Frenetic Pony

Nextbox 1080: The Reckoning

Games will be much smaller because you don't need to duplicate content. Currently a lot of content is stored multiple times on the disc in order to reduce seeking (which is really really slow). I don't think you'll see installs much larger than 10GB.

Wouldn't they then make the games bigger to take advantage of the increased storage capacity?

Wouldn't they then make the games bigger to take advantage of the increased storage capacity?

Sure, but I was basing my estimations on data used by PC games.

But it looks like I'm a bit off. Max Payne 3 is 30GB (this sounds wrong), Rage 21GB, Skyrim (with a bunch of high res mods) 17.5GB, Bioshock Infinite 17GB, Arkham City 16GB, L.A. Noire 13GB, Mass Effect 3 12GB

Other games are between 5 and 10GB: Saints Row 3, Spec Ops, Alan Wake, Borderlands 2 (all dlc), BrutalLegend, Darksiders 2, Deus Ex HR, Metro 2033, Bioshock 2.

The rest <5GB.

So, I think between 10 and 20GB would be considered "normal" for "next gen" console installs, with a bunch going over 20GB. At 35MB/s max transfer rate for a 6 speed BluRay player that would be quite some install time, I wonder what the console fanbois think of that ;)

While we're on the subject of hard drives, an important thing to remember about the PS4 (and the PS3 for that matter) is that you can replace the hard drive with any laptop grade drive you like. Not only does that mean you can put a faster drive than the stock one in there like me, but you can even stick a mother fuckin' SSD in there if you have the cash.

Obviously that won't make installations any faster unless you download the games. But with such obscene amounts of memory being used for next-gen games I imagine speeding up the process of getting stuff from the hard drive into the RAM will have an appreciable effect on loading up levels, etc at the very least. Maybe an SSD would make Deus Ex: Human Revolution's loading times less horrifying.

While we're on the subject of hard drives, an important thing to remember about the PS4 (and the PS3 for that matter) is that you can replace the hard drive with any laptop grade drive you like. Not only does that mean you can put a faster drive than the stock one in there like me, but you can even stick a mother fuckin' SSD in there if you have the cash.

Obviously that won't make installations any faster unless you download the games, but it's likely to affect how quickly games can load things up. With such obscene amounts of memory being used for next-gen games I imagine speeding up the process of getting stuff from the hard drive into the RAM will have an appreciable effect on loading times at the very least. Maybe an SSD would make Deus Ex: Human Revolution's loading times less horrifying.

Given the PSN download speeds as it is right now, you're not going to get faster installs either way. Did they actually announce that the PS4 drive would be swappable? I didn't see that in the presentation.

Given the PSN download speeds as it is right now, you're not going to get faster installs either way. Did they actually announce that the PS4 drive would be swappable? I didn't see that in the presentation.

I meant after downloading, as unlike with a disc install you can just leave it doing that in the background. Although I am hoping a much better architecture will be going live to support the masses of shares videos and such that'll be going on.

I don't think there's anything stopping you from putting an SSD in a PS3 right now. I wonder if that's some wild upgrade, or if the likely SATAII connection in there won't benefit too much from it. Or if the PS3's OS simply doesn't play nice with an SSD due to excessive read/write operations/no optimization.

Someone who isn't me should definitely try it. :tup:

We have a new quote from Don Mattrick, recorded Sunday, publicized by Gametrailers today.

We have a product for people who cannot access some kind of internet connectivity and it's called Xbox 360.

A representative from Microsoft was later quoted as saying "If you want somebody's handouts I hear they're celebrating scrounging for scraps in the Video game breadline of that Hooverville, the POORstation 4."

A representative from Microsoft was later quoted as saying "If you want somebody's handouts I hear they're celebrating scrounging for scraps in the Video game breadline of that Hooverville, the POORstation 4."

... Poe's Law is totally screwing with my perception of this post.

... Poe's Law is totally screwing with my perception of this post.

That makes it so much better.

Hahaha, he only realized what he was saying right then when Geoff explained to him: "So, stick with Xbox 360, is what you're saying?" The level of not-knowing-what's-going-on of Microsoft is baffling.

(Of course, Sony had their heads up their asses too when talking about the Vita in any other terms than it being an unmitigated disaster.)

Ouch. Joke or truefacts quote?

In Mattrick's defense, that interviewer was unusually confrontational. He spent like twenty minutes trying to get a rise out of Reggie Fils-Aime.

You mean the interviewer who was working for the site providing Spike TV's coverage? The TV station that was paid off by Microsoft to NOT show the Sony press conference? Yeah, I bet he was really pitching hardballs at the Microsoft guys.

(Man this post is snarky. It was intended to be snarky towards Keighley and co., not towards you, Tegan.)

I don't recall ever seeing Geoff Keighley pitch a hardball. That's not how one gets exclusives.

"So stick with Xbox 360, is what you're saying?" was a relevant and rather tame response. I actually thought the stick with 360 concept was a joke until I saw that clip - the flowchart of decision making for wanting a new console and not wanting or not being able to use an always online system is not "buy a 360 instead"; it's "buy a PS4 instead". I presume Microsoft knows that and is bullshitting, but hey, maybe not.

At least we know they can just turn off the DRM stuff that's annoying people, assuming they plan on selling it in those non-green countries. Also, they sold like 27 total 360s in Japan, so no real loss there.