I have immense nostalgia for Scooby Doo (and pretty much every other Hanna-Barbera cartoon from around that time, despite most of them being awful!), so I started watching the new series based on your recommendation. Goddamn Scooby has the dumbest fucking voice and I hate it. Not that I expected any different, but I did expect to be able to tolerate it.

I saw a clip of the new Scooby Doo, where Scooby went into the Twin Peaks red room and the dwarf was there. Luckily, no screaming women.

TIME TO MY LITTLE PONY: 21 POSTS

I was legit waiting for someone to say that. I watched the first couple episodes and thought it was really cool how they took THAT old thing, and made THIS out of it. I know one guy who actually kept up with it, and he said "It slowly turned into a boy's cartoon" which was a really weird thing to think about. Cos yeah, the last episode of Season 2 is a giant fight scene, which is incredibly weird.

Also I love that the internet went fucking crazy on that cartoon, cos it ended up everyone getting

I used to like Futurama, but there was literally a day where I decided to stop watching. It was in the feature-length episode "Beast With A Billion Backs". They chose to make a movie about the fucking loneliest being in existance bringing on a solipsistic brain-washing of the earth, and I just realised that this show is miserable. Everyone hates everyone, Fry, Bender, Leela, Zoidberg, every character: they're all thoughtlessly mean, stupid or sad! It's always the end of the world, Fry's dog's alone, everyone from 1999 misses him, his girlfriend came back and hated him, Bender got obese and died, Leela cries openly about once every 3 episodes, Santa is a murderous robot-- aurgh!! Suicide booths!

At least Milhouse wins SOMETIMES, y'know?

...and now I'm wondering why I like Always Sunny in Philidelphia so much. I kind of feel like that's more of a cartoon, and all that stuff comes off as funny.

I watched the first season of My Little Pony and thought it was okay, but it really did turn into a boys' cartoon. Specifically, I feel like it gradually started catering to the weird peripheral adult fanbase that it gained, probably culminating with "Derpy Hooves" becoming an extremely ill-advised canonical name.

Um, Derpy Hooves is not her canonical name, it's name every fan uses, but it's not her real name and after she spoke one line, she was relegated to a very well hidden background character.

Just ignore what the crazy fans say... They "made" one background pony an alcoholic because she had grapes as a cutie mark and one is Dr. "Whooves" because he has an hourglass as his cutiemark. ¬_¬

And how is this pandering to adults males? I watched the original show when I was a kid and it has villains and action very regulary, it was like a regular action cartoon show, but with ponies, think Gummi Bears with ponies, only less well written and animated.

Note that they changed the scene after they received complaint letters, particularly ones from parents of special needs children.

Yeah Derpy Hooves is definately a character, it was a whole thing that blew up on em for a while. It's crazy that that voice got to air.

I think it's great that the fanbase interpreted one of the characters as a drunkard from like... half an animation cycle. I think that's funny.

and I don't know what's up with that.

Well, yeah, she's an "official" background character, but that's her official name. She may even appear in games and toys, but they never call her Derpy Hooves, because it would upset their parents I presume?

I just posted the clip where they called her Derpy, which was the only time she was directly addressed by name on the show! They've since stopped referring to her by name at all to avoid controversy, but she's very definitely been given the official name Derpy Hooves.

Derpy is featured in her Nightmare Night paper bags costume in the Castle Creator flash game, with the file name for her asset containing the word "Derpy".[14] A December 2011 update to the game contained another Derpy asset, wearing a reindeer cap and a red nose, this time with its file name containing the phrase "DH_definitely_canon".[15] The day Hearth's Warming Eve aired, The Hub's Facebook page posted a message encouraging readers to "spot fan favorite Derpy" in the episode.[16]

I watched the first season of My Little Pony and thought it was okay, but it really did turn into a boys' cartoon. Specifically, I feel like it gradually started catering to the weird peripheral adult fanbase that it gained, probably culminating with "Derpy Hooves" becoming an extremely ill-advised canonical name.

Yep, definitely gone downhill in some ways. I watched the first season, the one I enjoy the most episodes from, because ahhhh... that's the show I wanted to watch. There's less episodes that I enjoyed from 2, and only handful from 3, and... well whatever. Most shows go downhill over time anyway, the creators run out of ideas, that characters run out of situations to be in, it happens. I mean, that last episode of Season 3 almost felt a bit, desperate? "Well we need to do this, so lets just go with some yada yada yada and get done with it." There wasn't even a plot beyond getting Twilight to be a princess.

It's a bit sad really. I think the whole "guy like this show that's target towards little girls!" was the most attention grabbing thing, but that doesn't mean it should have been what the show was about. My brothers ex girlfriend enjoyed the show, cosplayed as Rainbow Dash and she was 17 at the time; there were plenty of older female fans. I remember sitting in a coffee shop, and hearing two little girls and a boy discussing the show and which characters they wanted to be. It was something everyone could enjoy, the sort of thing Pixar was good at in it's first decade of operation, a thing that could appeal across age groups and "demographics" regardless. But, all good things must come to an end.

