Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

You'd have to then go on to be in the next Indiana Jones and Batman films to truly be the next Porkins.

I found Canybox boring as fuck, because I immediately recognized nothing was really there except to be there on its lonesome.

On a completely different topic, assuming your avatar is a picture of you, are you JJ Abrams brother, or cousin or something? Because if you aren't you could totally pass off as it and should sneak onto the set of Episove VII when they're filming by claiming you are so.

As the Thumbs mentioned, the discovery is a lot of the fun, but I also just found the way it toyed with my lizard brain really fascinating. Like, I wanted to see numbers go up, and then I wanted to see those other numbers go up, and then there was this feedback loop of lollipops, and suddenly what seemed like really high numbers were really low numbers. It's very weird and made me question why I play a lot of the upgrade based Flash games I play online. I often think about Godard's "In order to criticize a movie, you have to make another movie." quote, and I think the same would apply here.

And I've never heard JJ Abrams. Apparently me + mascara (why my eyes pop so much in that picture) = creator of Lost. I can dig that.

I found myself humming a song while I got dressed this morning, then realized all of a sudden it was "Waltz for the Moon" from Final Fantasy VIII:

I can say for a fact that I haven't thought of that song (or even the game it's in) for six years. I wonder how/why my brain dredged it up. Just some maintenance work, I guess?

Sometimes I hear people complain about the direction of the Star Wars films and I think "being an adult is hard".

Maybe, but then you can just go run to a corner store and buy a bunch of candy and eat it, because adults.

And people will look weird at you, because adults.

I bought and ate an entire bag of those little Cadbury eggs under this very pretense a few months back, and immediately wished I hadn't.

What are you guys on about? Who judges you for eating tons of candy? My housemates gave out to me for eating bananas one day (they are only for people who are working out apparently) so I sang them a song about how they might need to reassess their relationship with food and they looked bashful and accept sweets from me now.

I sometimes wonder how my title changes the tone of my posts since I mostly forget about it and I have a pretty dry voice here usually.  It's just too strong to change though.

Whenever I hear someone refer to the far east as "The Orient" I immediately think of Oriental flavored ramen soup. This is a correlation I will never be able to break because the taste and smell of Oriental ramen is very nostalgic.

PROTIP:  every time someone refers to Asia as "the Orient" you should immediately think of them as racists.  That'll distract you from the ramen.

I jump straight past that and instead find myself wondering why oriental ramen isn't considered one of the most racist foods on the market.

Maybe, but then you can just go run to a corner store and buy a bunch of candy and eat it, because adults.

When I bought my Wii U, there was an 8 year old kid walking past with his dad, pretty much seething with jealousy. My only thought was "Haha. I'm 25 and can buy things. Sucker."

Really? I have never, ever heard anything about this, nor even encountered it in any of the thousands of (American) films and books I saw and read.

Holy shit, is saying «the Orient» racist?

edit: Ah, apparently that's a North-American thing.

Yeah, I just discovered this in the last week and decided to have a little fun with it. Sorry if it offended anyone. I find it quite silly that this word was euphemized to begin with and now we are only allowed to use the term "Asian", which will most likely be deemed offensive in the next 20 years and have to be changed again. Where I live "Hispanic" is the euphemism that is replacing "Mexican" because apparently some people have determined that it is offensive to call someone Mexican.

But I still stand by my claim that Oriental Ramen should be considered racist by people who are super sensitive to this shit. Isn't the implication that Oriental Ramen has the general taste of Asia despite the fact that Asian countries all have varying cuisines?

Oh you silly Occidentals.

Some number of years in the future I will be offended by what you called me but society hasn't told me I should be offended yet so we're cool for now.

The word "Orient" is so broad as to be meaningless. It includes people from cultures in the Middle-East, to the South-Pacific, to Japan, etc. Those cultures and people have practically nothing in common; they don't share a similar language, religion, culture, or ethnicity. Orient is often understood as Eurocentric, if not racist, because it treats everyone who lives east of Europe as the same. Further, one of the most influential books in post-colonial studies is called "Orientalism," and so many people (in the Americas at least) will have studied the idea of "the Orient" as an example of colonialism. 

I don't think the word is racist or inappropriate necessarily, it's just not very meaningful and hearkens back to a more racist era. 

Where I live "Oriental" is fine if used to refer to an object, but offensive if used to describe a person. As a result "Oriental ramen" is ok, but "That oriental dude over there" is not. Again, probably due to the large co-association of British and Canadian history and the tradition of colonialism that this implies, whatever can be done to separate ourselves from that shit is for the best.