Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Recently I've been wondering why noodles came into existence. They're kind of cumbersome to eat, you can't easily consume them with your hands, they're not really a mobile kind of food. I guess possibly because slicing up/stretching out dough increases the surface area for boiling and has consistent cooking?

Recently I've been wondering why noodles came into existence. They're kind of cumbersome to eat, you can't easily consume them with your hands, they're not really a mobile kind of food. I guess possibly because slicing up/stretching out dough increases the surface area for boiling and has consistent cooking?

Well, they kept better than bread and don't taste terrible like hardtack. That's something.

The Frederick News-Post is making an early entry in the 2015 category for Best Take Down of an Asshole by a news organization. 

I'm going to be laughing about that for days.  Sitting in on that editorial board meeting would have been an absolute treat. 

The Frederick News-Post is making an early entry in the 2015 category for Best Take Down of an Asshole by a news organization. 

I'm going to be laughing about that for days.  Sitting in on that editorial board meeting would have been an absolute treat. 

My favourite bit is the first letters of every paragraph.

Well, they kept better than bread and don't taste terrible like hardtack. That's something.

Gah I love noodles.  So tasty.

Random thought I had for a while is why are there so few animals that have their digits bend outward?

By outward, I assume you mean the opposite of what humans have? If so, my guess would be it's easier to pull things (like food!) toward yourself when the digits bend inward toward the body, and so it's naturally more advantageous to evolve that characteristic over time.

But I ain't no evolutionary biologist so.

By outward, I assume you mean the opposite of what humans have? If so, my guess would be it's easier to pull things (like food!) toward yourself when the digits bend inward toward the body, and so it's naturally more advantageous to evolve that characteristic over time.

But I ain't no evolutionary biologist so.

Yep, that's what I meant and yeah that's also my guess and of course I'm no biologist either so yessssss

Sometimes I wonder if I spend abnormal amounts of time in deep thought. I've realized recently that in my hour or so of commuting every day, I don't really hear or comprehend any of the words in whatever podcast I am listening to because I am too distracted with some thought or another. I'm starting to wonder if it is actually becoming a hindrance in my day to day life because there are some days where I just keep putting off things I need or want to do so I can finish whatever train of thought I was on. It is especially bad after going into the garage in the evening to consume my intoxicating substance of choice because then I come back inside and see an inviting couch to just sit on and think with a slightly different perspective than I had a few minutes prior.

So, on another random thought note, I find it interesting how throughout the day, I will get random surges of euphoria mixed in with random surges of melancholy and hopelessness. It's just weird how fleeting those feelings are and how they pop up out of nowhere, stick around for a few seconds or minutes, and then go away. It's almost become a meta experience where I recognize I am suddenly feeling abnormally happy and start to guess at how long it will last and when I will feel shitty or frustrated again. Then when I start to feel shitty, I just sit there wondering how long that will last and when I will get a surge of euphoria again. I wonder if a lot of this is just some weird placebo effect where I am only noticing it because I am expecting it to happen and if it is, I wonder if it would be possible to harness that to steer myself towards longer and more lasting periods of feeling good. Then I realize I just wasted a whole shitload of time.

I am the biggest butt. I get so internally frustrated to see people doing bad work, even though this is in a course for all levels so everyone's learning at their own pace yada yada yada.

But that doesn't stop me being irritated to see a guy on my project team copy and paste from tutorials he doesn't understand while trying to get it to work with images he took off Google images and photoshopped a bit. This is supposed to be an Android app people will actually use, so seeing the mess on his screen makes me wince.

I AM being a butt for caring too much but I'm able to be a butt and still be partly right.

I agree with you while also sometimes doing what that guy does (with the intention to later go back and understand it the code) if I'm in a rush. Maybe that's his plan? (It probably isn't. I've seen programmers getting PAID to do that. It's... special.)

