Sign in to follow this  
ChattyWhacker

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Since I don't see any topic discussions on the new release, I thought I'd start it off.

Not a bag game overall.  My sadistic side is a little disappointed with the absence of fatalities, though it is a different fighter serial.  Fantastic voice work though I'm not too big of a fan of Superman's voice.  All of it definitely reminded me of alternate demission travels of the Justice Lords episode from the Justice League cartoon and the animated film Crisis on Infinite Earths.

How about you guys?  Was the game yay or nay?

I played through the demo. Press x to awesome! You could do some pretty fantastical stuff with out much input. I prefer capcom fighters... Or I did. I haven't really Enjoyed a fighter since SF4. KOF13 is really good but I hate all the team shit, I just want one character god damn it!!!

Am I being really stupid of is there no way of blocking in this game?

I believe it's just back to block? Which is definitely a big change from all the MK games those guys made being built around a block button.

It actually sounds quite different from MK9, which is a bit surprising, i sort of expected that it would just be MK9 with DC characters. I also kind of assumed that with all the stage hazards and stuff that Injustice wouldn't be a competitively balanced fighter, but it seems like people are pretty optimistic about how the game will hold up.

I hear the netcode is a huge improvement over MK9 too.

It sounds like good fun, there's a lot of good buzz around it, but i don't think it's a game i'll be able to make time for.

I'm not really into fighters, so there's probably little to no chance I'll actually play it, but I'm curious about the story.  Why are they fighting and is there any justification to why non powered characters can fight the likes of Superman?  The answer will probably require spoiler tags.

In an alternate dimension, the Joker has tricked Superman to destroy all of Metropolis.  He kills Joker by hand and then purposes full totalitarian rule with the other superheroes.  The normal DC dimension is brought over to help stop the insane Superman with the resistance movement started by their Batman.  The major reason why everyone can take a hit is because they are given the convenient plot device of a pill that grants Superman’s durability but not his strength.

I thought Aquaman was Steve when I started playing multiplayer the other night:

Aquaman_Injustice_zps850d2176.jpg

I've been playing this game for review the last week. I came to the conclusion that it's a good game for MK9 fans, a good game for DC fans, a great game for fans of both, but if you have no prior interest in either, this is not a good place to start.

Even with the differences to blocking and one less attack button, the "feel" is very much like MK9. The way attacks, animation and super meter works are more or less the same. Put it this way: If you know enough about fighting games to care about the differences from MK, the difference is big. For someone like me, who liked MK because it let me kinda mash the buttons and had fairly easy super moves, it's very similar.

The story is as redonk as you'd expect from "let's take a fighting game and add comic book characters to it". Big, dumb, and full of contrivances. There was only one unexpected moment where I was like "woah..".