So I've started seeing this pop up around the webs, what exactly is it?  As far as I can tell it's a Game Dev Story clone, but I don't actually know if it is.  Is that basically the gist of it?  Is it significantly different/superior in any way?

While it's tempting to say 'it's that game that made a big deal about piracy while totally plagiarising another game', this was a pretty good read and makes it sound like the actual game development aspect of the game is much better and more grounded in reality compared to Game Dev Story:

http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2013/05/game-dev-tycoon-play-and-piracy.html

That said, both fail to particularly appeal to me. I imagine they sound a lot more fun than they actually are, with the type of stuff I enjoy most in simulation games (building) minimised, and most of the time spent in menus manipulating a vast web of variables.

is that actually an insight though or hyperbole? did piracy ever actually directly and immediatly have impact like that? seems like they should be trying to balance it between those extremes.

I just don't see it. also the whole marketing situation surrounding this game, with them putting up a "demo" version of the game that claims to be a a cracked version and including tracking software to catch kids who pirate stuff out and generate some automatic headlines-- I just find the whole thing distasteful. the version they put up on piratebay isn't actually a real full version of the game, so no one who bought it actually pirated it, regardless of their intention to do so. it's probably hilarious justice for internet people, but maybe the developers should have spent that time and energy trying to get a proper audience for the game.

edit: I just noticed ars have a thing about this up http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/piracy-or-baiting-the-thorny-legal-question-of-game-dev-storys-honeypot/

they're forgetting though that the game the developers uploaded to the torrent site wasn't even actually the proper or a full version of the game. edit: what I mean by this is the version they're claiming piracy for isn't the version of the game they themselves are selling. there is no other way to obtain that version of the game than to download it from the torrent site, and it is significantly different from the version they are selling.

While it's tempting to say 'it's that game that made a big deal about piracy while totally plagiarising another game'

I don't really see this either, the plagiarising part. unless someone is directly using assets from another game it's really hard for me to say things like that, regardless of how close to each other two games might be. a ton of people have been using that against it. I saw a lot of pretty harsh messages directly to the developer on their twitter from random people, and that really puzzled me. I just don't get it. they're doing the same 'game', but they've also obviously made the game themselves, they're not actually using code or art from the other game, and they've added their own ideas from what I can tell.. so. didn't we stop categorising this kind of 'idea' evolution in games as plagiarism a long time ago? remember breakout clones, tetris clones, mario clones, doom clones? or the twenty to thirty years since then with the most popular game mechanics being "shared" among every single popular big publisher game.

hm. don't know why I felt like writing this post to be honest, I am less than a little energized or interested by this game and its internet story. and yet  :blink:

Normally I wouldn't care about idea evolution, I just found it funny how it was coming from a company trumpeting so hard about piracy, ripping off developers' efforts, etc. As the article I posted says it seems this is actually a very different game from Game Dev Story beyond the basics.

As far as I've looked into the topic, the only difference I'm familiar with between the two is that Game Dev Story is IOS and Android exclusive while Game Dev Tycoon is PC, Mac, and Linux.  I've heard great things about Game Dev Story but I'm not that big into mobile gaming.  I purchased a copy of Game Dev Tycoon after hearing the "proposed" percentage of piracy and I've been enjoying the game.  However, I can understand the controversy over the whole situation.