Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Man, almost all the characters in this game suck. Kaz constantly second-guesses and defies you. Ocelot seems cool most of the time, but he goes to torture at the drop of a hat. Huey just lies all the time and does a bunch of questionable things behind your back, then whines when he's caught and tries to lay the blame on you. Everyone is constantly making sure you know that you're the Boss, the Big Boss, but you're given none of the agency that you should have. The story just sort of happens, and you're left mopping up all the guts splattered everywhere when it's done.

Yeah I've been listening to the tapes, but even that is still way weaker than previous games.

I HAVE CREATED THE LONGEST LEAD-UP TO A DUMB PUNCHLINE EVER

post-8476-0-22300300-1444109942_thumb.jpg

Also the final mission (the one with the tanks) is a fucking disaster.

Ah! Spit my coffee even though it was totally what I was expecting.

The tank one do you mean

a quiet exit?

That mission was a great idea, but it just fucking sucks. I'm trying to do all the mission tasks, and I'm seriously dreading that one.

Yeah cause

tanks in that mission have aimbot and it splashes through lot of walls.  Also optic camo doesn't work.

Thankfully sandstorm kinda works, so to do all mission tasks you have to spam sandstorm in battle gear w/ snake w/ maxed damage resistance for his arm so you can take a shot in case you can't dodge it

feel free to ask me for details cause I did get that done.

I was just going to throw a bunch of smoke grenades. Usually does the trick.

The one I'm worried about is

Quiet taking no damage

Do that one separately.  It's just absurdly difficult to do both

all vehicle capture and tanking damage for her

but individually they are pretty straight forward.

So how did you do that one? It seems like it's pure luck.

I was planning to just keep her covered with smoke grenades and call in a bunch of air strikes to stop things before they're even shooting.

I've managed to avoid doing all those stupid repeat missions. But now I ran out of story missions. Apparently I need to unlock them by playing the repeats :/ I really do not feel like playing the same mission again, just with a higher difficulty. Especially not the skulls crap.

I've managed to avoid doing all those stupid repeat missions. But now I ran out of story missions. Apparently I need to unlock them by playing the repeats :/ I really do not feel like playing the same mission again, just with a higher difficulty. Especially not the skulls crap.

Re-doing a couple side-ops tripped the right flag for me. Did a prisoner extraction and then got pulled back to Mother Base for more Plot.

The same thing was happening to me. At first I wasn't doing all of the "important side-ops," but then I was still running out of story missions. I also ended up playing all the gold tape entries and raising my bond with Quiet and that seemed to do the trick. I think I ended up doing one repeat mission only before the credits rolled.

So how did you do that one? It seems like it's pure luck.

I was planning to just keep her covered with smoke grenades and call in a bunch of air strikes to stop things before they're even shooting.

You just have to keep baiting the tanks yourself.  Go in front of the building.  When facing the building, to the right where prisons are but right before the prison boxes, there is a large rock that is pretty reliable cover.  From there just constantly take potshots to keep the tank's attention to you.  I recommend GROM rocket launcher over others for its fast reload speed.  Also handy to bring HAIL grenade launcher to quickly deal with infantry.

And yes call in helicopter too.

Played a couple of rounds of MGO. It's ok, I really dislike how the infiltrator class starts with nothing. Makes it pretty difficult to stealth. I also dislike that every time I stunned or put someone to sleep to Fulton them, some idiot would shoot them either while I was standing over them or while they were attached to the balloon.

I think I could like it, but in the grand scheme of things, I'd rather play the single player or if I was in the mood for multiplayer, Splatoon is just more fun.

Re-doing a couple side-ops tripped the right flag for me. Did a prisoner extraction and then got pulled back to Mother Base for more Plot.

I got pulled back to MB right as I finished a side op, which pissed me off because I had like 4 sleeping elite soldiers and a bunch of crates in the outpost waiting to be extracted. :( :(

I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of doing something, then returning to base, then going back and doing something again. That something could be a side-op, or literally redoing an earlier mission in the game to pick up a missed goal, or just wandering in the world for a while Fultoning. You definitely don't need to do a single Extreme, Total Stealth, or OSP mission to get the last two missions. I know because I didn't do them. You definitely need to return to base on occasion though, because there are some cut scenes that only fire when you go back to base.

Raising your bond with Quiet may or may not be necessary. Considering she's entirely optional according to Kojima, I'd expect that it's probably not. However, I would recommend maxing her bond anyway, the mission that you only get when you max our her bond is frustrating, but also one of the bigger "story" chunks in the game that isn't on a tape.

As a side note, I don't understand why this seems to be a pain point for so many people, when I pretty much just breezed through the end bits. Sure, there were a couple of sections where I had no gold side-ops and no new (non-replay) missions, but I just did an old mission or a couple of side-ops and it popped for me pretty quickly. I wonder what I did different. Or maybe I was just having so much fun that I wasn't rushed to see the end? I dunno.

Yeah you don't need to do those repeat missions, I think you just have to do some side ops and return to motherbase. 

I'd also recommend you do those harder missions. They're really, really good. Especially the subsistence versions.

I've been going back and doing a few here and there, they are really good, but I don't plan on doing those Parasite Unit missions again.

Raising your bond with Quiet may or may not be necessary. Considering she's entirely optional according to Kojima, I'd expect that it's probably not. However, I would recommend maxing her bond anyway, the mission that you only get when you max our her bond is frustrating, but also one of the bigger "story" chunks in the game that isn't on a tape.

I was able to move through the last few missions just by doing gold side ops when they showed up, but the last mission stubbornly refused to show up for several hours until I took Quiet out on a few side ops and used her abilities. Then, it appeared and the game promptly ended. So, it could be coincidence, but if people get stuck, it could be worth trying. 

I've been going back and doing a few here and there, they are really good, but I don't plan on doing those Parasite Unit missions again.

With the right equipment and fully decked out Quiet, those missions are a joke. Quiet practically one-shots them, and if you're using the same sniper rifle as her, you can practically one-shot them too. 

I wish

I had stopped Quiet from going so I could do some of the harder mission tasks. Oh well, getting D-Dog to fulton everything is pretty funny.

I got pulled back to MB right as I finished a side op, which pissed me off because I had like 4 sleeping elite soldiers and a bunch of crates in the outpost waiting to be extracted. :(  :(

I hate when that happens. Dropped in to do 2 side ops close to eachother which I could easily do without getting additional supplies, prepare the shit out of everything. And then the moment when you fulton the primary target of a side you get pulled out. Happened at least 3 time.

With the right equipment and fully decked out Quiet, those missions are a joke. Quiet practically one-shots them, and if you're using the same sniper rifle as her, you can practically one-shot them too. 

I wish

I had stopped Quiet from going so I could do some of the harder mission tasks. Oh well, getting D-Dog to fulton everything is pretty funny.

I never used quiet much during the campaign because D-Dog is ace. She did help me quite a bit with the parasite unit mission where you have to fight though.