Loved that Monkey Rag short, it popped up somewhere a few days ago and it was lovely.

Speaking of lovely things, the lovely animation duo Lindsay and Alex Small-Butera are doing a kickstarter for Baman and Piderman and are at 200% funding.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523165009/baman-piderman-make-da-show

Baman and Piderman starts of a bit 'whacky cheese monkey' sorta humour, but it grows really quickly and the characters and relationships sneak up behind you on their loveliness. The episodes are really short, but they quickly become so good that you end up chain watching them all so that Baman and Piderman take over your soul.

Fun fact: I failed one of my uni projects because I rushed the report at 3AM after spending weeks on the actual content, so since I have to resubmit I'm going to make a motion capture rig of Baman in a simulated traditional style, and I'm probably going to do Archer too.

So let that be a lesson to you all. Make sure you double check your essay or you'll end up having to make a motion capture rig of a Baman and Piderman character.

Baman and Piderman is pretty good. I haven't watched it in a long time, but I really enjoyed it when I did.

Oh man, Baman Piderman is still around? I loved the shit out of those in college.

Well their latest stretch goal is a baman piderman music video with help from Neil Cicierega*

*Creator of Brody Quest,

, brother of Emmy Cicierega who is really good at art things and comics and is irl friends with Nedroid who is also really good at art things and comics and Beartato and Reginald.

He is also Lemon Demon, a "band" (i dont know what else to call it... he makes the songs and does the recorded versions himself but there were other people who played with him when there were live shows), probably most well known on the internet for

. (I used to spend a lot of time on the Lemon Demon forums...)

EDIT: Also the creator of Potter Puppet Pals.

Legend of Korra is back, in case you didn't hear.

I dunno if people still care about Korra, which is understandable after last season. It was a very weak season of television (both in my opinion and in popular opinion) that was only slightly recouped by some good episodes toward the end. 

So far, Season 3 is a breath of fresh air. All the main characters are out of their horrible, petty, plot-convenience-inducing angst idiocy that they spent the latter half of Season 2 digging themselves out of. There's no teen romance (so far). The animation is back to a consistent high quality. We've met more old friends from A:tLA (but it doesn't seem too fanservicey) and new faces that've already piqued my interest. The plot is developing in a couple of promising directions. Only complaint: not enough Lin Beifong.

After a incredibly shitty day fixing a broken down PC I needed something unrelentingly happy and optimistic to cheer myself up, so I fired up Disney's Tarzan on amazon prime.

I'm not sure if it's because the majority of animation I watch these days are anime which are prone to taking shortcuts for both budget and stylistic reasons but damn, I'm not sure if I was just to young to appreciate but the way Disney animate movement is really impressive.

Maybe it was just that I had just reached an age where I appreciated that sort of thing when it came out, but Disney's Tarzan movie just seemed amazingly well animated to me. I think it was the first time an animated movie impressed me simply by the way it looked.

...of course it was also the first movie I had ever seen in a movie theatre, so that may have had something to do with it as well.

Maybe it was just that I had just reached an age where I appreciated that sort of thing when it came out, but Disney's Tarzan movie just seemed amazingly well animated to me. I think it was the first time an animated movie impressed me simply by the way it looked.

...of course it was also the first movie I had ever seen in a movie theatre, so that may have had something to do with it as well.

I remember feeling the same sort of way about Aladdin, but I think part of that comes from it being the last film I ever saw in the cinema with my parent's before I became a surely teenager too embarrassed to be accompanied by them.

Have decided in light of the how much I admired the craft in Tarzan, I have decided to follow it up by watching a few more of Disney's offerings on amazon prime.

Tonight it's the Princess and the Frog, so far it remains equally impressive craft wise, we've had at least 3 distinct art styles on show and I've actually laughed out loud at a jazz alligator, & some really nice work with silhouettes.

I'll admit neither have been particularly impressive in terms of story (although some of the character work has been quite nice) but it does make me sad Disney never made itself a 'skunkworks' studio just to produce smaller investment high risk work focused on developing the craft.

