Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

When I lived in Greece, I missed America enough that I'd get the newspaper just to see what movies were out. Most of them were straight translations of the English titles, except for one: Σε Βλεπω, "I See You." I finally figured out it was SawSaw is a pun, guys! I never knew. I was mislead by, you know, the saw on the cover.

Also, I saw Borat in Greece and no one laughed at the gypsy jokes because they were true there. It was only manslaughter to kill a gypsy until a few decades ago.

Life would be so much easier if everybody (at the company I work for) is as good as me in software development...

Is that arrogant?

I just had an evil thought on how to commit more deletions of code than insertions (which is a generally a good thing -- thinking of lines of code as spent, not produced): ask other team members to write lots of comments and then every time you commit something, delete as many lines of their comments as you had to write new lines of code.

Life would be so much easier if everybody (at the company I work for) is as good as me in software development...

Is that arrogant?

I used to have similar thoughts. The solution was to find a better company to work for. I kept changing jobs whenever I found I wasn't learning much from others.

Why does my cat insist on walking around with his asshole on full display? Can't he cover that shit with his tail? When people come over I can't help but wonder if they also can't help but stare at my cat's asshole when he walks by.

It's really begun to bother me that most of the emails I send to my friends get flagged as spam, because they're typically a link and a couple sentences explaining what it is. The only way to get around it is fill the email with a paragraph of small talk, which is also a spam technique. I also fail CAPTCHAs a fair amount. Am I actually just a spambot?

I used to have similar thoughts. The solution was to find a better company to work for. I kept changing jobs whenever I found I wasn't learning much from others.

I don't know. In my 20+ years of programming experience I've been mostly driven by my own interest to seek out new knowledge and new civilizations, to boldly go where no elmuerte has gone before. I don't have to learn from colleagues, I don't want to be challenged by colleagues per se. I simply don't want to be bugged to solve other people's issues every time.

I don't know. In my 20+ years of programming experience I've been mostly driven by my own interest to seek out new knowledge and new civilizations, to boldly go where no elmuerte has gone before. I don't have to learn from colleagues, I don't want to be challenged by colleagues per se. I simply don't want to be bugged to solve other people's issues every time.

Well, then you could teach your colleagues to be better, maybe? Does your company have some kind of seminars where developers give talks/share knowledge? If not, make it happen.

"Make it happen" would come down to me doing it :/

It's sort of my thing to lay down some architectural and development guidelines. It's not that I've had the opportunity to work out this stuff. I've just severely disappointed by the disinterest of most of colleagues in learning how to develop software.

I took vacation for the next week, so maybe I can finally work out a PPT to bug people with during the next dev meeting. Then again, I might be playing video games.

I've decided to go to grad school, which means that I will be leaving my relatively financially secure position to move across the country and embark on something that I'm not even one hundred percent sure will pay off in the end!

When I lived in Greece, I missed America enough that I'd get the newspaper just to see what movies were out. Most of them were straight translations of the English titles, except for one: Σε Βλεπω, "I See You." I finally figured out it was SawSaw is a pun, guys! I never knew. I was mislead by, you know, the saw on the cover.

Also, I saw Borat in Greece and no one laughed at the gypsy jokes because they were true there. It was only manslaughter to kill a gypsy until a few decades ago.

Where? I lived in Athens a couple years ago and will be near Thessaloniki this summer. We also started missing America so we went to the TGI Fridays across from our apartment and then saw The Adjustment Bureau one night. I can't remember the name in Greek but it came out to something like The Agency. Also watching them try to come up with Greek subtitles for the various ways Americans answer phones was surprisingly funny. 

I just had an evil thought on how to commit more deletions of code than insertions (which is a generally a good thing -- thinking of lines of code as spent, not produced): ask other team members to write lots of comments and then every time you commit something, delete as many lines of their comments as you had to write new lines of code.

God, every time I have to merge in a change and I see a conflict and it's WHITE SPACE ON THEIR END i bleed through my eyeballs

BeyondCompare is my favorite code comparison tool and handles that shit so well. Visual Studio's comparison tool sucks (maybe it's better in 2012) and KDiff fucked up some merged changesets so we stopped using that one.

I've decided to go to grad school, which means that I will be leaving my relatively financially secure position to move across the country and embark on something that I'm not even one hundred percent sure will pay off in the end!

Yeah you shouldn't do it... Oops to late

What is grad school anyway? Is that wher rich kids go to avoid the real world for a couple more years. Fuck education. You need to get on dat ladder. It's all about experience and who you know. You can study until 2012 but it wont mean dick.

One day you will look back on these words! (I'm actually laughing hysterical at myself on that last statement, I should go o bed. Jura is a good Whiskey)

Edit. Apologies for the crazy drunken rant. I love that I thought 2012 was some far flung future

Tomorrow is both Free Comic Book Day and Star Wars Day. I'm going to go down to the comic book shop and count the Portal t-shirts.

I need to eventually write something about the elements of the Irish language that have been absorbed into Hiberno-English and are used by people who know no actual Irish (the diminutive suffix -ín [een] is super-common in some dialects, for example).

Every day that I age my balls get that much closer to the toilet water.

Zeusthecat, if you want a thread called "Zeusthecat talks about his genitals and sometimes cats' arseholes" then you're allowed to make one...

You little jackeen.

I know how it sounded, but I'm actually not from Dublin.

Zeusthecat, if you want a thread called "Zeusthecat talks about his genitals and sometimes cats' arseholes" then you're allowed to make one...

Haha, that's not a bad idea. Don't worry, I think I got it all out of my system now.

We can put Kerbals on the moon, but apparently we cannot make an ant-proof bedroom.

I know this is far from an original question but why in a universe of non-living stuff did life emerge? I mean, there was a big bang or whatever and stars formed and shit started bouncing around and doing what it does and we have gotten pretty good at being able to define these laws that the universe seems to operate under. I imagine we will eventually have all of those physical laws figured out but then there's fucking life. The laws of physics might say what will happen when two giant rocks are headed on a collision course with each other but what it doesn't have an allowance for is if a life form makes a decision to blow one of those rocks to smithereens. A drop of ink in a glass of water may never re-converge into a perfect drop but someone may be able manipulate that glass of water to make that happen. 

So did life happen so the universe could get around all of its physical limitations? We tend to view destruction and chaos as negative and we desire to bring order to things. Are we here to prevent the destruction caused by stars exploding and cultivate the universe until everything is calm and peaceful? Why do I like dick and fart jokes so much?