Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I had seen We're Back for my 8th or 9th birthday and remember enjoying it, but watching it on VHS a year or so later I felt bored. Also remember when it took forever for movies to come to home video?!

Also why did you expect people not to laugh at you for being Alfalfa?!

Man, whatever happened to Bug Hall? Little Rascals, The Big Green, Honey We Shrunk Ourselves, he was all over the place in the 90s. I miss that dude. He was a fellow freckle-face like me and I always felt like we were long lost brothers.

We're Back was top-good. All about that singing T-rex.

Zeus bringing up Little Rascals and Honey We Shrunk Ourselves reminds me of a movie I liked as a kid, Little Giants.  Even at that time I didn't get why a girl playing football was a problem, especially since she kicked everyone's butt.  The only thing that bugged me about it was that she put her football uniform on over her cheerleading outfit which I thought looked silly.

Ladybugs I wasn't as into because I never thought he made a convincing girl, probably because I saw it sometime after Sidekicks.  Rodney Dangerfield always entertains me though.

I hate children and bad children deserve comeuppance, but man... I was reading the plot synopsis of the movie on Wikipedia and it says that those children and their parents were "removed from the tour" but I never got any indication that those kids weren't just getting straight up killed by the crazy experimental candy that they couldn't resist. It just didn't seem... right? Was there any chance that Willy Wonka would have ever voluntarily picked any of those kids even if they didn't pass the obstacle course of the tour?

Maybe I just have trouble suspending my disbelief.

For what it's worth, in the book everyone survives, as I recall. I don't know about the movie because Gene Wilder creeps me out so I never wanted to see it.

On the animated track Land Before Time & An American Tail were hot vids in our house (originals, never seen the extended universe of either brand).  Other notable hits to pique everyone's nostalgia memory - Fern Gully, All Dogs go to Heaven, and Little Nemo.  Of course all the Disney films were popular tapes too, but as a kid i didn't differentiate between studios - but knew there was a difference in quality of animation & movie between a Once Upon a Forest and say Lion King

I also feel like there was a large amount of TV piracy in my youth.  My Ma must have made a dozen or so VHS tapes of cartoons to pacify the three of us (all boys) - including (but certainly not limited to) weird Flintstones & Jetsons crossover, batman & scooby doo cross over, TMNT, yogi bear, after-school specials, etc

Eventually we got a nintendo and passive cartoon watching morphed into active game playing

Oh man the Jetsons movies were among my favorite.

Also loved the massive amount of Hanna Barbera Christmas movies. And loved loved loved when they'd show up during Cartoon Network's Christmas in July events.

Best crossover ever: Scooby Doo and the Harlem Globetrotters.  Second best crossover ever, Gilligan's Island and the Harlem Globetrotters.  Are the Harlem Globetrotters the best special guests ever?  Yes they are. 

I also loved like ALL of those wacky Scooby Doo guest characters. Harlem Globetrotters were probably my favorite.

I think my favorite guest was actually Cass Elliot aka Mama Cass of The Mamas and the Papas.  All I remember is that I found that episode to be especially funny, which coming from me is a lot because I HATE Scooby-Doo.

Am I the only one who thinks that Charlie and The Chocolate Factory is a really sinister movie with brutal, joyful killings of children? I could never understand why people liked it so much.

Willy Wonka is a fucked up guy.

Also, the best Scooby-Doo guest star is clearly Harlan goddamn Ellison.

Wat? When the fuck did that happen?

Wat? When the fuck did that happen?

The most recent iteration, Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated, had him as the only real-world guest star. In his first appearance, he's a rival-turned-comrade to an HP Lovecraft stand-in. In the series finale:

The gang changes the timeline and he is revealed to be the only multiversal constant, the only person besides themselves who recognize that the timeline has changed, meaning that he's always Harlan Ellison in every reality.

It's a really, really good series; even if you're not much of a Scooby-Doo person.

It's a really, really good series; even if you're not much of a Scooby-Doo person.

I can vouch for this!

I've known about the existence of this for ages but never actually seen any of it. I choose to retain my assumption that it's basicall G.I. Joe with more Columbian Neckties.

Also, don't forget Robocop.

To briefly go back to the topic of violent movies that got kid friendly animated versions,

I still like Home Alone.  I remember wanting a Talkboy as a kid and being extremely disappointed that I never got one.

I had a talkboy. With eight batteries those things were too heavy for weak children like me but I always loved having it to... I'm not sure I probably recorded fake radio shows.

I found my Talkboy when I was back home over Thanksgiving! However, the fake radio tape I made with my brother is still at large. I need to find it and launch it in to the sun in case either of us runs for public office.

h46WSHc.jpg?4

I also found the receipt for my Game Boy Color on that trip. My first "big" purchase! I made most of the money by selling a bunch of my Pokemon cards to a kid in my class. I kind of ripped him off...

Back on the animated track, did anyone ever watch We're Back or Once Upon a Forest as a kid?

I watched We're Back - how exactly did a movie about friendly sentient dinosaurs in 90s New York become a movie about an evil circus? I mean, normally I like movies that start off as one thing and then end up as a completely different thing - Australia is not a good film, but I still enjoy it - but We're Back just... doesn't work.

Am I the only one who thinks that Charlie and The Chocolate Factory is a really sinister movie with brutal, joyful killings of children? I could never understand why people liked it so much.

Roald Dahl is a goddamn national treasure and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is honestly one of the tamer ones. He relies a lot on the grotesque, which is probably good to expose kids to so that they can recognise it later in life. I remember The Witches the most, which is a book about monsters that wear human skin that hunt and eat human children, and while on holiday a boy and his grandmother discover the witches are having a convention at the same hotel. The kid does manage to kill the witches, although he's turned into a mouse, and so he and his grandmother become witch hunters.

I wonder how misogynistic it'll end up being as an adult.

Ladybugs I wasn't as into because I never thought he made a convincing girl, probably because I saw it sometime after Sidekicks.

I loved Sidekicks because it was filmed in Houston and I wanted to be a ninja... in Houston.

Apparently local mattress tycoon Mattress Mac put up 8 million to get it filmed there.

The most recent iteration, Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated, had him as the only real-world guest star. In his first appearance, he's a rival-turned-comrade to an HP Lovecraft stand-in. In the series finale:

The gang changes the timeline and he is revealed to be the only multiversal constant, the only person besides themselves who recognize that the timeline has changed, meaning that he's always Harlan Ellison in every reality.

Scooby Doo has always been one of my favorite cartoons, and one of the few that I enjoy as much as an adult as I did as a kid.  I haven't watched any of the more modern shows.  I'll have to watch the newest one though, thanks!

I think the next time I get tickets to a show that sells out I'll just sell the tickets for a little profit. Saw Sleater Kinney tonight and they were amazing, but there was no room to dance and this dude stomped on my toes about 50 times.