By the way, for anyone who hasn't noticed it yet, both Rick and Morty are played by the same voice actor who plays Lemongrab from Adventure Time.

After I recorded the Erin McGathy podcast, she took me into the Rick and Morty writing room, where Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland were talking with the other writers. Justin Roiland is a weirdo. He wanted me to tell him about Isaac Newton, but as I was answering a question, he just kind of went off on a tangent about a weird dream he had. It's strange to meet a person who's voice is the voice of things you know. I just kept waiting for him to shout UNACCCEPPTTABBLE in that constipated, Lemongrab way. 

I remember doing a Disney marathon with a bunch of fellow animation students back when I was in college, and everyone in the room collectively going apeshit over a single shot of a door opening in Sleeping Beauty.

You aren't wrong, Tarzan did some really impressive animation stuff at the time, with regards to the parkour-tree-swinging stuff (I think it was some kind of CG-hybrid technique).

IIRC, that was mostly drowned out by "Soundtrack by Phil Collins" and "Musical number by Rosie o'Donnell".

By the way, for anyone who missed it, there was an Adventure Time book signing a few days ago where Marceline's voice actor confirmed that Marceline and Princess Bubblegum used to date. They aren't allowed to say so explicitly because homosexuality is still a crime in some countries where the show is aired.

Yay?

I think in the publicity for Tarzan they talked about using new methods to get a load of parallax and layers or whatever going on with the trees/foliage. They may have used the term "depth of field"...

Nobody responded when I brought it up at the beginning of the season, so I suspect nobody cares about Season 3 of Legend of Korra.

If so, you're making a mistake. The season just finished and it was the most beautiful season of television I've seen in a while. It was easily (EASILY) the caliber of ATLA's final seasons. With the caveat that, unfortunately, it was only 13 episodes long compared to 20 or 21.

If you ever liked the Avatar cartoons but fell off the wagon last season, you owe it to yourself to watch Season 3. It's available for free in its entirety on Nickelodeon's website. I'm having trouble convincing people to watch it since Season 2 scared so many people away... but I have to try. It's so, so good, but apparently doing pretty miserable business for the channel.

Nobody responded when I brought it up at the beginning of the season, so I suspect nobody cares about Season 3 of Legend of Korra.

If so, you're making a mistake. The season just finished and it was the most beautiful season of television I've seen in a while. It was easily (EASILY) the caliber of ATLA's final seasons. With the caveat that, unfortunately, it was only 13 episodes long compared to 20 or 21.

If you ever liked the Avatar cartoons but fell off the wagon last season, you owe it to yourself to watch Season 3. It's available for free in its entirety on Nickelodeon's website. I'm having trouble convincing people to watch it since Season 2 scared so many people away... but I have to try. It's so, so good, but apparently doing pretty miserable business for the channel.

I've got it stored up, but I've been pushing through several other shows the past few months, so I haven't gotten to move on it yet. I'm excited to hear that it's worth my time, that I don't have to scrimp and save for good moments like the previous season.

Yeah I watched season two and thought it was okay at best except for the outstanding origin episodes. I've heard season three more than makes up for it. Damnit.

If I also didn't like the first season at all do you think I'd like it?

I dunno. It's definitely better than the first season. I guess it depends on what about the first season you didn't like.

I will say that, frustratingly, the entire premise of the third season is wrapped up intimately with how Season 2 ends (which should be unsurprising to anyone who actually got that far). I can't blame anyone for skipping Season 2 to get to Season 3, but you'll definitely need to read a summary or something to catch up.

I dunno. It's definitely better than the first season. I guess it depends on what about the first season you didn't like.

I will say that, frustratingly, the entire premise of the third season is wrapped up intimately with how Season 2 ends (which should be unsurprising to anyone who actually got that far). I can't blame anyone for skipping Season 2 to get to Season 3, but you'll definitely need to read a summary or something to catch up.

Season two isn't bad, it's just overwhelmingly simplistic and petty in how it draws many of its characters. I was and am surprised at how mature Aang appears as an Avatar-in-training compared to Korra, who never stops being a hot mess even when she's on top.