Nachimir

Starseed Pilgrim

Has anyone else played Starseed Pilgrim?

It's minimal, and the audio/music is tied almost entirely to game events. I met Droqen at GDC; he's a lovely guy and this game is fascinating, but pretty hard to get into. You'll probably fail a lot without really understanding why, because it very intentionally doesn't hold your hand. The developer described it as a game about level design that's full of secrets.

It's really, really well designed, and when it clicks it really clicks. I now understand it well enough that I've seen about 75% of home and am mapping the rest. I don't really want to spoil it for anyone. What held me up initially:

In the void, I didn't recognise the things in the floor as keyholes

I had a look at it but it did indeed look extremely difficult to get into. I'd like it to click but I'm just not sure yet.

QWOP creator Bennett Foddy has been raving about it in such ridiculously effusive terms that his praise alone would be enough to get the game onto my "must play" list but other people have said nice things too so at some point before I die, assuming my death does not come swiftly and unexpectedly within the next few years, I intend to play this. I tend to be fairly bad at puzzle games that require out of the box thinking, though, and unless they're watered down to "you could beat this after two lobotomies" like Portal, I usually end up getting stuck. We shall see!

I'm pretty awful at puzzle games too. I got nowhere with this first time around, but meeting the developer and hearing praise from other developers inspired me to try it again. It still took an hour of experimentation before anything really clicked, and it felt like the things I'd missed would have been obvious if I'd paid more attention, but once it does click you have… kind of a sense of freedom.