Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Yeah my parents get all kinds of mail for me from my high school asking for donations...

hahahaha fuck you i didn't like going there anyway shitwads

my undergrad probably just doesn't have any address to send to, the asswads

my master's was a for-profit school so screw those dickwads

I'M STILL DROWNING IN STUDENT DEBT SO LEAVE ME ALONE YOU FUCKWADS 

Yeah my parents get all kinds of mail for me from my high school asking for donations...

hahahaha fuck you i didn't like going there anyway shitwads

my undergrad probably just doesn't have any address to send to, the asswads

my master's was a for-profit school so screw those dickwads

I'M STILL DROWNING IN STUDENT DEBT SO LEAVE ME ALONE YOU FUCKWADS 

I've actually gotten phone calls and mailings from my graduate institution for donations because I did a masters there. Apparently, their system doesn't have a way of noting that I'm currently in the same program getting a Ph.D. Right now, I'd just be giving their own money from my funding back to them.

I work for a non-profit where I make so little money that Turbotax recommended that I apply for food stamps. I filed separately from my wife this year so they didn't have the whole picture, but it was still symbolic. They regularly send me mail asking me to spend $75 for tickets to a fundraiser or to make "my annual donation" to help all these people in need who I am actually intimately familiar with.

I get emails from my old university and I just graduated last year. Also, they know I have a degree in Canadian Studies - how much money could they possibly think I have?

I was just kidding zeus. It is pretty gross of them to try and wring some more money out of you.

I was just kidding zeus. It is pretty gross of them to try and wring some more money out of you.

Yeah I know. It was meant to be an ironic rhetorical question. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who probably would call me ungrateful for not wanting to give back to the institution that, in its ultimate graciousness, allowed me the privilege of paying boatloads of money to work my ass off for years.

Yeah I know. It was meant to be an ironic rhetorical question. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who probably would call me ungrateful for not wanting to give back to the institution that, in its ultimate graciousness, allowed me the privilege of paying boatloads of money to work my ass off for years.

Alumni giving is one of the biggest things that can push an institution up the US News & World Report, both in terms of number of people giving and total amount given. A university trying to improve its standing in the report, which directly correlates to better attendance and investment, can spend large amounts of money in reforming its department structure and building new facilities, or it can push more volunteers and temps to busk for donations. Sadly, most choose the latter, and it's the US News & World Report that's mostly to blame, although that doesn't excuse them for being goddamn annoying and/or clueless.

My undergrad will call me periodically. The annual fund (what my tiny liberal arts school calls the fundraising department) hires students for work study money to call through and ask for donations. They waited about a year after I graduated before they started calling, and I told them that I didn't make enough money to donate, and no one called me again for like 9 months, and by that time I actually had a steady job and could give $10.

The only reason I got to go there was because the huge financial aid package they gave me, and they only had that because people donated to the annual fund. I love my alma mater, and it was a very important time for me, and I'm very thankful to be in a position, where even though I'll be paying off my student loans for a long time, I at least can contribute some tiny amount to helping some other kid go there.

Hm, the only thing the Art Institute ever bothered me with was asking me to write some kind of testimony on how good the school was for my life during the time the U.S. government was suing them a few years back. I said I'd write something up and just instead sent in a negative tirade about what a waste of money it was and how almost all of the teachers were lazy amateurs. I'm guessing it was deleted. Didn't really make me feel better, still in a bunch of debt for a crap school that I'm embarrassed to name out loud to anyone.

My alma mater is constantly bugging me for donations.  Even when I actually do agree to give them something, they try to guilt me into giving more.  "Oh, you're going to give us $50?  That's nice.  But you know what would be really great?  $300".  This comes from a school that got $20 million from Bill Gates.

My alma mater is constantly bugging me for donations.  Even when I actually do agree to give them something, they try to guilt me into giving more.  "Oh, you're going to give us $50?  That's nice.  But you know what would be really great?  $300".  This comes from a school that got $20 million from Bill Gates.

I hope the guy asking for money from Mark Zuckerberg thanked him for his donation but asked "you know what's cool...?" 

The lady spent 2 semesters at one college back in the early 90s, and continues to get quarterly requests from money from them.  She actually has degrees from two other colleges, one has never asked for money and the other asks about once a year. 

Considering money is considered speech in the states now, expanding "freedom" is not an inaccurate descriptor of American foreign policy. 

Wasn't the ostensible reason they got into the Spanish-American War and the Philippines to bring 'freedom'? I mean, as well as the actual reasons, securing cheap land and ensuring their ships had places to restock supplies.

Yeah, we're all about freedom land gold shipping oil freedom.