Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I can't imagine leaving my wallet and keys somewhere at work, or anywhere outside the house actually.

Part of it is for comfort, but part of it is also out of necessity for me.  Whenever I go into the plant, I have to pass though an airport-like security checkpoint which involves bomb detectors, metal detectors, radiation detectors, and X-Ray machines.  My desk is outside the security checkpoint so its far easier for me to leave things like keys and wallet there than bring them inside with me.  I will admit that on more than one occasion I've left my wallet at work.

Not sure if this is the right thread but it'll do. I was proofreading a text for someone and there was a sentence that bothered me, yet I couldn't quite articulate why. Maybe someone who's better at English than me can!

"the photon excites the electron, which in turn de-excites"

This isn't the actual sentence because the person in question wouldn't want me posting it to strangers on the internet, but it's more or less the same thing. Anyway, even though it's sequence of events that are casually related it just sounds wrong. Is it because it's being used with an intransitive verb?

I could say "he hit the ball, which in turn hit the cat", but it doesn't have to be the same verb repeated twice. "He hit the ball, which in turn broke the window", right? On the other hand "he hit the ball, which in turn fell [to the ground]" again it sounds wrong with an intransitive verb. Or is it something else?

Hmm, it feels like the the sentence is cut short.

"The photon excites the election, which in turn de-excites." Could also be written as "The photon excites the electron. The electron de-excites." "The electron de-excites." isn't an incomplete sentence, but it sure doesn't have a lot of information in it. Maybe try something like "The photon excites the election, which in turn de-excites and emits light." Also, optional commas around "in turn." I've always used them, but apparently they're like the Oxford comma, some people use it and others don't.

Commas suck. Burn all commas.

Anyway that sentence seems fine to me. I've always disliked being verbose for verbosity's sake. You know exactly what that sentence means right? So it's not a big deal.

SHRUG

seriously fuck commas tho

So my little brother is in a game design course where they had to suggest ideas for mods to Oblivion. He just submitted "Wizard Puncher" without much of an idea what it'd be, and it got voted through so he then had to do up a full pitch for it. And then the pitch got the most votes, so he's making that now.

I guess I should go buy Oblivion.

So my little brother is in a game design course where they had to suggest ideas for mods to Oblivion. He just submitted "Wizard Puncher" without much of an idea what it'd be, and it got voted through so he then had to do up a full pitch for it. And then the pitch got the most votes, so he's making that now.

I guess I should go buy Oblivion.

Bbpbr.jpg

Not sure if this is the right thread but it'll do. I was proofreading a text for someone and there was a sentence that bothered me, yet I couldn't quite articulate why. Maybe someone who's better at English than me can!

"the photon excites the electron, which in turn de-excites"

So there's two things: 'de-excites' isn't a word, and it's unclear which noun's being referred to as 'de-exciting'. Is it the photon? Has the electron immediately de-excited? What does that even mean?

Kind of wishing I hadn't read that right before bed.  Fucking tragedy.  And goddammed heartbreaking to read the people trying to reach out to her.  

Also, a Riot dev tweeted his number to her before anyone knew what had happened, and started getting harassing phone calls.  Fuck the Internet.

Wow.

I don't think I've ever read the suicide note of a Real Person before. It really bothers me how jokey and sarcastic it sounded. Not to say it was jokey or sarcastic (I feel like this post is already getting away from me). I just mean... I joke around like that with my close friends all the time. A lot of those things (barring the trans issues) are things I might say to my friends. They come from a real place, but I joke about them to air them out and loosen up. I don't... know what I'm trying to say. It's sort of surreal, I guess. I don't like it.

---

Also not to like belittle the above, but MERUS:

I am fairly certain that when you have a sentence with two nouns, subject and object, preceding the phrase "which in turn", which itself is then followed by a verb, said phrase and verb always refer to the latter of the two preceding nouns - that is, the object of the first sentence, rather than the subject. It's the "which" that gives it away, I believe. If you wanted to describe further actions of the subject, you would say "and", or possibly "and then". A conjunction, if you will!

