Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I don't really know how starring in a movie that got an Oscar nomination for Best Picture and getting nominated as Best Actress are simply swept under the rug because of her billing. Oscars take place in February and X-Men came out in Spring of that year, so I doubt that'd give them time to shift their marketing significantly. If you look at the posters for First Class, Fassbender and McAvoy are in the forefront with J Law and Kevin Bacon almost taking up the same space.

I don't really know how starring in a movie that got an Oscar nomination for Best Picture and getting nominated as Best Actress are simply swept under the rug because of her billing. Oscars take place in February and X-Men came out in Spring of that year, so I doubt that'd give them time to shift their marketing significantly. If you look at the posters for First Class, Fassbender and McAvoy are in the forefront with J Law and Kevin Bacon almost taking up the same space.

You and I are agreeing with different words.

You and I are agreeing with different words.

I agree that we are agreeing. I meant to cite my agreement with you in my post.

Technically, the A-list are people who will be a draw if invited to a party, and the B-list are people who will be interesting party guests but won't be a draw on their own. The term comes from professional party and entertainment planning. (The C-list is sometimes described as people who are obligated to receive an invitation but wouldn't normally rate one.)

The analogy is clearer this way - 'A-list stars' are actors for whom people will go to see a movie because a particular star is in it.

By that definition, I'd bring back up Jovovich. Surely the reason people keep watching Resident Evil movies is because she's in it, right? And she had several action scenes in Fifth Element if you want to call that her breakthrough, but she was first a main character in Resident Evil I guess. I can't argue for/against Dazed and Confused, not having seen it.

Anybody have examples of stories in games, books, films, TV shows etc that effectively use coincidences to drive a plot forward in a way that doesn't feel contrived? I see them in Coen films a lot and they usually seem to be done for the purpose of comedy or to show some theme about fate or chaos. Cowboy Bebop does it a lot too, but in that instance it constantly feels artificial and convenient.

Just finished Vagabond and it manages to do this largely because you are given the impression that the person with whom they encounter coincidence is significantly noticeable with the size of the community in which she wanders. It is by.... Agnes Varda. I'm starting to think that Agnes Varda is the person you want to look at for this query.

I remembered loving Adaptation for that when I was younger. Full disclosure though, I was a teenager when I saw it and we all know that teenagers often like things that their adult selves would find stupid. I'm kind of afraid to watch that movie again for how much I liked it back then.

I get where you're coming from, tberton, but I think in Alien, Ripley is not an action role. She does not fight, she does not participate in action scenes. It's a strong and interesting female role, but it's Aliens where Ripley became a female action hero. Aliens is also about survival, but Ripley's actions are much more proactive in that and involve things one associates with "action roles" like firing weapons, stunts, defeating the big bad, etc. Same as Katniss in Hunger Games.

I'm not sure if we disagree here. Alien is not an action movie; neither is The Hunger Games.

Which is the best non animated kids movie: 3 Ninjas, Surf Ninjas, Blank Check, or Richie Rich?

My vote is for Blank Check. It is the Citizen Kane of non animated kids movies.

The Sandlot is a damn good answer but it lacks the child wish fulfillment that Blank Check has. I always thought the best non animated kids movies were those that had kids doing things that a lot of us probably fantasized about as kids. So kicking people's asses as a ninja, having a rollercoaster at your house, or using a Macintosh to fill a check out for a million dollars and then buying a mansion with a water slide that goes from the master bedroom to the pool.

Jumanji is just kids constantly on the verge of death and as great as The Sandlot is, it's really just a bunch of kids being assholes to the new kid and ruining his erector set.

The shining firs wish fulfilment. He gets to run around a giant hotel all by himself with his two new bestirs! Real talk though, Goonies.

Oh man, I forgot about Rookie of the Year. That totally deserves a spot on the list. I did consider Home Alone but just being home alone and out smarting some burglars just isn't as exciting and fantastical as some of the other ones.

The dumb kids sports movies were always kind of fun for me as a kid even though I've never had an interest in sports. It just made you feel like life would be a good thing as a kid where your dreams would come true based on some kind of dumb luck or event. Sandlot was definitely another favorite. I think all of those movies are stupid now though, hah. I'll still watch Home Alone if it's on.

Also I really liked The Cure even though it was about AIDs and super depressing.

Yeah. I guess watching mob flicks over ice cream and venturing into big brother's room has nothing on that ridiculous VR room and waterslide. How did he buy all that crazy shit with only a million dollars?

The Sandlot is a damn good answer but it lacks the child wish fulfillment that Blank Check has. I always thought the best non animated kids movies were those that had kids doing things that a lot of us probably fantasized about as kids. So kicking people's asses as a ninja, having a rollercoaster at your house, or using a Macintosh to fill a check out for a million dollars and then buying a mansion with a water slide that goes from the master bedroom to the pool.

Jumanji is just kids constantly on the verge of death and as great as The Sandlot is, it's really just a bunch of kids being assholes to the new kid and ruining his erector set.

Real talk: my wish fulfillment when I was a kid wasn't receiving a theoretically infinite amount of money. It was having a group of friends to run around with like that dude had. ):

The shining firs wish fulfilment. He gets to run around a giant hotel all by himself with his two new bestirs! Real talk though, Goonies.

Good lord I shouldn't post on my phone, I look like I'm drunk.

Seriously though, you're all wrong.  It's Goonies.  There's pirates, and super heroes, and treasure, and ghosts and awesome villains!  It's like a bunch of kids playing make believe Indiana Jones. 

My brother and i practically wore the the tape out on our copy of Dune

As an adult i have a completely different fondness for the film and books - but at first glance when i saw it as a +/-8r old it is a cool sci-fi flick with (at the time) slick visuals, some action scenes, creepy - but not super scary elements (baron's face and rebban's head).  There is a lot for a kid to chew on in that movie, many many questions come up - due to some bad exposition and assumed book knowledge few are answered.  Maybe pique some interest in the books then too!

I feel like i also watched Police Academy and Problem Child a lot as a kid.  Power Rangers were pretty rad

Which is the best non animated kids movie: 3 Ninjas, Surf Ninjas, Blank Check, or Richie Rich?

My vote is for Blank Check. It is the Citizen Kane of non animated kids movies.

Kangaroo Jack.