Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I find that speaking my thoughts out greatly elucidates them. Whenever I have to dream up new ideas, stories or social interactions, I'll talk out loud to myself while going for a walk. I'm sure it looks insane from the outside, but it's an invaluable way to organise my mind. To the point where I automatically start talking when I need to think. Deliberately shutting up seems to halt the thinking instantly, sometimes. That scares me now and again, like, if I restrict my thoughts to the tempo in which I speak, aren't I hamstringing myself? Thoughts are so much faster than words, so it could become a bottleneck.

But then I'm never shy of ideas, so I think I'm super OK.

I think that language might get tied to our thoughts at least a little; it's not uncommon for someone to have some difficulty understanding a concept that their language has no word for.

Sure, but I'd guess that's more their language wouldn't have a word for it because their culture doesn't experience or focus on it, so it's more because they grew up in that culture than because they spoke that language.

I've found especially since I started multitasking aurally (listening to a podcast and music while playing games) my thoughts have retreated from language, since it really does take an additional step of focus to add words to it.

Don't agree. I prefer my bananas at room temperature. Apples otoh are better served cold.

We'll have to agree to disagree until someone who is an authority on bananas steps in and settles this. I do agree with you about apples though.

Also, I'm one of those assholes who eats kiwi with the skin on. And every time I finish one I feel like my mouth has been raped.

Banana fun facttm: up until the 1950s the main banana type was the Gros Michel. That strain of banana proved susceptical to fungus and was nearly wiped out. It still survives, but is no longer found in most parts of the world. The bananas we eat today are the familiar Cavendish type, which has a completely different flavor. Isn't a strange that there's this whole article of fruit that we'll never taste, lost to us?

I stand corrected, this was a Banana sad facttm.

I am a self-proclaimed authority on bananas and I can confirm that they are a bit better when coldish, but not too cold.

I had a friend who froze his bananas and ate them like popsicles. It was abhorrent.

At the store I've seen those frozen, chocolate covered bananas. And I bet you can guess where my childish mind goes next...

I am a self-proclaimed authority on bananas and I can confirm that they are a bit better when coldish, but not too cold.

But are you aware of the secret correct way to eat a banana?

You hold it by the stem and pinch the little black part on the end. It easily splits right open and you get a little handle to hold it with.

Chocolate on bananas? That's bananas!

The only thing you can add to bananas is herring.

Chocolate on bananas? That's bananas!

The only thing you can add to bananas is herring.

I see what you did there.

Banana fun facttm: up until the 1950s the main banana type was the Gros Michel. That strain of banana proved susceptical to fungus and was nearly wiped out. It still survives, but is no longer found in most parts of the world. The bananas we eat today are the familiar Cavendish type, which has a completely different flavor. Isn't a strange that there's this whole article of fruit that we'll never taste, lost to us?

I stand corrected, this was a Banana sad facttm.

My local fancy foods store often stocks rarer variety of apples and pears. I hope someday I see some odd bananas in there! Also, their fruit is always perfectly ripe. I don't know how they do it.

Any time I've had it it has tasted like sweet nothings, but not in a good way. Mayhaps by the time it reaches Ireland it isn't at its prime:/

I've only ever had it in China.  I've seen it for sale in various places in the US but I'd never buy it here.  It isn't super sweet and doesn't even have that strong of a taste, but that's kind of what I like about it.  I'm into things with subtle flavor.  Also it looks crazy, almost like a cheezy future sci-fi fruit except it's real.

Oh ya, the look is everything with them. The ones I've had weren't event that sweet, but a mild sweetness was about the only thing I got out of it:( now, kumquats are where it's at of you want explosions.

Agghhh! I have a zit on the inside of my nose and it fucking hurts like hell but despite this I can't stop pressing on the outside of my nostril.

But are you aware of the secret correct way to eat a banana?

You hold it by the stem and pinch the little black part on the end. It easily splits right open and you get a little handle to hold it with.

It's funny, because I learned the correct way to eat a banana through observations of chimpanzee behaviour.

So I held the door open for someone today but I didn't properly judge the distance they were from the door. This made them feel obligated to do a light jog to the door so that I wouldn't have to sit there holding it. I thought I was being polite at first but now I feel like kind of an asshole.

And I swear if Louis CK or Demetri Martin have already made a similar observation fuck those guys, this is my thought, not theirs!

Here's a fun game to play: every time you make what you think is an interesting or unique observation, put it into Google and become horribly depressed at how unoriginal you are. If you don't find anything, you win at life (and I obviously lose at this game).

No kidding. A while ago I saw a double rainbow, all the way. It didn't know what it meant, so I googled it...