I met a cosplayer at my local mall recently. I recognized the costume so we talked for a bit, and he seemed like a nice guy. I don't know if this makes me a bad person or not, but there was something about the way he talked about things that made me really really not want to associate with him. As far as I could gather, he and a couple friends were at the mall doing some kind of stunt to show off their costumes like in some kind of public inside joke, and that really ticked me off for some reason. I don't know anything about this person's life or background, but I immediately assumed that he got some kind of sense of exclusivity and superiority for following a relatively esoteric subculture. We talked about hobbies and games, each topic of which he seemed a little too serious and a little too uppity about, like regulations in trading card games and western treatment of eastern culture and how it's viewed as nerdy. The latter topic felt rather uncomfortable as I was there as an east asian person eventually talking about cultural appropriation with a white person dressed in a half kimono. I have nothing against anime and manga specifically, but this was a particularly negative interaction I had with someone who seemed to enjoy these things as an integral part of his identity, pushed away from superiority in conventional society creating his own sense of competency in a made up arena. I dunno. It's just a vague sense I get from otaku culture, that this kind of obsessive interest is simultaneously a convenient distraction from and exacerbation of pressures from society, and an identity made in bad faith. Am I a bad person for assuming all of these things just from an uncomfortable 20 minute conversation?

I dunno, if you had a 20 minute conversation with him he must not have been that bad. There are people I like that I don't have 20 minute conversations with.

I don't know if making a mash up between snake and a rogue-like in simple python for a job interview is a good idea but I guess I'll find out.

. Am I a bad person for assuming all of these things just from an uncomfortable 20 minute conversation?

I would have made all the same assumptions based on him being in cosplay at a mall. So no?

Am I a bad person for assuming all of these things just from an uncomfortable 20 minute conversation?

I make assumptions about people who are just walking down the street all the time. I don't think I have much of a choice about making the assumptions initially. For me the douchebag-threshold is at the point where I start telling the other person who they are and why they hold their beliefs. I think making assumptions is inevitable, but trying to define the other person rather than letting them define themselves is foolish and hurtful.

That said, we don't all have to be friends. It's nice that the two of you got to talk, but if you are no longer curious about them I'd keep walking next time you see them (assuming they do the same).

Do you folks have friends who share the same interests and ideas as you do?

I understand having friends you might not agree with can be important but sometimes I wonder why I'm the only one I know who cares about the stuff I do.. I might just be overly sensitive though.

Maybe its normal, maybe these thoughts are normal; Perhaps everybody secretly thinks this about themselves and we all think we have more layers to our personality than we actually do. 

I've started swimming again and it is making me so hungry. nomnomnomnomnom.

Do you folks have friends who share the same interests and ideas as you do?

I understand having friends you might not agree with can be important but sometimes I wonder why I'm the only one I know who cares about the stuff I do.. I might just be overly sensitive though.

Maybe its normal, maybe these thoughts are normal; Perhaps everybody secretly thinks this about themselves and we all think we have more layers to our personality than we actually do.

Back in the days where I had friends, we shared very few interests and our similarity in ideas only went so far. Seemed like what we had in common was the chosen activity and/or space. But as we committed to activities and spaces together, we developed shared histories and realities (meaning the thing we ended up having in common was memories of hanging out and the personality-residue you get from being exposed to each other over time (another way to think of this is the roles that you end up filling for each other start to be more permanent parts of your personality)). A large part of the reason that I don't have friends anymore is that I decided that the requirement of consensus about what we do and where we do it was holding me back from doing the things I really wanted to do. To be honest, my wife is interested in similar activities and spaces and she's plenty of companionship. We talk about subjects so deep in our own gnarled histories and realities that talking to other people just feels like naming bands and discussing the weather. There are some exceptions. I have some friends from back in the day where when we are in the same town we see each other and it's like we never moved away; the conversation picks back up immediately. But I still don't want to hang out with them for more than a few hours because we like doing different things.

Does anyone else on these forums live in Arizona? I don't think I've ever seen a single other person here showing any place in Arizona as their location.

I'd also be curious to see a global map showing all of the locations represented by people in this community.

Does anyone else on these forums live in Arizona? I don't think I've ever seen a single other person here showing any place in Arizona as their location.

I'd also be curious to see a global map showing all of the locations represented by people in this community.

i'd also be interested in this...so!

Webform

http://tinyurl.com/of93pm4

Map

http://tinyurl.com/n6cmn88

Populate and prosper

**Edit - holy smokes Twig that was fast.  I was putting in my entry and was already the second in the list

Oooh. I gave my country and address, but it demanded an area code (we don't have them here) so now I live in Beverly Hills it seems.