Jake

Idle Thumbs 103: A Person-Shaped Thing is a Person

Idle Thumbs 103:

390__header.jpg

A Person-Shaped Thing is a Person

In the darkness of space it becomes hard to tell friend from foe. It seems landing a crew safely in unknown territory is harder than you thought. You realize your mistake: "I'm low on fuel; need to load up." Without getting up, a simple gesture is recognized and your display flickers to life. "One 16-pocket crazy crust cheese pizza, please. Extra olives." Satisfied, you lean back and wait.

Games Discussed: Neptune's Pride 2: Triton, Pizza Hut for Xbox 360, Kerbal Space Program, Papers Please

Listening to the Neptune's Pride 2 conversation as I eagerly await the game we put together here on the boards to start is TERRIFYING.

I think this is the best episode of this podcast ever, oh my goodness.

Jake should know that I actually had to hand out the name "Jake Rodkin" to one of the participants in a NP2 game here as their anonymous name. So good job everyone for that.

Oh gosh, speaking of Nintendo being into "different," they're apparently not doing a conference this year at E3. I'm not sure how I feel about that because, on the one hand, while I do care about E3 I don't care about E3. On the other hand, that's a big point of exposure and Nintendo is like, "Nope, we don't need that."

Listening to the Neptune's Pride 2 conversation as I eagerly await the game we put together here on the boards to start is TERRIFYING.

I KNOW.

I really like the latest tweak to Wuxtry. The rolling start joins up with the existing theme at kind of an awkward point, but it's still a big improvement.

You revealed Nick's colour!
NICK, READ THIS MESSAGE BEFORE THEY SILENCE ME!!

...MC'DONALDS!

edit- aw I was excited to hear a sweet plug for Newgrounds, then dismayed to hear that it was about some weird ad thing. I'm sure the guys there are horrified and don't know it's happening, I'll send em a cast clip.

It sucks cos I just got back from Flash Game Summit, and it's this giant gross downward-spiral of in-app-purchases and unskippable video ads before games, and Newgrounds is the only one site that refuses to be a part of it.

They fuckin pay for it and are the absolute bottom of the pack now, cos they spent time on an Art Portal, open-source software and Developer Blogs instead of keeping up with this awesome monetization stuff.

Oh gosh, speaking of Nintendo being into "different," they're apparently not doing a conference this year at E3. I'm not sure how I feel about that because, on the one hand, while I do care about E3 I don't care about E3. On the other hand, that's a big point of exposure and Nintendo is like, "Nope, we don't need that."

I think it makes sense for them. They've got Nintendo Direct now, which is popular and cheap. Now they don't need to get on stage and be awkward and get laughed at. They can do that in the comfort of their office now! The internet happened.

Still leaves the problem of getting preview games in the hands of press, though. Ah, behind-closed-door events for getting games in the hands of press!

EDIT: Also, this episode is already the best (I'm at the Petman bit.)

what if you glue a bunch of cats into the shape of a person :huh:

If you did it would take an incredible amount of training and practice for the swarm-cat-man to jump up and shout mcdonalds so it could get back to watching tv.

I think it makes sense for them. They've got Nintendo Direct now, which is popular and cheap. Now they don't need to get on stage and be awkward and get laughed at. They can do that in the comfort of their office now! The internet happened.

Still leaves the problem of getting preview games in the hands of press, though. Ah, behind-closed-door events for getting games in the hands of press!

EDIT: Also, this episode is already the best (I'm at the Petman bit.)

This has been a bad year for Nintendo so it's surprising to me that they don't use the opportunity to remind the big mainstream press outlets that they exist. I don't think Entertainment Weekly and USA Today care about Nintendo Direct, but they're the type of press who propelled the Wii into everyone's face.

This has been a bad year for Nintendo so it's surprising to me that they don't use the opportunity to remind the big mainstream press outlets that they exist. I don't think Entertainment Weekly and USA Today care about Nintendo Direct, but they're the type of press who propelled the Wii into everyone's face.

This is exactly what I was thinking. As far as I see it, the press conferences aren't /really/ for the 'gaming press' like IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot, etc. It's for the general mass media entertainment magazines and news outlets. Not advertising to them is weird to me.

Wait, do publications like Entertainment Weekly and USA Today really cover E3? Weird. I know it's a huge conference, but I always assumed that it was still niche enough to not really justify mainstream press coverage (unlike say, ComicCon).

Every time Nick chimes in during this podcast after the Neptune's Pride discussion, he seems slightly distracted; he seems to exist alongside the discussion, no doubt as he continues to formulate plans, theories and stratagems.

Wait, do publications like Entertainment Weekly and USA Today really cover E3? Weird. I know it's a huge conference, but I always assumed that it was still niche enough to not really justify mainstream press coverage (unlike say, ComicCon).

Yeah. It's not a huge focus of the magazine or paper, but it's always covered. Example: pretty much every year when Nintendo's secret conference trick was revealed that morning by the Wall Street Journal.

There are so many fantastic things about this picture, but my favorite is that if you look at context free (without knowing it's an ad), it really just looks like this guy is super happy that a wizard randomly showed up on his screen. Ugghhhhh, I love it.