Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

There is zero point in watching Goonies as an adult if you didn't see it as a kid.

Isn't that true of most live action kids movies? I've never seen Blank Check, but I'm sure it's awful to watch as an adult with no knowledge of it.

I do find that hard to believe about Goonies though. I'm going to have to see if anyone I know hasn't seen it. I know a few 20-25 year olds, might be able to find someone.

Isn't that true of most live action kids movies? I've never seen Blank Check, but I'm sure it's awful to watch as an adult with no knowledge of it.

I do find that hard to believe about Goonies though. I'm going to have to see if anyone I know hasn't seen it. I know a few 20-25 year olds, might be able to find someone.

31 (so, I think I'm about right for Goonies-age), and I have never seen The Goonies. I've been exposed to a scene or two (in college, I think), and sure, .gifs, but I have no earthly idea what that movie is about.

I still love watching The Sandlot. It's so good!

have seen Goonies, multiple times, and I still don't really know what it's about. ):

31 (so, I think I'm about right for Goonies-age), and I have never seen The Goonies. I've been exposed to a scene or two (in college, I think), and sure, .gifs, but I have no earthly idea what that movie is about.

Eeeep, that was easy! You should totally watch it then. It's like an experiment, with Junior Mints as both scientist and subject.

Junior Mints as both scientist and subject.

That doesn't sound very ethical. It's like Gone Home all over again.

That doesn't sound very ethical. It's like Griddlelol's laboratory all over again.

Both me and my girlfriend watched the Goonies for the first time about 2 years ago, and I'm 25, and we both didn't like it, so the theory holds water so far. I could see why kids would like it though.

In the same vein, we also watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, which we hadn't watched before either, and it was fucking awful. The Goonies was better.

Nostalgia does a whole lot of propping up people's memories. I discovered that a long time ago playing classic video games.

Huh, I saw Bill and Ted's the first time as an adult a few years ago, and I thought it was fine.

I'd say Bill and Ted, the first and second movie, are on another level where adults can also enjoy the stupidity. Kind of like Weird Science I suppose?

I saw The Goonies for the first time a few years back and I didn't particularly like it either.

Studies show The Goonies actually sucked.

We just watched Bill and Ted's with our daughter in the last few months, she's 20 and enjoyed it. And she's not shy about hating our old people crap when it's something she didn't like.

Talking about nostalgia, I went to the Cereal Killers Cafe in London this weekend, which has gained a lot of notoriety as you pay £5 for a bowl of cereal.

Arriving at the cafe, there was a wait outside the cafe that went down the street. We spent most of the time in the line arguing whether it was worth the wait. 30 mins later we were actually inside the cafe. And oh boy, there was a lot of cereal:

10959628_10155245497155038_1041809594154

Including collector's cereal:

10968396_10155245496335038_8588609969478

10991227_10155245496935038_6329318866410

Urkel-o's? I didn't even know that was a thing! Surely the perfect cereal for Zeus. And bill and ted cereal?

We ordered a cereal cocktail, which consisted of: Trix, Fruitloops, fruitloops marshmallows and strawberry milk. It looked like this:

10995826_10155245497885038_1413280515699

It was fucking delicious, to our surprise.

To be honest, it wouldn't have been as impressive if they hadn't have gone so full-on 90's with it all. They even had a bank of telly's showing old TV shows, on VHS, no less:

10426341_10155245498235038_5043152351213

10947272_10155245497635038_1632008457289

We thought it was really fucking cool. Well worth the wait and not deserved of the negative press.

Bill and Ted is awesome. I am 27 and have also never seen the Goonies. Or Back to the Future, if we're admitting things.

Talking about nostalgia, I went to the Cereal Killers Cafe in London this weekend, which has gained a lot of notoriety as you pay £5 for a bowl of cereal.

That place looks awesome! My favorite local coffee house has a cereal breakfast bar, with like 5 seats and a few vintage televisions showing 80s cartoons. But it's like a shade of the dedication that place went to. They do have a neat little randomizer on their site so if you don't know what kind of cereal you want, you can just have a robot pick a combo for you.

I liked The Goonies back in the day but my enthusiasm for it has waned over time. 

Bill and Ted is dumb fun. 

I loved The Sandlot but I haven't seen it in FOR-EV-ER (bonus points if you get that reference) so I don't know how it holds up.

Rookie of the Year was ok, although there are certain parts of Little Big League that I enjoyed more.

Blank Check never sat well with me.  Even as a kid I didn't like that he just decided to take a million of this guy's dollars (granted that million was also illegally obtained but the kid didn't know that!).

Surf Ninjas is an exceedingly stupid movie... but I still like it.

I don't remember enough of 3 Ninjas or Ritchie Rich to have an opinion.

I still like Home Alone.  I remember wanting a Talkboy as a kid and being extremely disappointed that I never got one.

Bill & Ted and Back to the Future aren't kids movies!

ET is the actual Objective Best Kid's Movie because it's Spielberg at his height, it has amazingly naturalistic kids performances, it captures a lot of honest things about children and empathy, and if you are a kid and don't care about any of that stuff it's about finding a gross but lovable alien friend and hiding it from your mom.

People can like what they like for whatever reason they like it, but I never ever trust people's opinions on movies they watched a lot as kids*. I have been burned so many times. It's why I haven't seen Willow or Labyrinth or Dark Crystal. 

Sometimes I get it wrong: I just saw A Christmas Story for the first time in December and it's really really good. I suspect Princess Bride is also probably good but I'm super suspicious.

*Also, parents of kids who have to watch the same children's films over and over again, and try to tell me every Dreamworks movie is "actually pretty good". No! Stockholm syndrome!

I had a talkboy. With eight batteries those things were too heavy for weak children like me but I always loved having it to... I'm not sure I probably recorded fake radio shows.

EDIT: Also Labyrinth is only worth it to see the breakout role of David Bowies crotch but these days you can get that on tumblr anyway.

Oh man, Willow, I don't think I've seen that once since I was a kid.  I have no idea if its any good or not. 

For some weird reason Labyrinth was in vogue last year, two of my local theaters ran special nights with it and we went to one of them.  It's ridiculous, but still awesome.  But I also super love puppetry. 

Sandlot holds up except for some of the special effects with the giant dog but it was such a well-shot and well-written movie that it really withstood the test of time. Same with The Princess Bride. 

I'm not as into Princess Bride as most other people are.  I had never even heard of the movie until 7th grade when I moved to a new city and everyone talked about it constantly.  I got tired of being out of the loop and watched it.  I was left disappointed because of the extreme amount of hype everyone put on it.  I think it's a good movie but I went into it expecting the greatest film ever made.  When I didn't get that I was left kind of down on it.

I love A Christmas Story but I've also seen it a billion times (thanks to it being shown every Christmas for 24 hours straight).

E.T. (the character, not the movie) is fuck-ugly and creeped me out as a kid. He reminds me of the creepy, uncanny, overly-detailed CG versions of traditionally 2D cartoon characters we keep seeing, except much more obviously a stiff puppet.