Murdoc

Neptune's Bountiful Pride: The Sequel

Hahaha, I guess if the Thumbs found ways for Neptune's Pride to be a source of endless life-ruining treachery, game 1 is finding ways for it to be crazy performance art.

Warp Gates: So do I need a warp gate between two systems like a star gate? Or do you put the warp gate on the star your launching from and that gives you the boost? Or do you get the boost traveling to a system with a warp gate?

A bit confused by them.

Also, I am both relieved and sad to see speed upgrades go, I liked how it changed the scale of the universe because you could be zipping around. The tactical advantages of being faster than another species or getting the upgrade in the middle of a jump while two fleets race for the same system was also great. There are other great things in Triton to make up for it though.

You need a warp gate on two stars to get a speed boost going between them.

You need a warp gate on two stars to get a speed boost going between them.

Damn that is costly.

I've started to get really paranoid about what other people are doing in parts of the nebula that aren't next to me.  Up until now I just accepted that I couldn't do anything about it so it didn't really matter, but I've started to get worried about the long run and who I should consider as potential allies/threats.  This has manifested itself in me taking screenshots of the galaxy every night and putting the present galaxy on one monitor and yesterday's on the other and spending too much time scanning back and forth to see what other people are doing (and even making notes).  I hate what I've become.

It's become tiresome now, but going AFK wouldn't be sportsmanlike :/

You know what'd be cool? An travel-time calculator that exists independent of carriers. It's annoying to have draw a flight path across my whole territory just so I can figure out how much time it'd take to travel between two stars that aren't in my immediate interests.

You know what'd be cool? An travel-time calculator that exists independent of carriers. It's annoying to have draw a flight path across my whole territory just so I can figure out how much time it'd take to travel between two stars that aren't in my immediate interests.

I usually just set the way points then cancel them before the carriers leave.

Press "V" to bring up the Distance Ruler, click between planets to get lightyear distance and travel time. It's a non-documented feature because it's apparently work-in-progress.

Man, when you lose this game, you lose SLOWLY. 

I get the feeling this will end slower than the original NP. Also I think a lot of games are lost before anyone realises it, but the time investment can make it very easy to slip into denial over how bad a decision has turned out.

The Baboo Kazoo Nebula is on it's 9th cycle and things are getting dark...

...but the time investment can make it very easy to slip into denial over how bad a decision has turned out.

This a million percent. Which again, is probably close to how actual civilizations collapse.

I get the feeling this will end slower than the original NP. Also I think a lot of games are lost before anyone realises it, but the time investment can make it very easy to slip into denial over how bad a decision has turned out.

On the other hand, though, external events can certainly intervene. (I have no idea who anyone is, so this is not a coded message.)

On the other hand, though, external events can certainly intervene. (I have no idea who anyone is, so this is not a coded message.)

Yeah it would be a shame if someone got hurt and was unable to play for some time. (this is a coded message brought to you by The Space Maffia)

Here's a screenshot of a game that I have lost recently:

C0XypMW.png

Both orange and purple have economy numbers well in the hundreds, and over 2000 ships each.  Blue is still in the game for some reason while everyone else is either dead or afk. I can only imagine what the conflict looks like on those borders.

How many cycles in is that? I don't have any real point of reference for when I should expect to surrender myself to my new leader.

I do occasionally wish there was some basic artificial intelligence to the fleets, or just the ability to set their movements on a time delay. I've just got back from a BBQ and I'm fully expecting to find my empire in utter ruins.

It's become tiresome now, but going AFK wouldn't be sportsmanlike :/

Sportsmanship? in Neptune's Pride? Who are you kidding :D

It's pretty disappointing how poorly balanced the research options are. You pretty much have to do weapons 2 right out of the gate, or you get steamrolled. There's no other upgrade path that competes with someone who gets weapons 2 first and just starts taking stars.

Well if you take the stars in your area and then just sort of build up ships to defend you should be equal since defending gives you a +1 bonus to weapons. 

It's pretty disappointing how poorly balanced the research options are. You pretty much have to do weapons 2 right out of the gate, or you get steamrolled. There's no other upgrade path that competes with someone who gets weapons 2 first and just starts taking stars.

That used to be the case with speed in NP1. If you didn't do speed in the first cycle you were doomed, which is probably why they removed it. Funny now how everyone is the same speed in the early game and now weapons is a deciding factor.

I found it troublesome because most people did research weapons so there was no trade going on. With proper coordination I guess two or three people could research different things, but in a game of strangers and unknown, that wasn't much of an option.

In both NP2 games I've played, I gained an early lead by coordinating tech development with a neighbor. 

Aw man, two going AFK in Baboo Kazoo, really? That's disappointing. Even if it means that I will now not be in last place by default.