Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Oh I'm sure it won't be long before that urge hits again. For now you guys are safe though.

Fecal loading sounds like someone is prepping a poop cannon.

This is a very half-formed thought, but:

I kind of wonder if the assumption that capitalist entities only exist to make money isn't playing right into the hands of people who want to ignore basic ethical standards. Like, is there anything inherent in capitalism that says we can't expect corporations to not be dicks? They're already treated as equivalent to people, so why can we not hold them to the same standard? Like, seriously. Let's imagine we're in a world where we hold corporations to basic human responsibilities: don't punch down, clean up your shit, be nice, have good table manners. How does that break down?

For people, we have a whole host of expectations of basic behaviour for humans, which we suspend when we're talking about a corporation and not, say, a club. For example, if a club leaves shit everywhere, it's obviously the club's fault and we don't need a law to assign blame for this. A corporation does it and we apparently need an organisation that can slap them around.

Is it just that a corporation is so large that we can't expect bad reputations to spread? Or that there's no real way to shun them in the way that people can be shunned? Or that, if you shun the workers of that company, they respond that the job market's not liquid enough to support people resigning in protest... but then what happens if in this thought experiment we also have the Standard Income? Like, you do have hedge funds and banks who pledge to only invest in corporations that have a minimum ethical standard, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility, but we're treating that as a special extra rather than as a baseline.

I think I drank too much caffeine today. My legs feel like they are going to rip themselves off of my body and go running away at full speed and my heart is beating out of my chest. Also, I keep getting distracted by shiny things.

Some fansub group I follow posted a screencap into which they'd edited the words "Smoke weed erryday" and someone immediately commented, "I don't think that we should smoke weed 'erryday,' but I do think that we should smoke weed everyday." Seriously, a pothead pedant? No hope for humanity.

I'm just imagining a crotchety English madam teacher with a joint and a 420 blaze it t-shirt on over her dress.

"One does not lose one's capability for proper speech from smoking marijuana, I think I have made that quite clear in the past Sebastian. Now please spell everyday correctly."

Was it Ben?

Ha ha! Hey, I don't correct people for stuff like that! I am a pedant of an entirely different stripe!

Um... I'm an English teacher, and have definitely chipped in on this thread in the past. Due to being a teacher, there is something else that I can't talk openly about on a public forum. I leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusions about why I may be posting this information right now. Is there something wrong with this?

I don't have a problem with a president doing it, and I don't have an issue with a teacher either with the caveat of maintaining a safe, professional, healthy learning environment etc if there was the possibility it could interfere with teaching somehow.

I'm confused by what's being implied here, but I didn't mean to portray teachers in general any particular way, specifically just crotchedy old English school marms.

I have to say that when I was a stoner high school student my English teacher seemed both the most aware of the fact that I was totally blazed and the most cool with it.

My freshman high school English teacher had a collection of Smurf figurines on her desk that she talked to.  If she wasn't high, she probably should have been.

Why didn't the rocket blow up Buzz at the end of Toy Story? If it wasn't going to, why did they go through the trouble of saving buzz in the first place?

Why didn't the rocket blow up Buzz at the end of Toy Story? If it wasn't going to, why did they go through the trouble of saving buzz in the first place?

I think it explodes in the air right after they detach from it. But I seem to remember that all it takes to detach from the rocket is for Buzz to activate his wings which is weird.

But maybe he still needed Woody because before he saw the commercial he would assume the rocket is real and not explode and after he saw the commercial he needed Woody to talk him out of being suicidal.

But "they" didn't even see the rocket, only Woody did. The other toys were trying to save Buzz from the bush with monkeys and then after that gave up, I guess.

Wasn't it that opening buzz' wings caused them to cut the tape that was holding him to the rocket? Because his arms were taped down, he couldn't hit the button to pop the wings, so he needed Woody to hit it for him? Man, I remember a lot about that considering I haven't seen the movie since I was about 13.

Wasn't it that opening buzz' wings caused them to cut the tape that was holding him to the rocket? Because his arms were taped down, he couldn't hit the button to pop the wings, so he needed Woody to hit it for him? Man, I remember a lot about that considering I haven't seen the movie since I was about 13.

But you probably watched that movie several times when you were 13, right?