Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Driving since 17 but 90% of my travel is done with transit. I agree that the best thing is never needing to drive to get somewhere or to get food. A car is 100% necessary when you have kids though, even if you only need it for an hour a week.

Dude writes an iTunes review for my podcast about how he can't listen anymore because I'm too insufferable. Which is fine, that's his right.

Then, 20 days later, he writes us a longer e-mail saying the same thing. Why? What happened between March 10th and tonight? Why?

It's clear that you didn't see his letter and immediately take step to correct the problem for him, the consumer. So therefore he needs to send another letter directly to you so that you are aware that you're not holding up the end of this contract.

But Patrick he's the consumer. If you don't do what he says then all the other listeners will stop too

Exactly. View it like Nielsson ratings. One complaint is like... 10,000 Americans who are unhappy with your free entertainment.

My daughter started doing the whole "floor is hot lava" thing recently and that got me thinking. Is this a game that is hardwired into every human being and naturally surfaces at some point during adolescence without any external factors? I don't remember ever teaching her the art of the hot lava game and I don't remember anyone passing that knowledge down to me either despite the fact that I played it in every grocery store that had differently colored tiles interspersed among the normal tiles. Maybe it is just a manifestation of our burning desire as human beings to form and recognize patterns.

I remember playing that as a little kid, and don't remember it being explicitly taught by anyone else.  Though given the surprising number of times that lava appears in popular media versus how few of us encounter it in real life, it might just be the kind of thing that in the last 50 years is a common thing to stick in a kids head because of how exotic it seems as a danger. 

It makes a certain evolutionary sense that small children with an instinctual aversion to lava would be more likely to pass on their genes to future generations. 

Evolution in action. It will inevitably lead to us becoming completely lava resistant which will be handy when that super volcano under Yellowstone pops.

When I was young enough to play that with my friends in China, we didn't even call it lava. It was "don't walk on the ghost ground".

I know specifically what got me playing that: video games.  Lava in video games was always bad and as most games around the time I was young time were platformers, it was natural that would turn into jumping around on stuff.  We even took it further and once we beat the lava level, we went on to the ice level and slid around the floor in our socks.

Through my childhood I conceived of a complicated movement-based game where I had to traverse the floor of our house in a certain way based on an entirely imagined grid. I still remember exactly how the grid is laid out across our living room.

So yeah, it's probably hard wired to some extent.  :v

My parents installed sliding floors that revealed actual lava and so it took me years to understand that when other people were playing this game, they weren't just practicing like I was.

Evolution in action. It will inevitably lead to us becoming completely lava resistant which will be handy when that super volcano under Yellowstone pops.

The only way to attract mates will be blowing into Nintendo cartridges.

I watched Errant Signal's video about "peak Star Wars" and now I kind of wish I could start a book club for the Star Wars EU novels. They were such a huge part of my literary diet as a kid, to the point that I'd buy one at Borders and then wait up to six months before reading it to savor the anticipation, and then The Phantom Menace happened and I never bothered with them again, except for a brief re-read of the Thrawn Trilogy to see if it was actually good (I'd rate it a middling or low B as a sci-fi novel). It'd be really fun to go through the bad as well as the good with smart people who've read a lot, but the trick there is convincing people to read a Star Wars novel (and then to read some more).

I watched Errant Signal's video about "peak Star Wars" and now I kind of wish I could start a book club for the Star Wars EU novels. They were such a huge part of my literary diet as a kid, to the point that I'd buy one at Borders and then wait up to six months before reading it to savor the anticipation, and then The Phantom Menace happened and I never bothered with them again, except for a brief re-read of the Thrawn Trilogy to see if it was actually good (I'd rate it a middling or low B as a sci-fi novel). It'd be really fun to go through the bad as well as the good with smart people who've read a lot, but the trick there is convincing people to read a Star Wars novel (and then to read some more).

*raises eyebrows conspiratorially towards the book forum*

Every time I watch a youtube video I see an ad with this douche:

This isn't the video, I can't find the ad. But the ad is him in the same garage pitching his get-rich-quick scheme, bragging about his Lamborghini and books.

YouTube ads are the worst.

I don't understand anything about that ad and I refuse to watch it for three minutes to find out what he's selling. Who is he even?