Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

The reason I hate changing avatars is, as I think is pretty evident here, I take avatars way too seriously.

I hate when people change avatars because I have no clue who they are anymore. 

Those are basically the reasons I kept using my current avatar even though it's not Christmas.  The other reason is I refuse to use any avatar that isn't Tegan made or approved.

My avatar is Tegan approved, so that's fine.

I've been using the same avatar for like 8 years on most places.  I'd confuse myself if I changed now.

I just found out my Grandma is on Facebook. I am now literally the only human being I am aware of who is not on Facebook (not including my children). I feel like maybe I should give in and just sign up but I kind of want to do my part to preserve this endangered species I belong to.

What's a facebook?

I went to FanExpo yesterday. It was a lot of fun! But I realized something...

Conventions make me feel like a creep.

It's like... "Oh hey look its Jessica Nigri, she's kinda-sorta-famous-ish for looking good while barely wearing clothes... better look at something else... oh hey its someone dressed as Mileena from Mortal Kombat! ...that is a lot of bare skin... look at something else... Poison Ivy! That's some very skin-tight green fabric... okay, look elsewhere... oh thank god someone dressed like Batman! ...standing next to a half-dressed Harley Quinn, dammit."

I dunno, it just makes me feel weird... like, on the one hand, some of these people have put real effort into what they've done, and its fairly impressive. But on the other hand, a part of me knows the biggest reason I'm paying that much attention is the, uh, generous display... but on the other other hand, in at least some cases, theres probably an amount of attention seeking (but thats a moot point anyways because there's no way to tell who that applies to and who it doesn't). I think about how I could never imagine going to something like that dressed with that much skin showing, and how they probably get hit on by odd people all day... and then I wonder if I'm any better than that standing off to the side looking at them.

Sometimes I end up just wanting to be like, "Hi there! Your costume is great, and you look really good in it, sorry if I come off as a bit of a creep about it." But you cant just walk up and say that, that seems like it would be even worse!

Of course maybe I'm thinking way too hard about this or worrying way too much about this. I don't know, I haven't had much sleep the past few days.

Sometimes I end up just wanting to be like, "Hi there! Your costume is great, and you look really good in it, sorry if I come off as a bit of a creep about it." But you cant just walk up and say that, that seems like it would be even worse!

To be honest, this would actually be kind of a really good way to go about it?

Protip: I started using "you look great" as a way to compliment a person's appearance a while back, because it's a direct compliment that carries absolutely no connotations or subtext the way something like "lookin' good" or "have you lost weight?" do.

Is there a website that catalogues commonly-used words and phrases that are racist/sexist/whatever-ist and people just don't realize?

Like fire the longest time I used the word "jipped" thinking that's how it was spelled until I got curious and looked up the etymology. It's "gypped", of course, which was deliberately racist at the time it was coined, but nobody really thinks about it like that anymore. I've since tried to stop using that word.

Another one might be the popular drink, Irish car bomb. Plenty of other mixed drinks too I'm sure.

If there isn't such a website, I kind of want to make one, but it would surprise me if I had to.

My favourite is calling an A-shirt/tanktop/undershirt a "wifebeater." Can you imagine describing any of your other clothing that way?

"We'll head to the drive-through in a minute, just lemme slip on a wifebeater and a pair of child molesters."

Yeah! Wife beater is what triggered this thought earlier today! I'm visiting my grandparents at the moment and let's just day it's a common attire round these parts.

Urban dictionary technically qualifies but it's more of a celebration than an objective catalogue.

If at some point you make this site and adopt wiki-style contributions, it'll probably need to be heavily modded for tone. I can definitely see it evolving into urban dictionary.

My favourite is calling an A-shirt/tanktop/undershirt a "wifebeater." Can you imagine describing any of your other clothing that way?

"We'll head to the drive-through in a minute, just lemme slip on a wifebeater and a pair of child molesters."

I actually looked that up the first time I encountered that word in relation to clothing, and I still cannot believe why anybody would use that word to describe clothing.

Wife beaters are the best.

In the UK the lager Stella Artois is often referred to as wife beater juice, or wife beater for short. 

Is there a website that catalogues commonly-used words and phrases that are racist/sexist/whatever-ist and people just don't realize?

tumblr

If at some point you make this site and adopt wiki-style contributions, it'll probably need to be heavily modded for tone. I can definitely see it evolving into urban dictionary.

Yeah I had already come to that conclusion, heh.

