Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

A couple weeks ago I heard of the "none pizza left beef" meme and it now just sporadically pops in my head and I start uncontrollably laughing. Now is one of those times.

I don't know whether to post this in Ferguson or the horrible all-consuming nerd culture #Gamergate thread: 22-year old black man with a 3-foot replica sword fatally shot by police officer. Officer claims the victim was "lunging at him" wielding the sword when he fired, despite the fact that all four bullet wounds are in his back plus multiple witnesses who all say he was running from the officer in question.

I think my friend put it best:

I seriously can't get over this. There are police forces in my country with the brazen dishonesty of a Case One Ace Attorney villain.

"Title is wrong, these are not Blu-Ray rips they are uncompressed DVD rips at 480p. Not only that, but they don't even have Spanish subtitles included in the on the standard DVD rip! 2/10, not as advertised"

"Missing s04e02. Otherwise good. 9/10"

ivent really much to say

Just want to get a new page going to not see that creepy kid's...that i have now also associated with belly tats

ivent really much to say

Just want to get a new page going to not see that creepy kid's...that i have now also associated with belly tats

2b6Xd07.jpg

When I was talking about the name for jaw pain earlier today (TMJ), my wife had a really hard time following any of what I was saying. Turns out she thought I was talking about the Rastafarian "Jah" the whole time. WHAT THE HELL?!

We had this issue with people grabbing the portable speakers out of the Doorman's podium at the theatre I worked at. After replacing them a couple times (they were just little AA powered things, wasn't a huge deal.), we painted the case bright pink and sprinkled some glitter on it. No more thefts.

Can anyone explain why games critics seem to be pathologically unwilling to present their arguments in the form of a series of paragraphs logically linked together that build towards a thesis? Whether it's putting big dividers every three paragraphs, or flipping between two thoughts, or numbering the paragraphs, or presenting their thoughts in five acts for no goddamn reason, it is incredibly pretentious.

It seems like everyone does it mostly because Jenn Frank and Jerry Holkins did it, but 1) both were explicitly expressing an unwillingness to fully engage with the situation they were in, and so the fractured structure developed the thesis 2) Jenn Frank was rambling a bit so it's probably not the best place to look for a style tip and 3) it was still pretentious even when they had a good reason to do it.

Reaction against perceived reductionism of modernist principles, not wholly unfounded.

edited to counterbalance overly reductionist post, but not by much

It would limit expression through pacing to stick to a making one tautology after another. Also, tautologies and convincing contingencies aren't always available and/or helpful for communicating an experience or perspective. More flexible pacing can be an effective rhetoric-tool, especially when used to simulate the author's own experience of slow, fermenting realization.

I would happy with just having a coherent throughline, but I'm not even getting that.

I would happy with just having a coherent throughline, but I'm not even getting that.

I know what you mean. I feel the same way about songs. I'm a big fan of a particular level of theme and variation. I want more than chorus/verse/chorus/verse, but I do want to be able to hear how the third version of the hook relates back to the main melody.