Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

The spirit of something is still informed by specific events. I get the intent, I just chose an arguably poor way to express it.

Not really nerd community related, but I have an irrational hatred of sayings "living the dream" and "not gonna lie."

I kinda like saying "not gonna lie" and then telling an obvious lie. Using it in good faith is ridiculous, though.

I've never had a problem with "zero-sum" because I know what it means and can deploy corrections at will. I can't deal with "RNG" because it's basically people complaining about how they don't actually like randomness at all, because they are human beings.

It's more about the spirit of the thing than it is any one specific event. Like, "hey check out these dumb nerds doing dumb nerd things, isn't that funny", and less about having a laugh with some friends at some dumb things you do around each other.

I feel like these people haven't really been watching the show very much because it pretty quickly turned into "here's these nerds and they know some people, including one incredible jerk that they have to put up with". For all the show goes "hey look at these weird nerds and their weird things" every now and then, Penny is basically the only non-nerd who's allowed to have a positive portrayal, unless the non-nerd later reveals they have nerdy interests.

But anyway "nerd blackface" is terrible. It is one of those phrases that makes me an asshole briefly.

The spirit of something is still informed by specific events. I get the intent, I just chose an arguably poor way to express it.

All right, fair enough.

Merus: I've watched recent episodes here and there (because my dad likes the show, apparently), and I don't think it's changed much from season one (of which I watched the whole thing). It's still the same dumb shit. But whatever.

I just realized that I love straw-hats. I've been wearing them for years, most people around here seem to think they are strictly for yard-work. I love straw-hats, I especially like how every culture has one. I wear the cowboy variety.

I have a conical straw hat that is commonly associated with Asians that I picked up in Japan.  I bet I could start wearing it now that I actually have yard work to do.

I've decide to buy a new straw-hat today and I've discovered a new fedora variety in K-Mart. It's $15 though and I'm used to getting them off of discount racks (in the fall maybe?)

I have a conical straw hat that is commonly associated with Asians that I picked up in Japan. I bet I could start wearing it now that I actually have yard work to do.

On Kauai, that was common to see. I miss the seeing the elderly ladies with those hats in their yards doing things like re-tarring their drive-ways and gardening.

If this is now "words and phrases in the nerd community that we hate," I nominate "The Big Bang Theory is like blackface for nerds." Because the collective societal demeaning of an entire race is exactly like that time some shitty sitcom got the words to Green Lantern oath wrong.

Well, "Blackface" is a pretty specific term. "Minstrel Show" is more appropriate, since although it's most commonly associated with African Americans and blackface, it also popularized most common ethnic stereotypes of the era (e.g. Irish are drunk and angry, Germans are fat, drunk, and jolly, etc).

The phrase "weird and gross" is increasingly off-putting. I see it so much these days and I want it out of my life. Use your words, people!

The phrase "weird and gross" is increasingly off-putting. I see it so much these days and I want it out of my life. Use your words, people!

I'm guilty of using this too much.

I'm guilty of using this too much.

Don't let him judge you tegan. It's all Jake Rodkin's fault after all, along with barf.

I for one enjoy using weird, gross and barf since JR introduced them to my vocabulary.

I mean I probably am, too, to be honest. If not that phrase, I'm sure I have a dozen or so that someone could identify and berate me for. But geeeeez.

dibs: It's not the words themselves that bother me. It's that particular configuration.

I use the independently one another a lot, but I don't think I use them together that much.  That would just be weird...and gross.

crying on the inside and outside right now

Ah, I feel a little responsible for the death of the Gilbert Gottfried bird.  Now I'll read all your posts in the voice of a crying fish. 

Is that meant to be an eyeball or a bleeding breast in your new avatar, Twig?

Is that meant to be an eyeball or a bleeding breast in your new avatar, Twig?

Yes!

Jake says this all the time on the podcast though!

Breaking news! Twig offers up body as cannibal sacrifice for next Thanksgiving dinner!