Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I need to find a doctor and go for an annual check up for the first time forever. I also need to go to the eye doctor.

My parents switched insurance providers so that even across the country I'm still in the network. I already went to the dentist after part of my orthodontia broke last month.

I just realised I could quite easily be alive when the centenary for the formation of bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin comes round. That seems so strange to me.

So I've been developing an idea about a young evangelical cult member who gets pulled into a fantasy world and drafted into an actual culture war, and I decided recently one of the villains, one who exemplifies black-and-white morality and the use of guilt and shame as a tool of control, should use social justice language. I felt I was drawing a bit too much from the right wing - many of the more powerful villains draw from the right - and it turns out that there's plenty of material to work with, and having groups to the left of the heroes gives the world the kind of texture it didn't have. Also apparently my storytelling style is to steer directly into minefields and accelerate.

This Joss Whedon being hounded off Twitter thing is conveniently timed, because it gives me a bountiful harvest of left-leaning, self-justifying excuses I can put into the mouths of the villains. Danielle retweeted one about how anger is an appropriate response to oppression and bigotry, which strikes me as exactly the kind of excuse Mother Xin* or her followers would use to justify their execution of people who don't live up to their (unrealistic and inflexible) standards. Anger might be a natural response, but being angry doesn't mean you're righteous.

I expect, if I finish with it, I'm going to draw some flak for having a villain that uses that social justice language, although I suspect it will probably pale in comparison to some of the other plot elements I have planned.

*it's set in fantasy China

Literally a week ago I was saying something about how dumb smart watches are and today for some reason I really want one. Maybe it's because I started running and want the HR/fitness stuff, but fuuuuuuuu. My life is a never-ending carousel of tech lust.

Literally a week ago I was saying something about how dumb smart watches are and today for some reason I really want one. Maybe it's because I started running and want the HR/fitness stuff, but fuuuuuuuu. My life is a never-ending carousel of tech lust.

My wife bought me an Android Wear watch for my birthday and I've been pretty happy with it. Being able to read and respond to my notifications is pretty sweet, especially while driving. The pedometer and heart rate stuff is nice too. My only nag is the battery life. I have to be extra sure to put it on the charger every night.

My wife bought me an Android Wear watch for my birthday and I've been pretty happy with it. Being able to read and respond to my notifications is pretty sweet, especially while driving. The pedometer and heart rate stuff is nice too. My only nag is the battery life. I have to be extra sure to put it on the charger every night.

Good to hear. I ordered a Moto 360 yesterday, $180 is a pretty easy pill to swallow all things considered. If I didn't get the 360, I probably would have ordered a $150 Fitbit Charge HR at some point. I'm kinda worried about battery life too, but I just found out yesterday that the 360 uses the Qi charging standard unlike pretty much all other smartwatches. I luckily have a leftover Qi charging pad from an old phone, so I'll keep it at the office for when I feel like taking off my watch.

You come to a fork in the road guarded by two Six Mix-A-Lots. One likes big butts and cannot lie, the other likes big butts and cannot tell the truth.

You come to a fork in the road guarded by two Six Mix-A-Lots. One likes big butts and cannot lie, the other likes big butts and cannot tell the truth.

I love this.

I laughed and want to share this with everyone.

I'm assembling another candy package for our favorite podsters and I need some ideas again.  Jake's getting his usual, Danielle's getting Jr. Mints of course, and one more item I'm going to keep a mystery for now.  I know they already get a good amount of edibles from the sponsors so I don't want to send too much, but I'd like to have something for everyone if possible.  Any suggestions?

Edit: Ok Chris is covered now too.

Get him Minties.

I don't know if he likes mint, it's just that Minties are great.

Sour Patch kids are the best candy. No idea if Sean likes them, but they are the best.

I inquire as to the capabilities of the other brothers.

I inquire as to the capabilities of the other brothers.

I love this place.

Anne, Becky, and Charlene look at her butt. By inductive reasoning, they conclude that she must be dating a rap guy. 

Had some liquid nitrogen leak today and got a bit of a light show.

Something that really bothers me is that after spending 10's of thousands of dollars to get through college and finally graduate, there is this expectation that I will turn around and donate more money to the university.

Fuck that. Tuition literally doubled as I went through college and in the end I was paying a few thousand dollars a semester. I still have another 5 years before all that student loan debt is paid off and yet I still regularly receive shit in the mail asking me to give them more money.