right?

I think Mangela is saying your fingers would cramp from using shift instead of caps lock...

The only weird "keyboarding" technique i have is to keep home row at AWEF / JIO; - asdf / jkl; feels awkward on my hands.

I've never thought about it before, but I keep my left hand on <AEF ('<' is next to 'z' on Swedish keyboards, the left shift is shortened) and the right hand on JILÖ ('ö' is to the right of 'l'). Or maybe JIOÖ sometimes. I'm self taught though.

Today I learned an interesting thing about serial killers. The stereotype of them being mostly white is completely incorrect, and has been for decades. As of 2010, 56.2% of US serial killers were black. That means that in the US, there are 8.6 times more black serial killers per capita than white ones. While they do skew towards being twenty-something years old, that trend isn't as strong as the stereotype taught me to expect either. They really are overwhelmingly male though.

What criteria or definition are they using for that database to define serial killer?  There are at least a couple of different law enforcement and academic definitions, which are significantly different than what the public concept of serial killer is. 

https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/serial-murder

"Serial Murder: The unlawful killing of two or more victims by the same offender(s), in separate events."

There are tons of misconceptions about what a serial killer is. For example a mob hitman is a serial killer. So are medical professionals who purposely kill their patients. I wonder how they were defining it here.

I took a sociology class on killing, here a book we used if your interested in the topic: http://www.amazon.com/Serial-Murder-Ronald-M-Holmes/dp/1412974429