Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I have been noticing a lot of people say "robutt" instead of "robot" lately. I thought for a bit that people were trying to add a little joke in there by saying butt, but it appears that is not so. Why are so many people pronouncing this word wrong?

I have been noticing a lot of people say "robutt" instead of "robot" lately. I thought for a bit that people were trying to add a little joke in there by saying butt, but it appears that is not so. Why are so many people pronouncing this word wrong?

Maybe influenced by the late Ryan Davis? I've been going through the whole Giant Bomb back catalog lately and noticed that he exclusively uses the term "robutt" instead of "robot".

I know that I've been mispronouncing the word robot like that (actually more like "robit", often preceded by "some kind of") since middle school, probably influenced by Homestar Runner.

It's not funny to me anymore, but I still catch myself saying it from time to time. Habits form and are hard to break.

No idea where this should go but while reading this article on Kotaku, it highlighted for me how truly unique and respectful the Idle Thumbs forum community is. I'm not sure if it's just the size of our community that has fostered such a positive environment with no tolerance for disrespectful behavior or if this community just gives off vibes that tend to attract more intelligent and level-headed people but it is pretty sweet that things are the way they are around here.

Isn't that how Zoidberg says it on Futurama?

Yes! Maybe I picked it up there.

I'm frustrated that my wife doesn't see the facial similarities between Willem Dafoe and Dr. Oz. They seriously look like they could be twins to me. And I could totally see someone having twins and naming them Mehmet and Willem.

Your wife is not the only one, Zeus: they have squarish faces but Willem Dafoe has a much longer face and a very different jaw.

Your wife is not the only one, Zeus: they have squarish faces but Willem Dafoe has a much longer face and a very different jaw.

Well I can at least take comfort in the fact that part of the internet agrees with me... according to google at least.

Well I can at least take comfort in the fact that part of the internet agrees with me... according to google at least.

From my experience with a friend who posted on Facebook in confusion between Peter Stormare, Mark Strong, and Jason Statham, you can get a large minority of the internet to back up the perceived similarities between any two actors of the same gender.

From my experience with a friend who posted on Facebook in confusion between Peter Stormare, Mark Strong, and Jason Statham, you can get a large minority of the internet to back up the perceived similarities between any two actors of the same gender.

Well thanks for crushing what little shred of dignity I had left.

One thing you can't take from me is that this guy  :violin:  and this guy  :waluigi:  still agree with me.

I had a friend in college who confused Dennis Haysbert with Denzel Washington.  Every time an Allstate commercial came on, he would adamantly insist it was Denzel Washington until I finally called him out on it and bet him $20 he was wrong.  Come to think of it, I never did get that money.

For reference, Dennis Haysbert on left, Denzel Washington on right.

Dennis_Haysbert_cropped.jpgDenzel_Washington_cropped.jpg

Rohbuht is a standard pronunciation. If you watch old movies you'll hear it decently often. It's probably a regional thing.

Well that one's at least understandable because all non-whites look the same to me.

Rohbuht is a standard pronunciation. If you watch old movies you'll hear it decently often. It's probably a regional thing.

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2012/11/robot-talk.html

This is the only link I can find and it seems to say the original pronunciation would have been roh-bot? According to their 1956 Webster at least. I will still be weirded out when people say Rowbutt.

I'm frustrated that my wife doesn't see the facial similarities between Willem Dafoe and Dr. Oz. They seriously look like they could be twins to me. And I could totally see someone having twins and naming them Mehmet and Willem.

attachicon.gifwillemmehmet.jpg

You must recognize people solely by the shape of their ears.

Ya, apart from them looking nothing alike, they look nothing alike.

Ya, apart from them looking nothing alike, they look nothing alike.

You don't understand. Denzel Washington is all black people, and all black people are Denzel Washington.

Someone should make a free-to-play shooter wherein your framerate is locked into one of 5 groups based on which (constantly updated) quintile you fall into for money spent on in-game items.

Dogshit - 12 fps / Horseshit - 24 fps / Bullshit - 36 fps / The Shit - 48 fps / Hot Shit - 60 fps

Sounds pretty compelling to me.

So lately I've been going through all the old Idle Thumbs episodes, starting with Episode 1.

Today I hit the very first episode I had ever listened to: Episode 75. Discussions included XCOM, the discussion of which was the sole deciding factor on whether or not I should consider getting Enemy Unknown (even though it wasn't out at the time I got it later thinking back on the episode), as I was currently playing XCOM Enemy Unknown.

It was just weird.

The person of whom I think as my most boring "friend" on Facebook (because all she does is talk about houseplants, sewing, and SCA politics) just posted a picture of two pieces of white cloth stitched together, with the caption "Yes!!" It has sixty-six likes and nineteen comments. I don't understand.

That's because they're all the same person.

Tycho set that up, someone had to pay it off in the third act.

I haven't played a proper golf video game since Jack Nicklaus Golf for the Super Nintendo back in 1993 but lately I have had a strong desire to pick up a super realistic next gen golf game even though one doesn't exist yet (at least not that I'm aware of). I don't even really care for golf.

Oh god, I said golf too many times and it just started sounding really weird. I feel like "Golf" would be a really good name for some kind of fictional giant mutant monster.