Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

So for those of you who have recent Android phones, what's the stability like? I ask because the Android phone I'm borrowing is a little crashy but it's a 2011 HTC phone so I'm not surprised. How stable do you find Samsung Android phones?

Stability is better than it ever has been, my Galaxy S4 runs practically without a hitch unless one specific app gets a bad update where it resource-hogs in the background or something. Still isn't an Apple-level of "you can be sure it'll be always stable forever (or at least for two years)", unfortunately.

I have a Nexus 4, which is made by LG.  It's in the line of Google's flagship Android phones (the newest one being the Nexus 5).  I occasionally (as in maybe once every few months) have unusual behavior that is 99% of the time solved by restarting the phone.  It should be noted that I also rooted it for a year or so and still mess with a lot of settings so it's entirely possible I'm introducing instability into the system myself.

In general I'd say that it's not totally bulletproof but still pretty solid.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is pretty stable. I sometimes have to restart it when it decides to update 30 apps all at once and then runs abominably slow the rest of the day, but that's something I've experienced on every smart phone I've ever owned. The most unstable that it gets is when I'm out running errands and it's connecting and disconnecting from my car's bluetooth a lot, but just restarting it fixes anything that goes wrong there.

I've had a Galaxy 4 for about a year and a half now and it's pretty great. I haven't charged it since I took it off the plug yesterday morning, and as of this writing (almost 4:15 in the afternoon, so more than a day and a half since last charge) it's at 47%. It has never crashed on me, though SCUMMVM has some stability issues as an app. It's the only app I have trouble with though. On three separate occasions over the last year and a half, it has stopped recognizing my SIM card for a reason I couldn't figure out. This has been fixed with a reboot each time and hasn't come up again for at least several months. In short, I like my Galaxy, and will probably get whatever the newest one is at the time when my next upgrade happens.

So for those of you who have recent Android phones, what's the stability like? I ask because the Android phone I'm borrowing is a little crashy but it's a 2011 HTC phone so I'm not surprised. How stable do you find Samsung Android phones?

Not Samsung, but I have a Moto X and it is rock solid. I have had maybe two instances of software funkiness in the year I've owned it, and I got it from the bloatiest of the carriers.

I think it depends a lot on the device... I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace II X... its a little bit craptacular. It suffers from some serious slowdown with almost any apps. (Also, whatever the hell "SharkDash" is, it stops working within five minutes of turning my phone on every time...) On occasion I've had it shutdown and reset when someone sent me a message on Facebook because that would open the Facebook Messenger app and my phone couldn't handle it because I was doing something else on it at the same time...

I still use my 4 year old iPod Touch for everything except phone calls because it doesn't slow down or crash at all. So I'd say do a little research on the different models (And don't go for the Galaxy Ace II-X.)

Ah yeah, I guess part of the Android thing is that you shouldn't buy anything but the most recent flagship device made by any manufacturer. So right now, you could get a Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3, LG G3, Moto X (Generation 2), HTC One M8, or something like that. If you're going to buy a Nexus, hold off because a new one is imminent.

I had a random thought: 
Ennui-aboo. A good word for recent events. I'm feeling pretty proud.

Edit: I should define that. It came from thinking about anime avatar twitter stuffs.
Ennui-aboo: Someone who leverages their personal boredom and listlessness towards engaging in a poorly researched and over zealous attack on someone else in the community. 

I saw Google Glass in my local CEX (basically an electronics/media pawn shop for those not in the UK). A pretty large part of me wants to buy it just to try it out. It's way out of my price range, especially after just buying a PS4.

Curiosity has really grabbed me though. If this shit if the future I want in on the ground floor.

I discovered today that someone in my city does commission work of making portrait drawings from photos.

2b6Xd07.jpg

Jeff Goldblum totally looks like a 1960s civil rights activist with those glasses.

He looks more like Sartre with two straight eyes and a lower nerd factor.

I discovered today that someone in my city does commission work of making portrait drawings from photos.

2b6Xd07.jpg

Look into his eyes and see hell.

Looks like someone bent that kid's face.

I mean, my art's not great, but I also don't charge people for it.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm rearranging the little boy face on my stomach fat so his features align properly."