Rxanadu

Any (traditional) parades in games

I was listening to particularly cheerful music, when I thought of an image of a parade going through the streets.  I've never been to a parade live, so the thought of going to one come to mind on occasion.  

Other than another addition to my bucket list, I was also thinking of how cool it would be to interact with a parade in a game somehow.  From my recollection, I can't think of a game that allows you to do that.  

I can certainly think of games with parade balloons in them (e.g. SSBM, MvC3), but I can't remember the last time I saw a parade going through virtual streets in a game.  Imagine how cool it would be to be driving through Liberty City only to be halted by a Macy's parade equivalent.  It's not part of a mission or anything; you can go and steal one of the floats and take it to one of your houses, or just watch it pass and wonder if it'll occur again.

If anyone can think of a game with a parade in it, I'd love to check it out.

Syndicate (the original Bullfrog joint) has a parade. It's a great mission, but I don't think it'll scratch the particular itch you have in mind.

It does sound like an excellent thing to include in a game that lets you explore a city like GTA.

Didn't Postal have a parade, or at least a marching band that you could massacre and piss all over?

Given the amount of games people have listed so far, I'll have to put a parade in one of my own games.  Either that, or hope and pray Rockstar is reading this forum post and put a parade in GTA V.

I doubt the probability of the latter scenario is very high, so I'll try to get parades into my game.  That'll be a ways off, though.

What about Major Minor's Majestic March? (I think that's what it's called. It's the rhythm game for the Wii by the Parappa guys)

There's also a parade in Bioshock Infinite!

The biggest issue with parades in games is that traditionally people don't interact with parades, so it's hard to know what that kind of interaction should look like. If it doesn't move, it's not really a parade, so you can't really stop the parade.

Final Fantasy VII has you infiltrate and march in a military parade disguised as one of the enemy soldiers: 

Didn't Hitman: Blood Money have one of its hits take place in a street parade during Mardi Gras?

Yeah, was just going to mention the Hitman: Blood Money Mardi Gras mission. A great example of a parade being incorporated into game mechanics. The crowd gives you cover but also obscures your targets and the mark you're assigned to protect is on a float and set to be assassinated. One of Blood Money's more memorable missions.

Isn't there a Dia De Muertos parade or something blocking a street at the beginning of Grim Fandango?

Ill just take some more bread to honour the dead.

Man, that clown. Just one of countless endlessly memorable characters in that game.

I feel like that's a flight of fancy if that was something that actually occurred on the cast. I can only wish it was real!

Didn't one episode of the cast a long time ago mention a hidden gay pride parade in SimCopter or am I imagining things?

I definitely actually have a pre-recall copy of Sim Copter that has this hidden nugget of absurdity.

It's super weird.

Didn't one episode of the cast a long time ago mention a hidden gay pride parade in SimCopter or am I imagining things?

It's in a really early episode. I happened to be listening to it just yesterday. I want to say it was episode six or so? It came up in a discussion about the Halo Wars team being dissolved. The Yes Men had distributed fake copies of the New York Times the week before they recorded the cast, if that narrows it down any.

It's in a really early episode. I happened to be listening to it just yesterday. I want to say it was episode six or so? It came up in a discussion about the Halo Wars team being dissolved. The Yes Men had distributed fake copies of the New York Times the week before they recorded the cast, if that narrows it down any.

Found it: 

I want to say there is a parade in XIII (that Ubisoft FPS from ten years ago) where you had to assassinate a target during a major parade, but I could be misremembering. I blocked most of that game out of my memory besides the bad parts.