I actually looked that up the first time I encountered that word in relation to clothing, and I still cannot believe why anybody would use that word to describe clothing.

I think it's because women who are thought to beat their wives (rednecks) can often be spotted only wearing an undershirt.

Apparently, cheating is was really pervasive in grade school in Cambodia. Last year, 87% of students passed their final grade 12 exam. This year, the Ministry of Education cracked down on cheating with a crazy result. 93,000+ students tested and 11 got an A. Not 11%, 11 students. 25% passed overall. I didn't even know cheating could get that bad, but... goddamn - http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weekend/three-quarters-students-receive-failing-mark

I'm 100% convinced the events of Total Recall* actually happened. There were too man sinister shots coming from Lori and Harry (his wife and buddy respectively) before he got his Recall trip.

Hauser, the guy who is turned into Quaid, had contacted the resistance during an earlier attempt to infiltrate them and even earned the trust of some of the fringe members (including Melina), but had pulled out when he found out about the psychics.

To get around the psychics, Hauser and Cohaagen created Douglas Quaid. The Quaid package Hauser received included the subliminal image of Melina, the resistance member whose trust he'd gained and was programmed to want to go to Mars and put in a situation where the only way he could go was by visiting Recall, assuring he'd get the 2nd part of his programming: Blue Skies on Mars.

Blue Skies on Mars was a trigger setup beforehand by Cohaagen and Howser to trigger the 2nd phase of the programming and was also a joke between themselves since they knew what the alien machinery could do. The techs say they don't recognize the program and assume it's new. Why bother? I'm guessing it is to setup enough distance between Quaid's motivation and it's actual source to fool the psychics.

Why do people start trying so hard to kill Quaid before he even has a chance to get the idea to get his ass to Mars? Richter.
Richter always intended to kill Hauser / Quaid for cuckolding him, which is why the assassins are trying so hard to kill Quaid, contrary to Cohaagen's wishes.

Cohaagen really is surprised that the plan works out in the the end (and it does, the resistance is smashed and Quato is dead). In the end however his creation, Quaid, was made too well and ends up breaking out of the deprogramming regime and proceeds to actually fulfill the fantasy that was supposed to be a joke.

*as oppose to being all a dream after he goes to Recall. Not that it actually REALLY happened.

>.>

<.<

I'm 100% convinced the events of Total Recall* actually happened. There were too man sinister shots coming from Lori and Harry (his wife and buddy respectively) before he got his Recall trip.

Hauser, the guy who is turned into Quaid, had contacted the resistance during an earlier attempt to infiltrate them and even earned the trust of some of the fringe members (including Melina), but had pulled out when he found out about the psychics.

To get around the psychics, Hauser and Cohaagen created Douglas Quaid. The Quaid package Hauser received included the subliminal image of Melina, the resistance member whose trust he'd gained and was programmed to want to go to Mars and put in a situation where the only way he could go was by visiting Recall, assuring he'd get the 2nd part of his programming: Blue Skies on Mars.

Blue Skies on Mars was a trigger setup beforehand by Cohaagen and Howser to trigger the 2nd phase of the programming and was also a joke between themselves since they knew what the alien machinery could do. The techs say they don't recognize the program and assume it's new. Why bother? I'm guessing it is to setup enough distance between Quaid's motivation and it's actual source to fool the psychics.

Why do people start trying so hard to kill Quaid before he even has a chance to get the idea to get his ass to Mars? Richter.

Richter always intended to kill Hauser / Quaid for cuckolding him, which is why the assassins are trying so hard to kill Quaid, contrary to Cohaagen's wishes.

Cohaagen really is surprised that the plan works out in the the end (and it does, the resistance is smashed and Quato is dead). In the end however his creation, Quaid, was made too well and ends up breaking out of the deprogramming regime and proceeds to actually fulfill the fantasy that was supposed to be a joke.

*as oppose to being all a dream after he goes to Recall. Not that it actually REALLY happened.

>.>

<.<

My wife and I have this fight about once every two months. You are both wrong. It was all just a fantasy.

Total Recall is one of the few action-movies I enjoy because the sensational pacing and extent of it actually expresses the narrative ( that he is paying for and receiving a better-than-life fantasy) rather than distracting me from it.

Even though the narrative's intent is to embed enough doubt that we continue to question if it was real or not, it wasn't. At the end of the movie, dude is going to go to get out of the machine, have an uncomfortable dinner with his wife, not be able to sleep, and still have to get up and go to work in the morning.