Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 100: King Chromin' For A Day

Idle Thumbs 100:

380__header.jpg

King Chromin' For A Day

Break out the fireworks, giant creepy parade floats, and ominous presidential statuary: it's the Idle Thumbs centennial! In honor of this, our 100th episode, we talk about one game for the duration. But how could you not when that game is the new BioShock?

Game Discussed: BioShock Infinite

Should I not listen to this if I haven't played it yet? I'm sad:(

Should I not listen to this if I haven't played it yet? I'm sad:(

Probably wise. Depends on how you feel about spoilers of the first few hours of a BioShock game, because that's most of what we talk about!

On the "heads/tails" moment - I'm pretty sure the game let me pick. I wonder if this is a difference between PC and console? I'm playing on the 360.

Probably wise. Depends on how you feel about spoilers of the first few hours of a BioShock game, because that's most of what we talk about!

Ok that makes me feel better. I've got the game installed and will start tonight so I'm sure I'll get through enough of the content to be able to listen to this tomorrow unspoiled. Can't wait (for either)!

On the "heads/tails" moment - I'm pretty sure the game let me pick. I wonder if this is a difference between PC and console? I'm playing on the 360.

You can chose on PC. 

You can chose on PC.

I'm so confused. I played it twice on PC and don't remember picking.

i don't think their reaction would be any different to your choice? (although i only played it once) either way they probably still say "hmm interesting"

Very mild spoiler

Isn't supposed to show that your choice is irrelevant, the coin will always land on heads

Ah, I'll probably listen then. I got thirty minutes into Bioshock and got bored of the shooting. Not sure ill pick up infinite for a while, but you guys are usually good for a fun discussion.

I'm so confused. I played it twice on PC and don't remember picking.

Maybe I'm wrong but I swear I chose.

I went with the same thing at the ticket guy as Jake. I read that you do not get stabbed if you chose to shoot him.

Happy centenary idle thumbs! You don't look a day over 85.

Have you received your letter from the queen yet?

As someone who played Bioshock for the first time about a year ago, I think you're underestimating how much your Infinite criticisms also bite that earlier game. The elements you mentioned—being alone, the horror milieu—mitigate it a bit, but I still stalled out after a few hours just because the combat felt wonky and annoying. But then again, it might just be that I'm totally over combat as a pacing mechanic.

I've played the beginning a couple times, you do choose the coin flip. Which is clearly the most important thing in the game!

I've played the beginning a couple times, you do choose the coin flip. Which is clearly the most important thing in the game!

Christ I need to play it a third time. What in the world.

As someone who played Bioshock for the first time about a year ago, I think you're underestimating how much your Infinite criticisms also bite that earlier game. The elements you mentioned—being alone, the horror milieu—mitigate it a bit, but I still stalled out after a few hours just because the combat felt wonky and annoying. But then again, it might just be that I'm totally over combat as a pacing mechanic.

It's cheesy but the setting of post-fall Rapture really works better for me for combat being your only recourse. Youre in a scary dripping dark space full of drugged out murderers.

Bio 1 and 2 made me wish for a BioShock game in a vibrant society, but that immediately reveals how insane all the face-shooting is. Are there really 600 able bodied police officers in Columbia, all of whom are willing to run at you and die?

It turns out by saying "I'd love a BioShock game in a pre-fall society," I actually meant "I'd love a BioShock where I didn't have to murder everyone all the time," and now that I am playing something half way in between I'd rather just have one or the other.

It's cheesy but the setting of post-fall Rapture really works better for me for combat being your only recourse. Youre in a scary dripping dark space full of drugged out murderers.

Bio 1 and 2 made me wish for a BioShock game in a vibrant society, but that immediately reveals how insane all the face-shooting is. Are there really 600 able bodied police officers in Columbia, all of whom are willing to run at you and die?

It turns out by saying "I'd love a BioShock game in a pre-fall society," I actually meant "I'd love a BioShock where I didn't have to murder everyone all the time," and now that I am playing something half way in between I'd rather just have one or the other.

I do think Infinite is at it's best when it's letting you just immerse yourself in everything. The beginning part took me a long time to get through simply because I was looking at every little thing. Not that I hate the combat, but that was the less interesting part of the game in large part.

I agree, but only because you just got a few hours in. By the time I got to the end of Bioshock I was hacking turrets mid-combat and setting up elaborate traps for Big Daddies and it was some of the best combat I've ever experienced in an FPS, if not the best. But yeah, it takes some time to get there.

As for lock picks, I always had more than enough throughout the entire game other than the very beginning when it's first introduced and you really have to make a choice, there's a 5 picks door and a 5 picks safe and you only have enough for one of them. (Which included a ton of back tracking)

Pre order bonus included 5 lock picks

Cunning

You can chose on PC.

I definitely didn't. Booker just decided tails for me. The baseball, brooch, etc., I was able to pick myself.

As for lock picks, I always had more than enough throughout the entire game other than the very beginning when it's first introduced and you really have to make a choice, there's a 5 picks door and a 5 picks safe and you only have enough for one of them. (Which included a ton of back tracking)

Pre order bonus included 5 lock picks

Cunning

Farttttttttttttt

Maybe I was wrong? This youtube let's play clearly shows that you don't pick heads or tails, you just push a button to flip the coin:

Oops, my bad. Interesting how "push button for quick time event" became "choose x or y" in my head.

Huh, I could've sworn there was a choice. Obviously mixing it up with the pendant choice.

How strange that they would ask you to flip a coin and not make a choice, they've done that on purpose. When have you ever been asked to flip a coin and not choose the outcome.

Chris its funny to hear you say you didn't recognise the coin tossers, they're kindve a big deal, were they not in the game at all when you were at irrational? Or did I miss hear you