Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I'm having to do some maths to work out sizes for things that have to have certain aspect ratios and I hate realizing how much maths I've forgotten.

post-8532-0-80505200-1391061330_thumb.jpg

Oh, also think about this. Twenty years ago was 1994. Go tell a your age person then that the fucking internet will be the greatest invention of mankind, that Snowcrash's virtual world will happen and be one a million virtual worlds, that the 3D glasses from it will be showing up on late night talk shows. That self driving electric cars will be what everyone will talk about and expect to buy in a decade or less, and that China will be the second biggest economy in the world.

And then tell them that we still never got flying cars and we're still using microwaves for our food. Man the future sure turned out different than I expected.

I'm having to do some maths to work out sizes for things that have to have certain aspect ratios and I hate realizing how much maths I've forgotten.

attachicon.gifcuddlefish.jpg

This isn't maths, this is zooology!

Also, that bitcoin faq was fascinating!

@Frentic Pony

I love cyberpunk stuff. Regarding virtual reality versus deep reality: I'm fascinated by how our rationalizations and interpretations of reality will take form as persistent digital hallucinations that layer themselves on everything, and how different these will be. So for instance, a Libertarian will have bought the mind-apps that allow them to see the real truth and they will see buildings colored by how much tax-money that company recieves in subsidies. Or if you buy the Hot-Topic mind-app, everything will have AR spikes on it and you'll see heat-signatures of where Fall Out Boy sat on a bench. The different worlds we have due to different priorities will be far more convincing.

In regards to death: My fear is that the galue of life will increase to an absurd level so that death is illegal. I can imagine a future where someone would have to go to Tom Cruise Minority Report lengths just to pull their own plug if they want it to end. This kinda mixes with the matrix part; maybe the singularity is when science creates the perfect bridge between digital circuits and brains? Then prisoners will get shorter sentences for mining bit-coin in their sleep. But that's just how it starts. Eventually brains would be farmed for capital.

What else. I just heard about what Her is about. I'm looking forward to seeing that. It's a completely acceptable feeling in gamer-culture for someone to prefer playing against AI opponents rather than real people. I could see this bleeding into deep reality. Sometimes. I prefer the robot to the cashier at the grocery store. I like coffee shops where I can get my own refills rather than depending on a waiter. I can imagine a my facebook or twitter feed slowly filling with bots that look at my posts, talk about things ai find interesting, then use my response in order to determine which responses are more sucessful and mutate accordingly. Eventually, I don't even read my human friend's posts about how they dropped their toast that morning, I tend to pay more attention to Sasha Juniper (a 266th generation name given to a bot based on how long it took me to determine if I knew the previous versions sending me friend requests). She is also excited about how art-games and romantic comedy Korean dramas from the 2020's intersect. We discuss nuance in detail.

It's a completely acceptable feeling in gamer-culture for someone to prefer playing against AI opponents rather than real people.

Pff I don't wanna play with those loser noobs anyway.

fucking christ you know how i was saying earlier i'd like being able to live forever well fuck that i want to stop living right now unless someone can promise me all spiders die tonight

Yeah man, I'm right there with you. Instead of killing off whales and other endangered species, humanity needs to band together to fucking destroy every spider on the planet. If these eight-legged demons are taking out birds and snakes then they've made it way too far up the food chain and are clearly going to be targeting us next.

i mean i've gotten to the point in my life where i can finally let a small spider go without freaking out, as long as it doesn't come near me

but if i saw anything like those pictures in real life i would be physically recoiling for the rest of the week, if not longer

if a spider touches me i scream i fucking hate spiders guys for real

Shit, that was probably the best Buzzfeed I've ever seen. Horrifying.

However, I did notice in the comments, someone said Australia hasn't had a spider related death since 1979. I guess the antivenom is readily at hand. I think a lot of them aren't exactly lethal, but they bite like mother fuckers.

But does the anti-venom cure PTSD?

Here's a little anecdote to illustrate the damage spiders have done to my brain:

When I was a teenager, my dad lived in a run-down cabin on Mt. Lemmon (one of the mountains adjacent to Tucson, Arizona). My sister and I would stay with him every other weekend since he had partial custody and... **I think dredging up these memories is going to make me vomit**... there came a time each evening where we would need to sleep. We didn't have the luxury of beds or anything like that; instead we got the privilege of (not) sleeping on the floor. Once all the lights were off and we started trying to go to sleep, the fucking daddy long legs would come out to say hello. Even though they had an entire fucking mountain to prowl around, they decided that MY FUCKING FACE was the best place to hang out. The first time I woke up to a daddy long leg on my face was pretty fucking traumatic. By the tenth time it didn't even wake me up because sleep was a thing of the past. They took those nights from me. Nights that I'll never get back. All I could do each night was lay there, swatting my face every time I thought I felt the slightest touch.

So now whenever I feel any slight touch my first thought is "spider". Fuck spiders, I hate them.

My favorite meme ever.   More here

post-33601-0-74844400-1391117723.jpg

I like spiders, they eat bugs and mostly keep to themselves.  The little albino ones that always live in a car's vents are cute.   I have a general treaty with spiders.  They aren't allowed in my bed, near my toilet or in my shower.  Anywhere else, that's cool. 

you are part of the problem and when the spider regime finally gets what it deserves, you will go with it

Spiders have been protecting us for millennia from hyper intelligent Goldblum Flies.  You'll miss them when your leg is being digested while it's still attached to your body. 

Spiders have been protecting us for millennia from hyper intelligent Goldblum Flies.  You'll miss them when your leg is being digested while it's still attached to your body. 

That's only what they want you to think. Spiders are very Machiavellian and will tell you exactly what you want to hear to gain your trust. Meanwhile, they are secretly learning how to kill birds and snakes and will soon be big enough to eat/ride horses. HORSES GODDAMMIT!!

I love Ireland. We have nothing poisonous or terrifying here \o/

Remember:

If it bites you and you die, it's venomous.

If you bite it and you die, it's poisonous.

Know the difference!

Remember:

If it bites you and you die, it's venomous.

If you bite it and you die, it's poisonous.

Know the difference!

And pass it on!

*smirks at camera, awkwardly walks away*

I started trying to draw a spider riding a horse but I'm too terrified to bring that nightmare to life. And thank god there is not a single image of a spider riding a horse when you type it into Google so I guess we're safe for now.

Also, I'm pretty sure they are also close to evolving gills so they can survive when you flush them down the toilet and climb back out to haunt you forever. Soon fire will be the only thing that can stop them.

I am so disappointed at the results of googling "fire proof spider". 

Thankfully researchers are working on creating bulletproof human-spider-goats.  Now you're thinking with science.