ChattyWhacker

Poker Night 2

Just spent last weekend delving into the game and I have two over arching feelings for it.

1.  Hilarious dialogue, humorous cross referencing, and new mechanics which enhance it from it's predecessor.

2.  I swear to god, I will punch every character in the face if they don't stop telling me how bad I'm playing!

Seriously, other than good core game mechanics, I have been filled with a lot of anger and irritation over the game.  I looked to see if I could turn down the opponent chatter to low but it seems the option has been ommited for the sequel.  However, I did look for the option midgame so it might be available in the main menu options area.

So, how does everyone else feel about it?  You like/dislike or interested/disinterested in the game?

I don't mind the players talking shit to me, but GladOS is really getting on my nerves.I can't humble her by taking her out of the tournament. She'll always be there, judging.

Really, my only complaint with the game is the same as the last one, it feels to easy. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a difficulty slider this time around.

I'm enjoying it.

I still wish they had a skip dialog button.  Sometimes they freeze you out acting, and you're just listening to a long dialogue piece for the 5th time.  Also the UI takes a while to load, which is especially annoying 'cause you have to navigate to a few different screens just to get to the exit.

I like that they tried to fix truncated dialog by including segues, but I feel like it'd be better off if they were just silently implied rather than vocalizing "so anyway...".

Although I think the format for TF2 rewards is a bit better being predictable, there was a certain rush I felt trying to knock out a specific player in the first Poker Night.  It definitely burned me out on the game, but it felt like it was giving stakes to single player poker.  Now I'm just mashing all-ins to get a substantial lead early.

My favourite thing is the way claptrap handles chips.  Every motion feels happy.

I don't get or like the "Omaha" rules, I have to make a bet with only 2 cards? That's ludicrous! I think I'll just wait for a compilation of all the dialogue in the game. :|

Also, it's ridiculous that you can just fold until one person is left.

To my knowledge, I've never been frozen out of acting. The screen up top might not be focusing on the hand, but I've always been able to look at the bottom display and pick actions (unless its between hands I guess.)

In theory if you were to keep folding, you'd eventually run out of money due to the blinds, but the players in the game are awful agressive (probably to make the game quicker) so it could be a strategy. The issue is that you'd be down something like 15k to 85k or so, which is a tough position to win a heads up poker match.

Omaha Rules (from wikipedia)

The basic differences between Omaha and Texas hold 'em are these: first, each player is dealt four hole cards instead of two. The betting rounds and layout of community cards are identical. At showdown, each player's hand is the best five-card hand made from exactly three of the five cards on the board, plus exactly two of the player's own cards. Unlike Texas hold 'em, a player cannot play four or five of the cards on the board with fewer than two of his own, nor can a player use three or four hole cards to disguise a strong hand.

People that complain about Omaha shouldn't play Omaha.  It's fun, and the rules are fairly simple.  Also that Wikipedia explanation needs some editing.

The basic differences between Omaha and Texas hold 'em are these: first, each player is dealt four hole cards instead of two.  At showdown, each player's hand is the best five-card hand made from exactly three of the five cards on the board, plus exactly two of the player's own cards.

You don't need a similarity in the middle of a list of differences.

I haven't really given Omaha a chance.  I'm mostly just interested in trying to somehow master texas hold'em.  Truth be told, I'm not that great at it.  My basic rules I follow is high pair cards against over 3 opponents, check flop if already paid blind and no one esle has raised, and use best judgement with either flush or straight capable cards.  Does anybody else have any good techniques?  I swear that Ash and Claptrap are always bluffing.

If a few people have checked in a round, it's usually worth it to bet. Lots of times you'll scare everyone out of the round and just get the pot. Also, it seems like the AI is more willing to bluff if there have been a lot of people checking.

I would love the game most likely, if it would actually work.

It's so interesting that Poker Night 2 is the only game of hundreds of games installed on my computer in the past few years that crashes at the loading screen.

Tried to fix it with the help of Telltale's support on the official forums, but seems nothing helps. I have tried re-installing it on Steam, clean boot, installing it on a different hard drive location, checked that all drivers are updated etc.

Must be some bug in the coding then which is a shame...

I wonder why Bruce Campbell isn't in the game and instead we have some voice actor in his place?

I would love the game most likely, if it would actually work.

It's so interesting that Poker Night 2 is the only game of hundreds of games installed on my computer in the past few years that crashes at the loading screen.

Tried to fix it with the help of Telltale's support on the official forums, but seems nothing helps. I have tried re-installing it on Steam, clean boot, installing it on a different hard drive location, checked that all drivers are updated etc.

Must be some bug in the coding then which is a shame...

I wonder why Bruce Campbell isn't in the game and instead we have some voice actor in his place?

I've been experiencing a few crashes here and there with my copy as well.  However, it only seems to crash after a dialogue between characters and moving onto a new hand.  Still, it seems to autosave so I don't really lose any kind of progress.

In terms of the lack of Bruce Campbell, it might be a matter of either Bruce wasn't available or Taletell might have decided his current voice has changed since Army of Darkness.  Honestly, it's only me speculating but there's probably a decent reason why Bruce couldn't tag along....I kind of feel like a jerk for referring to him by first name.

DjNDB at the Telltale forums is awesome. With his/her help I got the game finally working today.

It was some really really strange Vista compatibility with Steam that was on even though it was not supposed to be on as I've never needed compatibility mode with any game. Also it was grayed out so I had to go deeper to change the setting.

I will never get tired of listening to Jake school people on the poker science in these games.

In the thread for the original Poker Night, he describes how burned cards that are never face-up have the faces rendered on them, even though you never see them.

I can't speak for how WELL the AI plays, but I know that it plays honestly.

Also I'm beyond proud of finding a reply to the full house dunk question in that tweet.

I started playing this series during the current steam-sale and really enjoy it. Is there another thread where people provide their wishlist of characters to play with? It seems like the obvious question.

I want to play with Dragon Age and Mass Effect characters so bad. I don't know though, everyone but Morrigan is so dry and humorless. Still, I'd love to play with Leliana and Alistair, mostly so I can listen to Morrigan and Alistair bicker.

i think I actually prefer the first game. Something about the collection of characters in #2 just puts me off.

Both are mixed-bags for me. I like StrongBad, the Heavy, and Brock. Everyone else is annoying and unfunny to me. Well... Sam is not funny, but I don't find him annoying. In fact, he's kinda pleasant to be around and it's not dependent on his humor-value. It would be cool if this was made in such a way where you could populate the table with DLC characters of your own choosing, but I can't imagine how that would work considering that their banter is relationship-specific. If you could buy characters individually, they would all just talk about themselves instead of having opinions about each other.