You're right about "de-excites", but also whatever who cares about that stuff.

“Nancy Wake, who has died in London just before her 99th birthday, was a New Zealander brought up in Australia. She became a nurse, a journalist who interviewed Adolf Hitler, a wealthy French socialite, a British agent and a French resistance leader. She led 7,000 guerrilla fighters in battles against the Nazis in the northern Auvergne, just before the D-Day landings in 1944. On one occasion, she strangled an SS sentry with her bare hands. On another, she cycled 500 miles to replace lost codes. In June 1944, she led her fighters in an attack on the Gestapo headquarters at Montlucon in central France.

Ms Wake was furious the TV series [later made about her life] suggested she had had a love affair with one of her fellow fighters. She was too busy killing Nazis for amorous entanglements, she said.

Nancy recalled later in life that her parachute had snagged in a tree. The French resistance fighter who freed her said he wished all trees bore “such beautiful fruit.” Nancy retorted: “Don’t give me that French shit.””

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/resistance-heroine-who-led-7000-men-against-the-nazis-2334156.html

Should I change my display name? I realized recently that it must make absolutely no sense/seem sort of weird/mean for no reason to everyone who didn't know me in high school.

As an apostate in a Catholic high school growing up, I would occasionally remark that I had been/was being visited by the ghost of Terri Schiavo as a joke to annoy some of my teachers, and I had heard Christopher Hitchens describe Jeb Bush's involvement in the case as strange/unseemly, so I felt that entitled me to think other peoples' opinions on the matter were stupid. I started using it as a username in high school, and it has kept me from having to think of other ones for a while. But now I think it must just seem like an asshole making a jab at a woman and family in a shitty situation, for a bit of cheap, vaguely controversial frisson.

I realize I use slashes much too frequently.

You're right about "de-excites", but also whatever who cares about that stuff.

Maybe it's not in a dictionary, but it's a commonly occuring word in physics. Is there a more appropriate word, or is it just a bad conjugation? People also use the past participle, "is/was de-excited" but it make less sense because it's usually a spontaneous process.

I just had a random thought though! Thread appropriate. It's a relxation process, so you can use that word instead, but I started thinking about it. You say "I'm relaxed", that's past participle again, but it seems to imply that something else has relaxed you. Yet, most of the time it's used as an intransitive verb "I'm relaxing", "music helps me relax". Same thing with "I'm concentrating" / "I'm concentrated". That one's even more strange. What concentrated you!?

One of the guys at work here always plays music out loud on his phone while he's in the bathroom and it bugs the heck out of me.  Not the actual music itself, which I don't care for but can ignore, just the fact that he's playing it at all.  Like he's assuming I want to hear it too.

Maybe it's not in a dictionary, but it's a commonly occuring word in physics.

I figured that might be the case. New words happen all the time, in various contexts, though. Some people are bothered by this (as I've experienced firsthand in many pointless debates with close friends), but it all seems rather silly to me, which is why I said "whatever who cares"!

One of the guys at work here always plays music out loud on his phone while he's in the bathroom and it bugs the heck out of me.  Not the actual music itself, which I don't care for but can ignore, just the fact that he's playing it at all.  Like he's assuming I want to hear it too.

I once worked in a QA department where we had a room to ourselves, about 8-10 people. Shortly after I started, IT for some reason gave us all our own PC speakers, so the room turned into a cacophony of everyone playing their own music (Or that one guy who played that one Massive Attack album over and over [And not even Mezzanine]). It never occurred to me how odd this was at the time, but I was perfectly happy to listen to Kate Bush or the ICO soundtrack or whatever. I wouldn't dream of doing that these days!

Maybe your co-worker is playing music in the bathroom to cover up other noises, though...

You just need to shout "Can't you turn that down, I can't even hear myself shit".