Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Hey, look what just got promoted from a feminist issue to a LGBT issue -

Faith leaders: Exempt religious groups from order barring LGBT bias in hiring

Fourteen prominent faith leaders — including some of President Obama’s closest advisers — want the White House to create a religious exemption from his planned executive order banning federal contractors from discriminating against gays and lesbians in hiring.

“An executive order that does not include a religious exemption will significantly and substantively hamper the work of some religious organizations that are best equipped to serve in common purpose with the federal government.,” it said. “When the capacity of religious organizations is limited, the common good suffers.”

As it turns out, when the SCROTUS makes a ruling that allows for religious exemption from laws by corporations, corporations will then ask for more religious exemptions to justify their bigotry and help maintain the bottom line.

This week is the worst week.

So tonight I learned that back in the early sixties, this guy named Eugene Weingand decided to capitalize on his slight resemblance to Peter Lorre and started calling himself "Peter Lorre Jr." and claiming to be the actor's son, which he continued to do both after the real Peter Lorre found out and even after he died. That may be the scummiest thing I've ever heard of.

I'm tired of people complaining about millennials and/or using them as the butt of their jokes.  It's becoming part of everyday conversation for the people around me.  "He's a millennial... Don't know if he'll ever find his way..."  "These millennials just don't understand how to work hard." etc.  The group-think is getting to a point where if any person under a certain age exhibits any traces of millennialism they get spoken of impersonally as part of the larger grouping.  It doubly frustrates me when I hear it coming from people who are not that much older than the millennials they're disparaging.  It's lazy snobbery.

A lot of the young people I meet seem no different than the rest of us.  I had ~15 college kids work under me at my previous job, and it seemed like an even split of those who were lazy and bad at their job and those who were great and nice and good workers.  Nothing out of the ordinary that made me wonder "what is the deal with the kids these days?!"

Does anyone else have experience with that age range?

Generalities, am I right?

I just question the assumed association if I haven't already done so twice in the last two minutes. I'll say something like "I don't think that's why they are [characteristic]" or "Seems like everyone is [characteristic] including myself". Typically, people will stop generalizing around me because it eventually becomes more work instead of less. But I'll just remain silent if I just had this conversation twice because I don't want the trolls to bait me all the time.

I think it's just the cyclical nature of each generation.  Compare what is being said about millenials to what was being said about each youth generation for the last 100 years (probably forever) and you see the exact same complaints again and again.

And it's always the same topics.  The work ethic, their values, their music, the loose morals.  The absolute best example of this for me is how old people complained and warned about the danger of Bing Crosby.  

The press had a field day disseminating the attacks on the “crooning boom” by moral authorities. In January 1932 they quoted Cardinal O’Connell of Boston: “Crooning is a degenerate form of singing…. No true American would practice this base art. I cannot turn the dial without getting these whiners and bleaters defiling the air and crying vapid words to impossible tunes.” The New York Singing Teachers Association chimed in, “Crooning corrupts the minds and ideals of the younger generation.” Lee DeForest, one of radio’s inventors, regretted that his hopes for the medium as a dispenser of “golden argosies of tome” had become “a continual drivel of sickening crooning by ‘sax’ players interlaced with blatant sales talk.” 

I'd never heard the terms "millenials" before, but isn't the gist of it the same as how it always goes? "Back in my day, we climbed uphill in a snowstorm. Both ways!"

EDIT: Damnit Bjorn how dare you beat me on saying the same thing but with better words.

RANDOM THOUGHT: Bjorn sucks!

It's okay, Gormongous usually manages to do the same thing to me, saying what I intended to say but much more eloquently. 

It's actually kind of fun to look back at these dire cultural warnings from many generations ago, and see how easily they could show up on Fox News right now, just with "crooner" swapped out for "video game" or something similar.  It makes the conservative old people even harder to take seriously.  It's also fun to break out the Bing Crosby story if you have old people in your life that complain like this.  It's almost impossible for them to reply in any rational or intelligent manner when you point out how much they sound like the people who went nuts because crooners were corrupting the morals of America's youth. 

It's okay, Gormongous usually manages to do the same thing to me, saying what I intended to say but much more eloquently. 

Okay, so the quality of posts in here goes something like this:

Gormongous > Bjorn > Twig

It needs some work, doesn't include everybody yet, but I guess its a start.

Gormongous > Bjorn > Twig>..............................................................................> Zeus the cat > Zeusthecat

Ugh, this post sucks. I will now retreat to a dark place with my only true friend.

:waluigi:

I'm going to mess up your scale

Phew, I'm better than Zeus! That's a load off my back!

Gormongous > Bjorn > Twig> ................................................ > Zeus the cat > Zeusthecat > Ucantalas

At least you sometimes have interesting things to say! Everything I say is either a dumb joke or a useless statement that adds nothing to the conversation.

JK Rowling published a short story about an aging Harry Potter. I really wish she would stop going back to that well.

(I know this is the first writing she's published about Harry Potter since Beedle the Bard, but she's made quite a few retrospective comments about the series that I really hate)

I love that this conversation happened and that I wasn't around to mess it up.

FWIW, I'd put Tegan ahead of me in the hierarchy. 

Tegan schools me all the time. She should go ahead of me, too.

Okay, so...

Tegan > Gormongous > Bjorn > Twig > ...... > Zeus the cat > Zeusthecat > Ucantalas

I have a hard time believing I'm fourth best on the forums so clearly this needs to be amended pronto.

I have a hard time believing I'm fourth best on the forums so clearly this needs to be amended pronto.

You're terrible and you should feel terrible.

:getmecoat

Why the hell do you all apparently hold me in such high regard?

You know what I contribute to this forum? Horrifying Sonic the Hedgehog sex dolls and endless Pokémon threads.

You know what I contribute to this forum? Horrifying Sonic the Hedgehog sex dolls and endless Pokémon threads.

Your manga and comics knowledge is way higher than mine, and we stand toe-to-toe in the anime thread. That's all the information I need.

You're terrible and you should feel terrible.

thank youuuuuuuuuuu 

Pfft, you say that like those are bad things.

Also apparently everyone here is very humble.

...except Twig.

I also feel like this whole ranking thing was a terrible idea that can only end in arguments and bad feelings so I'm stopping now.