Really it's amazing Futurama and The Simpsons were as great as they for that long. But then I guess not every show can be run by Matt Groening.

I think my favorite part of Futurama is all the stupid yet hilarious math/science jokes.  Most of them are totally hidden and not referenced at all in the actual episode, but they make me laugh so hard when I find them.

Oh, as long as we're talking about small horse cartoon now, was anyone else aware of the ridiculous movie spin-off where they're all human teenagers in high school? Because it looks positively cringe-inducing.

9/10 chance they awkwardly insert a boyfriend for Rainbow Dash to compensate for how she basically has to look outrageously gay to even resemble her original character design.

Well.... I'm pretty sure they want to compete with

, it's ridiculously popular in many countries.

Oh, as long as we're talking about small horse cartoon now, was anyone else aware of the ridiculous movie spin-off where they're all human teenagers in high school? Because it looks positively cringe-inducing.

9/10 chance they awkwardly insert a boyfriend for Rainbow Dash to compensate for how she basically has to look outrageously gay to even resemble her original character design.

Gah! That was another thing I noted, a lot of people at Deviantart (yay deviantart!) are fans of the show. The first season was, hey look Rainbow Dash is rather tomboyish, and she's "best friends" with Fluttershy, and people loved making the most of that!

It didn't even have to be officially "supported" at all, I mean people being free to use their imaginations to extend things in their head is what builds those rabid fans to begin with. But nooo, can't even let that happen in people's imaginations, have to explicitly stop that implication as the show goes on. Can't let that adorable story where a little (girl? boy? can't remember) is playing with Rainbow Dash and Applejack dolls, and he announces that they're getting married, and his (maybe a boy?) old aunt disapproves. "They're girls, they can't get married!" "Why not?" "Jesus says they can't." "Well then I'm worshiping Satan!" (apparently a true story). Can't let that happen, so let's get rid of that.

It reminds me of what happened to Star Wars and Return of the Jedi. The first two Star Wars came from the same original story, Lucas had written this huge thing out to hours and hours. His producer recognized it couldn't be done in one movie, edited the first two thirds or so out to a single movie, and was also responsible for scouting locations, casting, and etc. When working on Return of the Jedi he and Lucas clashed over any number of things, including the damned Ewoks, which Lucas wanted in for the sole purpose of having as toys, while his producer (Gary Kurtz) wanted them out, and a much darker tone. Together they sort of balanced each other out, lighhearted and serious, Lucas with the crazy ideas and Kurtz the more serious producer type. But Lucas won out in the end, with Kurtz leaving production and Return ended up as the weakest of the first three because of it.

But nooo, can't even let that happen in people's imaginations, have to explicitly stop that implication as the show goes on. Can't let that adorable story where a little (girl? boy? can't remember) is playing with Rainbow Dash and Applejack dolls, and he announces that they're getting married, and his (maybe a boy?) old aunt disapproves. "They're girls, they can't get married!" "Why not?" "Jesus says they can't." "Well then I'm worshiping Satan!" (apparently a true story). Can't let that happen, so let's get rid of that.

Wait, what?

For the record: I think My Little Pony is obviously a cartoon for babies, and is pretty unwatchable.

I mean hey they did a great job, and I respect it, I think it's super interesting, but the actual show clearly not for me.

If I had to watch a full episode of Powerpuff Girls or Adventure Time then thumbs up, but Fluttershy is the shy one and that's more or less her whole thing. There aren't any actually funny jokes or anything.

Oh also I was gonna say wow, this trailer REALLY shows the limits of their animation. Doesn't look so great when the characters aren't chubby marshmellows. Also Rainbowdash being a lesbian is fun, it'd be a shame to stomp it out.

I think I'd actually prefer it if this was live action.

You know, this movie is unfathomable. Let's make a movie and try to rake in tons of moneys off this popular franchise... by making it nothing like the actual show it's based on. Baffle me this, Batman.

Well it's obviously some producer asshole said "How do we transition into the tween demographic? We make them high school girls, duh, easy. Free money."

Lauren Faust came from Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends to develop the My Little Pony cartoon. After Season 1, she left and started work on

. Which is why that seems fun and this doesn't.

Too bad it didn't get picked up for another season, but I still think the MLP movie was made to compete with Monster High, Monster High is more for tweens, and the MLP characters in the trailer LOOK like Monster High characters, only a little less "bedazzled", they have the same ridiculously long legs and skirts.

Geez, if this thread gets any more ponified, we'll start talking about Snowdrop and My Little Dashie. *shrugs*

Well it's like Bratz and W.I.T.C.H and Winx Club, and everything that's sad and weird about girls' cartoons.

Woah, don't put Bratz with those other shows, at least W.I.T.C.H. and Winx Club had some action with the whole being half Sailor Moon, half Harry Potter.

But yeah, you can already tell they will be "BOOOOYZ" from the trailer, I just hope they don't go the "SHOOES!" and "FASHION EMERGENCY!" one too. :|

Is everyone in this thread a real person or is my life like The Truman Show and everything is designed to provoke a reaction from me?

Also, watch this:

That's the guy who did the April Fool's Day episode of Adventure Time!