Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Distance

This looks like it could be quite fun for Thumbs multiplayer.

edit: I imagined the trailer would be seamlessly embedded into my post. Once again, I have failed.

I've been trying to find a wired 360 pad for ages so I could properly play Nitronic Rush, the spiritual predecessor to this game, because I'm super keen on the whole Speed Racer-esque arcade driving game idea. I love that with the aesthetics of Distance they basically went "hey, Nitronic Rush looked like TRON, so let's make this one look like TRON Legacy."

I hope the soundtrack is even half as good as the Nitronic Rush one.

By the way, for anyone who does have a wired 360 controller (or is less of a klutz with keyboard controls than I am) who wants a taste of what these guys can do, Nitronic Rush is completely free.

Ok, just played Nitronic Rush.

Now what?

Keyboard controls are a bit "meh". It's doable, just needs some practice.

So this game's out on early access. I picked it up on a whim because it looked neat, and because I remembered that Nitronic Rush had a stunt mode like San Francisco Rush 2, which was one of the high points of my video game childhood.

Overall, I like it.  :tup:  It plays smoothly and is substantially prettier than Nitronic. I'm surprised to say I like the online mode a lot. It's kind of like Trackmania, but with more pretty lights and fewer French people. If the community gets big enough, I could see myself playing this game for a long time, since the user generated maps seem pretty alright, and the online mode is so chaotic.

EDIT: Wow. I played more of this last night (and just a moment ago) and it is way crazier than I remember Nitronic Rush being. The way they use wall-riding and ceiling-riding in some of the later levels is both devious and pretty awesome. The difficulty and speed of the game really gives it a nice sense of tension, since your car takes damage but can keep going for a little bit. It makes for some great moments where your car is just barely holding together as you race toward the next checkpoint, hoping that you don't self-destruct too soon.