Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

I didn't know what to write on my emblem, since the word choices were so limited. I just ended up going with 2/3 of the name of one of my favorite albums.

2VVTmlF.jpg

Hah, I get it. Was the sheep used because there was no camel option?

Hah, I get it. Was the sheep used because there was no camel option?

That would have been my first choice. I was at the concert in Milwaukee the day they shot that album cover, and out of nowhere, Tweedy just starts talking about camels...and insisting on calling them dromedaries. I was super confused at the time. It only made sense months later when the album came out. I still wonder how they got a camel into that German restaurant in the Third Ward.

so I wasnt going to get this because I am terrible at stealth games but I just got a new laptop (the non-touch version of this not bragging ok actually totes bragging it is SWEET) and it came with a code for it, so.

anyways, I am def terrible at stealth games.

In mission 2 where you have to grab Miller, I ended up getting frustrated about dudes waking up so I just went in and shot everyone (well some I CQCed but then I put two in their domes to keep em down, is there a way to kill dudes once they're stunned quietly/without using ammo?).

I think I'll like this game better when I have a sniper rifle with a scope. This sneaking up stuff is nerve wracking and I end up in some clusterfuck of a shootout anyways. At least snake's run speed is super fast so (so far) it's been easy to bail if I need to. Sleepytime pistol also needs more ammo because at least half the time I will fail at getting a headshot.

I'd also like to hear of good ways of taking out stunned/sleeping enemies because I don't like wasting suppressor on them. If the situation allows I'll kick them to wake them up, grab them and knifey-knifey or pick them up and take them somewhere that I can do that without alerting their comrades.

How long incapacitated people stay down depends on how you dealt with them in the first place. I think the effects of tranq gun last quite long, while stunned enemies can wake up relatively fast. Apparently, there is a difference between choking and CQCing an enemy as well. Anyway, this becomes less of an issue, when you get the ability to fulton extract unconscious enemies.

You can order more ammo and supressors for you tranqualizer gun as a supply drop (I don't remember when this was unlocked). Still, you should always be careful about wasting ammo and supressors. In many cases, it is best just to leave the guards alone if you can avoid them.

By the way, don't worry about your stealth performance. I fumbled a lot in the second mission, but once I learned the basics and expanded my arsenal, I was able to do a lot better.

I'd also like to hear of good ways of taking out stunned/sleeping enemies because I don't like wasting suppressor on them. If the situation allows I'll kick them to wake them up, grab them and knifey-knifey or pick them up and take them somewhere that I can do that without alerting their comrades.

You can detach the silencer if there's no one around. You can fulton them too. You can also get more durable suppressors that they don't actually mention, if you're medium to late game, customise your weapon and check out the suppressor option. There should be more if you've researched the right stuff. No idea what stuff it is though.

Story spoilers coming...mission 43.

Holy shit mission 43. What a great fucking mission in a great game. I genuinely felt gross, going through there shooting everyone in the head, whether they were pleading or defending themselves. Then the room where you can hear them lamenting that their lives are already over. You walk in and they all stand up and salute snake, while you pick them off one by one. Man that mission got to me. Amazing.

Yeah I've been using a medium suppressor but anything better than that requires very high level teams. Almost every one of my staff is at least A+ and they range up to S++ but my teams are still in the low 40's. There's some developments that require teams of level 58, possibly even high although I think 60 is the max.

Mission 43

That mission hit hard. Yeah when they're lined up and consigned to their fate it could have had a cut scene where the boss mows them down but no, it makes you do it, one by one... brutal.

All the while bloody Huey berating you, what a dick, fuck you Huey I don't want to be doing this.

Is it possible to reveal how the end-game works without story spoilers? Minor structure spoilers below in case you don't want anything to be revealed:

Somehow, I was under the impression that mission 31 is "the ending" but sounds like there are several main missions after that. Do you have to do something special to unlock them or are they just normal missions that are shifted after the credits?

Is it possible to reveal how the end-game works without story spoilers? Minor structure spoilers below in case you don't want anything to be revealed:

Somehow, I was under the impression that mission 31 is "the ending" but sounds like there are several main missions after that. Do you have to do something special to unlock them or are they just normal missions that are shifted after the credits?

Ending structure stuff which isn't really spoiling events but some may not want to see.

That's the first ending, which is framed as the end of chapter 1. After that missions don't open up in the same way, you may need to do some side missions to open up more story missions, it's a bit odd. Mission 46 is the actual end and final mission although there's another mission before that which is really more of the end, 46 is like an epilogue, Again it's odd and not easy to explain without proper spoilers.

To further cloud the issue, mission 51 was cut but they put the unfinished cut scenes and some explanations together into a video came on a second disc on PS4 but someone has put it up on youtube so you can watch that afterwards.

Jesus. And here I was thinking that I was already two-thirds of the way through the game...

Well, a number of the missions after 31 are optional repeats of earlier missions with restrictions to make them harder, so don't worry, you are :)

They are still optional though :) You don't have to play them to do the main story missions.

I've played a couple of them and they make things a bit more tense which is nice change but I have quite a low threshold for that stuff so probably won't play them all.

I did C2W the other day and after just about managing to not get gunned down I'd taken out enough of the troops to get to the radio controls, then I wondered how I'd destroy it, guns would be too loud, I didn't have grenades but I'd picked up some anti-personnel mines so I thought I'd be clever and place them in the room so when guards wondered in they'd blow it up for me while I'd be twirling my moustache behind a rock at a safe distance. Well that's not quite what happened. I accidentally set off the mines myself said "oh shit" and half dead ran away as fast as possible, mercifully I wasn't seen and finished the mission :)

I completed the Fire man part of mission 20 yesterday. It was easy as hell, because he glitched out and didn't move from his place which was too far from the heli.

Possibly a stupid question but I'm hesitant to look too hard I fear of spoilers. Most of my side missions go grey with a check mark after completion. However, I have at least one prisoner extraction mission where the box was checked but it is still white font, does this mean there's additional prisoners or things to do on that?

There appear to be certain side ops you can complete a second time for additional points. Not sure if it's a bug or a feature. I have elected to redo them.

I think it reopens some of your old side ops in order to keep a certain number on the map. It seems to maintain the original stats of the "highly skilled soldiers" and such, so they can be pretty mediocre rewards later in the game.

Optional? They're so good. The Extreme aren't but sub/total stealth are fantastic.

I wish there was a way to play more of the missions like that. The oil refinery on total stealth is wrecking me though.

Oh, I just did that one last night. Crawling is incredibly over powered on that level. Plus it's raining so you can sprint with gusto if the guards don't have line of sight to you.

I wish it was possible to select no weapons/items but you have to take a primary and a secondary in. I know I can limit myself...but it's just not the same.

It is possible to select no reflex mode though. Once I've S-ranked everything and all that's left is doing the mission perimeters, I'll definitely turn that off.

Yeah it has some cool looking aspects. I might give it a go although the PC version isn't due until January.

I'd be a lot more interested in co-op missions or horde mode though.

Hmmm...I'll probably check it out, but I'm not one for competitive multiplayer any more. I'm just too...competitive and lose my temper way too easily. So yeah, I agree, horde or co-op would be more appealing to me.

I tried to get as 80s as possible on the color scheme of my dumb emblem:

u3uChOd.jpg

I love it!

So, I ran into a bug at one point, where I couldn't pick up a cassette (Billy Idol - Rebel Yell) which would not stand, so I went back to the ACC to reload everything and try again. I went the super sneaky route: