George Lucas Disney is ruining Star Wars!

Well someone has to ruin it. I suppose if it gets "more ruined" that means it's not been totally "ruined" yet. Not until Lucas builds his time machine and goes back to replace the original trilogy and the 90's-KOTOR games with crap as well.

Who am I kidding? I'm still an optimist. Season 4 of MLP will be great, the new Star Wars trilogy will be awesome, and the world is made of sun and rainbows. Take that world, you'll never crush my optimism, neverrrrr! But who's making this besides "Executive Producers" which is Hollywood code for "I get paid to not do much on this show!"

Not that it matters, its Disney. Phineas and Ferb was there one good cartoon of the last, 5 years, and even that has outstayed its originality by about two years now. Even my optimism isn't enough to battle this monster of mediocrity.

George Lucas Disney is ruining Star Wars!

Well someone has to ruin it. I suppose if it gets "more ruined" that means it's not been totally "ruined" yet. Not until Lucas builds his time machine and goes back to replace the original trilogy and the 90's-KOTOR games with crap as well.

I'm beginning to get a Bioshock Infinite vibe from the history of the Star Wars. There is always a franchise and a ruiner.

I'm beginning to get a Bioshock Infinite vibe from the history of the Star Wars. There is always a franchise and a ruiner.

Always two there are, no more, no less.  A franchise and a ruiner.

While I'm not particularly excited about a new Star Wars anything, I am a big fan of Greg Weisman.  I kinda liked Young Justice and I'm a HUGE Gargoyles fan (except for the third season which Greg had nothing to do with).

Wait, wait, wait... The Gargoyles guy did Young Justice? I fucking love Gargoyles and had written off Young Justice for looking terrible! What a fool I've been!

Young Justice had some good stuff in it, but there were a lot of plot lines going on at once and several episodes are basically recaps/info dumps to try to bring them together.  I do like their version of Robin but Miss Martian drove me NUTS ("Hello Megan!"  WORST CATCHPHRASE EVER).  But yes, Greg Weisman, the creator of Gargoyles, made Young Justice.  He also made The Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, but I never saw that.  He also has a blog where he answers questions about his shows.

And while looking at said blog, I just learned that the entire Gargoyles series is available for streaming for free.  Sweet.

Oh man, the latest two episodes of Adventure Time:

Shh!

Maybe this is a weird thing to say, but I really liked the foley on this one. All of the little sounds of writing with felt tip markers and shuffling cardstock around really stuck out. Plus the Bikini Babes were hilarious and I loved seeing Jake explore the little world in the wall. I kind of go thinking, though... Where did BMO come from exactly? Is BMO prewar technology? How did BMO meet Finn and Jake? What's BMO's deal with wanting to be human? I hope we get a glimpse of that eventually

The Suitor

This is the deepest we've gotten into the recurring thread that Peppermint Butler probably has the most potential for evil of the entire cast. Before; we learned that he's good friends with Death, that he craves human flesh, and that he can immediately recognize possession by the Lich. What is his fucking deal?

Also, I wonder if there's a reason why Braco is an anthropomorphization of the Banana Guards.

EDIT: Oh, and I love Princess Bubblegum's glasses/sweater/labcoat look.

EDIT EDIT: Also, I guess the presence of Mind Games puts an end to the theory that Jay T. Doggzone is actually Jake the Dog.

I liked the first season of Young Justice, but the second one lost me, it felt like it was being dramatic for drama's sake, like most super hero comics I don't like to read, speaking of which. has anybody else seen the new Teen Titan's GO!? It's pretty funny.

The second season of YJ does get pretty heavy with the drama.  I feel like the series had potential, but it'll never be realized because they had to make room for yet another Batman cartoon.  I like Batman too but enough already.

Rewatched a few episodes of Gargoyles last night.  Man that show was good.

So I finally got around to watching the last few episodes of Mystery Incorporated. That was nuts. Tremendous spoiler warning:

I wasn't sure what to think going into the ending with the crazy Kingdom of the Crystal Skull crap, but I really like how it all worked out. For one thing it let them get away with some pretty heavy stuff (like killing Marcie). Gradually realizing that the alternate universe was actually the universe of the original series (complete with laugh track) was incredible, and the revelation that Harlan Ellison was the only guest to play himself because he's supposed to be the actual real world Harlan Ellison, having hopped several timelines, was phenomenal.

And of course, I was super pleased with the implication that Velma and Marcie seem to be in a relationship in this timeline.

Oh, also, might as well mention the most recent Adventure Time. With all the recent sympathy for the Ice King, it was kind of jarring to see him in full-on creepy weirdo mode again. I'm glad they did it though.

I ended up not giving up Mystery Incorporated thanks to YOU tegan!

It's kind of amazing. There are so many references. Man. Also, Fred is genuinely hilarious. Almost everything he does makes me laugh, which is kind of great, 'cause he was always the most straightforward of the characters in the original run! Man, I'm so glad I kept going.

I'm almost done with the series now. Oh god.

Tremors

I watched that movie so many times when I was a kid. I think maybe barring the

Twin Peaks

reference, this is my favorite.

Cheesy as it is, that melancholic stringy music style always gets me. I love it.

Also, I have a lot of friends who for some reason found the first season lacking, but I fucking loved it. More than the original series. I'M EXCITED ALSO!!

Someone on Skype was re-watching Samurai Jack recently, and they eventually dragged me down to do the same thing!

I never watched the cartoon when it was first on. Every time I watched a couple minutes, I thought "Oh it looks like he's about to get back to the past, I better not watch the spoilers! I'll wait til they loop back around."

In hindsight: that was really dumb.

The main thing I know about this, 10 years later, is that it won awards and was really popular. Watching it now, it's easy to see why. The cartoon has a boldly slow pace that isn't like anything else- The first episode is all 22 minutes of montage just to set up the show. They form a slow, stoic style and stick to it really well. It seems like the kind of thing that would never get funded in such a valuable spot as being on Cartoon Network, because it's the least in-your-face interpretation of a Samurai you could come up with, but here it is!

It's interesting and cool.

Oh also I watched Hunchback of Notre-Dam recently. I fucking love Disney 1995-2005, they're at fucking PRIME animation talent but I can''t remember what happens or who any of the characters are. Which is a plus!

Hunchback of Notre-Dam, apparently, is about being shy and alone, and it's just wonderful. You forget, in this day and age, that Disney used to produce films like this..

On that note: if you just watched Monsters U: DEFINITELY dig out Monsters Inc again. The difference in the feeling you get from each film is night and day, it still holds up.

That's my Watcha Bin Playin' segment for this month, I guess.

I loved Samurai Jack.  I thought there were some very clever homages.  Plus, I'm a sucker for things with an amor fati theme.  Also the late, great Mako does some of the best voice over work.  I'm quite a fan of Genndy Tartakovsky in general.  His Clone Wars cartoon was what I actually wanted to see in the movies

RE Duck Dodgers:  This is one of my favorite things ever.  "Wake up.  You are lazy and worthless"

I rewatched the first episode of Samurai Jack a day or two ago, which may or may not lead to me rewatching the whole series.  Damn, that show is so good.

I'm not super excited for new Legend of Korra, but I am slightly excited.  I don't like it as much as the original series, but there are some things I really like about it (and the rest I just normal level like).

t's such a weird voice!

I like how 90% of the stuff mentioned on this page has Mako in it.

...He was pretty good in the 2007 Ninja Turtles film. It's too bad that animation studio went on to do a really disappointing Astro Boy movie with Nicholas Cage and then just shut down.

...am I the only person who liked the Astro Boy movie?

I watched it three times in theatres and own it on DVD.

I would be a lot more forgiving of the movie if I weren't such a huge fan of Astro Boy. It's got a lot of little things that I love (the butt machine guns return for the first time in ages, there are cameos from both Tezuka himself and Hyoutan-Tsugi, etc); but there's so much stuff that felt really tacked on from a generic CG kids' movie (whatsherface with the dyed hair, colour-coded energy balls, those goddamned annoying British robots) and it doesn't match the tone of the Astro Boy manga at all. I'd really love to see another shot at it though, because there's so much you can get out of the character.

So it's time to talk about Gravity Falls, the secret best TV series of this past year.

BzMyD.gif

Hog hug!! Hogarth Hughes!

The first season just ended and the show's only just been confirmed to be continuing for a second, and I couldn't be more psyched. The season finale was absolutely perfect. So many great moments (like the infomercial Grunkle Stan watches and everything Soos does), tons of story payoff while still raising the bar for potential mysteries in the second season. Unfortunately I can't really talk about it without dropping massive spoilers. The series as a whole is exactly the sort of thing that I wish had been on TV when I was a kid: spooky overarching paranormal conspiracy stuff driven by quirky characters and funny dialogue. It's also super pretty. And the theme song is fantastic. Go watch it right now. Particularly recommended to anyone who liked the recent version of Scooby-Doo that I gushed about a few pages back.

i started watching The Venture Bros. because Brock Samson was in poker night 2 and he seemed cool plus i think Patrick Warburton has a cool voice, i really like it, it is set in a world where superheroes and supervillains exist everywhere and there are specific rules that villains and heroes must play by (explaining why super villains don't just kill the heroes) and you can tell everything about it is done out of love for comics, cartoons and tv shows about superheroes and supervillains

16_53.jpg

Very specifically, it's done out of love of old cartoons like Jonny Quest. Race Bannon even shows up at one point.

I just want to give a shout-out to Inside Out Boy. Repressed memories of this show from my childhood have recently emerged and I realize it was the cause of my fear of going too high on the swing set.