I just saw a cute thumbnail on Youtube with the words "Bee and Puppycat Part 2" on it... and I had to click that.

I had so much fun!!! Haven't watched cartoons for a while, I'm such an idiot! 

So it's time to talk about Gravity Falls, the secret best TV series of this past year.

BzMyD.gif

Hog hug!! Hogarth Hughes!

"Secret best" is a good name for it. I said on Page 1 that Gravity Falls is really close to being just the best thing, and I still really hope Season 2 totally makes it.

Some stuff is good, and other stuff is perfect!

I'm not at the end, but this reminded me to catch up, so I'll catch up right now!!!

I'm excited to find out what "story payoff" is. They've had things floating around since episode 1, but y'know, it's a cartoon.

tumblr_mfgfjmqtz91ritteso1_5001.gif

EDIT-- Oh y'know what? Speaking of cartoons, I had to argue with my boss today as to why he should stop getting so excited about motion capture. He thinks it's an animation-generator, and doesn't get the downside. I sniffed this out, and explained that the funnest stuff is the stuff people can't do in real life, but it just went around in circles.

ei15OUZ.gif

Ended up looking up a tonne of Woody clips. He's so amazing, the nutty stuff he does.

DIT-- Oh y'know what? Speaking of cartoons, I had to argue with my boss today as to why he should stop getting so excited about motion capture. He thinks it's an animation-generator, and doesn't get the downside. I sniffed this out, and explained that the funnest stuff is the stuff people can't do in real life, but it just went around in circles.

Yeah, you can never win the mocap vs. animation argument. If you point out awkward, bland, or stiff mocap work, the reply will be that the technology is not there yet but it will be soon. Paying animators is seen as an unnecessary expense by many business heads I think. I guess in the end it technically is an animation generator very good for realistic type CG characters, but at best that's all often just animators painstakingly going over the mocap frames to add the needed exaggeration and clean up.

Also that Sonic CD intro is still fucking awesome. Nothing else Sonic in the animated world has ever reached that quality. And everything else on that page. Great link Mr. Smell, now that I've seen Day of the Tentacle and Akira on the same page I'm going to waste another hour fucking around on the internet.

EDIT: AHHH NOW I SAW A CLIP FROM THE MASAAKI YUASA GENIUS PARTY SHORT.

EDIT 2: Oh wait, already ran out of pages, can get back to work now.

even with perfect motion capture technology the only things that could be perfectly motion captured would be things that actually exist, and only if the animation is of exactly what it motion captured, there is no way to motion capture a monster etc. without animators fixing the parts that can't be motion captured.

Monster House had an awesome monster house.

I caught up on Gravity Falls. The finale was cute.

I kept thinking they were gonna cut off at the end when he opened the door, or went downstairs, or got the last book, or started working, or opened the portal... But they just kept going!

So yesterday I watched the first episode of the new CG Batman series.

Batman has a cell phone that shows up on caller ID. As "Bruce Wayne." And makes video calls.

OK. I've started watching - out of pure curiosity and a hunch that this is the sort of thing I like - the old 80s cartoon Ulysses 31. Never saw it as a kid, but I did love all the other Jean Chalopin cartoons, notably Inspector Gadget and Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors. Ulysses 31 turns out to be glorious.

It features Ulysses (Odysseus), who is designed as Space Jesus:

ulysse.jpg

It's pretty heavy stuff for a kid's show. Yes, the animation is stiff and ugly, and there's a thick layer of randomly stupid dialogue, but pierce that crust and you have a totally psychedelic sci-fi take on Homer's Odyssey, with scary floating people, a mechanical cyclops and angry gods. Also accompanied by a rockin' electric guitar soundtrack.

ulysses31_crew.jpg

I can in good faith only recommend this to people who have a thing for 80s cartoons though.

I'm pretty sure I loved every old cartoon and I could still enjoy then today up until... Mega Babies, which was just gross for the sake of being gross, in the 80's there were gross cartoons with slime and snot, but Mega Babies had them vomit literal river with a lot of detail, "fill" their diaper until it was bigger than a truck and it was pretty messed up... And not in the way Ren & Stimpy or South Park, here it was just messed up for the sake of being messed up and it WAS intended for kids.

Oh crap, I had successfully repressed my memories of that awful show until now.

So I'm caught up on Adventure Time again. "The Vault" is another one of those bombshell episodes where a bunch of loose ends are addressed at once, yet the thing that blew my mind the most was that it drops in this inexplicable nod to Super Hexagon of all things.

iDPAre8.png

dude I was just lying in bed thinking about stuff and only just now realized how hilarious it is that a recent episode of Adventure Time revealed that Finn is partially colourblind but that Jake the fucking DOG isn't.

I'm pretty sure he had to deal with Marceline's hunger with red before and he was dating a flaming red princess, how did he just find out now he's color blind?

Holy shit; Marcia Wallace died. Apparently they're retiring Mrs. Krabappel as a result.

I've always subscribed to the "The Simpsons will end when a major voice actor dies" theory, so maybe this is it.

I don't know if Marcia Wallace was a big enough actor in the show to warrant the whole thing ending. A lot of the actors/actresses do multiple major characters on the show, so if someone like... Dan Castelleneta (I can't spel so gud) were to pass away, I think it would signal the end. But Marcia Wallace (as far as I know) only did Edna, who was at most points a fairly minor character anyways. Also, since Krabappel was a teacher, it would be easy to just say she transferred to a different school or something if they really need to set stuff at the school again.

Its sad, but I don't quite think this is the end of the Simpsons just yet.

I think the Simpsons will end when it stops making money. I've been re watching the old episodes and up until season 10 the show is so good, like amazingly good.

I don't know if Marcia Wallace was a big enough actor in the show to warrant the whole thing ending. A lot of the actors/actresses do multiple major characters on the show, so if someone like... Dan Castelleneta (I can't spel so gud) were to pass away, I think it would signal the end. But Marcia Wallace (as far as I know) only did Edna, who was at most points a fairly minor character anyways. Also, since Krabappel was a teacher, it would be easy to just say she transferred to a different school or something if they really need to set stuff at the school again.

Its sad, but I don't quite think this is the end of the Simpsons just yet.

Edna's married to Ned now. She's the Simpsons' nextdoor neighbour. She's still minor, but surprisingly a lot less minor than she used to be.

I agree that it'll take the death of someone more prominent to end the show though. Harry Shearer's like seventy now.

Edna's married to Ned now. She's the Simpsons' nextdoor neighbour. She's still minor, but surprisingly a lot less minor than she used to be.

Man I forgot about that.  This means that Ned has effectively lost 2 wives.  Poor stupid Flanders.

Damn, that's terrible... but if her character was married to Ned, I wonder what they'll do, if she was just a teacher she could retire, will they have to kill her off screen or something like that? :(

Oh crap, I had successfully repressed my memories of that awful show until now.

I too had repressed my Mega Babies memories. Thanks for nothing, Tanukitsune.

Bee and Puppycat appeared on the 3DS video app and I fell in love pretty quickly. I am going to give to that Kickstarter for sure now, even though I have no money. I really hope they make it even though they have $100,000. I'm pretty sick of bad American cartoons at this point.

I'm normally kind of ambivalent about this sort of cute/random/ttly awesome cartoon that's become so prevalent, but that was really very enjoyable.