Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

How can you get anything done wearing Battle Dress? It is so clanky I feel like I can't stealth at all in it.

I've just gone back to the sneaking suit and didn't realise the battle dress was impacting stealth. Still if you're operating at night and move slowly you can pretty much where whatever and be pretty stealthy, plus reflex is very generous.

All your Mother Base emblems look cool and all, but as a new PMC, you really need to work on branding to attract new recruits:

post-8476-0-86865700-1442185007_thumb.jpg

My mission 16 story

For this mission I just went to a checkpiont somewhere roughly along the path of the convoy, got rid of all the guys at there, planted some C4 in the road and waited. The first time I tried it I ended up totally messing everything up, getting noticed way too soon and died trying to shoot it out. I think I actually did this a couple times to no avail.

But the third time I just waited in a spot to detonate the C4 from, but the convoy pulled over before they got to it, I assume to check out the curiously empty checkpoint.

So as far as I remember I think I detonated the C4 to draw attention, but of course I got noticed. So I just scrambled to fulton the target truck and somehow succeeded, whistled for D-Horse and rode out of the hot zone.

It's funny to hear stories about this mission because I didn't even know the destination was an airport, but I've heard people talk about the airport like on the Giant Bombcast they were talking about how they hated this mission.

I wish there was a way for me to get my base logo up here. I took a screen shot on ps4, but have no computer to put it on and load it up. 

So heroism affects the stats of soldiers you find. I just got to "Hero" level and I'm now finding the occasional S-rank soldier out in the field. They're like shiny pokémon, in that I have to have them all, and will go out my way to grab them.

Beating a dead horse on Mission 16 but since it's the last one I did I'll chime in too.

I also took out the jeep soldiers and had a checkpoint there.  Planted C4 on the road to eliminate the first vehicle of the convoy, quickly sniped the driver of the transport and then the Skulls appeared.  Was able to sneak around to the transport and fulton it but that alerted the Skulls.  I only had 2 rockets I got off the jeep soldiers so I was able to down 3 of the 4 Skulls but by that time I had literally run out of rockets and all other ammo.  Was afraid to call for a copter or supply drop and have the Skull kill me while I was in menu so I literally just ran in one direction until I escaped the hot zone.  Was hoping Quiet would take the last guy out but it never happened.  Took about 10 or so minutes of mindless running and just generally sucked.  One of the few real frustrations I've had thus far with the game.

Those enemies are definitely the source of the most unenjoyable frustration I've had in the game so far. Luckily they haven't featured much, but I'm concerned that as I get to the later parts of the game they'll start showing up more often.

Some Mission 16 hints:

The airport is where the truck starts, but you definitely don't have to grab it there. In fact, it's much easier to grab it when it's out on the road as there's a shorter distance to get out of the hot zone, should you not want to kill the skulls. Also, the moment you trigger the skulls, the folks driving the tanks die and you can hop in one and use it to kill the skulls. I, on the other hand, am very stubborn and wanted to complete it at the airport, without killing the skulls, and without using the tank. I got so practiced at the route that I could get to one of the airport building overlooking the truck area after tranqing only 1 or 2 guards, drop down from the roof and fulton both tanks, and sneak up to the truck. The difficult part was running the full KM to the edge of the hotzone. I think it took me around 20 attempts to make that run.

Mission wise, I just unlocked up to mission 42, so I think I've only got a few left to go, then we can chat.

Fucking hell. Now it's mission 20 which is a huge pain in the ass. Pretty much every main story mission that involves the serious bad guys is so disconnected from the rest of the gameplay. Resulting in retry upon retry upon retry to the point I've had enough for the constant failing and I turn off the game. I'm not failing because I feel like I'm screwing up, I'm failing because I'm apparently not doing something completely right according to a hidden plan.

So if the very spoiler heavy intro credits feature anything like Skulls, Skullface, Man on fire, ... it's a guarantee to become a shitty mission near the end which completely lacks fun and only contains frustration.

I'm starting to feel like the original game was just these shitty missions, but the decided to make the game idiotically long by adding additional missions (and side missions) which I actually do like playing.

I hated that mission, I had to look up how to do it which is never a good sign in my book.

It's imperative that you call the chopper before disabling the man on fire, leave it as long as possible.

I figured that much, despite radio man explicitly telling you to take out the guy before calling the heli.

Anyway, I tried that in my last attempt, and it failed. Fire man was going after the heli instead of me so he didn't get close to the water tower. So apparently I have to time it better and juggle the menu quick enough not to get blown up while calling in the heli.

I am getting suckered in by being terrible at FOBs exactly like I suspected and dreaded that I would. It's dragging down my experience just like the multiplayer in Dark Souls II did for me last year in a game I otherwise loved.

Whine, whine, whine, but it's just not fair that I'm on mission thirty-three in the main campaign and I've got S ranks and every task completed in all of them up to this point and absolutely none of that translates into the online which is deliberately designed to be ostensibly the same skill set. I can't even determine the basic mechanics half the time.

P.S. And then, after all this time, I got the ending spoiled for me while watching a Twitch stream of FOBs. Fuck FOBs.

Yeah, the non-sneaking sections are certainly the weakest parts of the game. I get the impression they are somewhat intentionally annoying to drive home the narrative impact, but that doesn't really excuse them.

Fortunately the game doesn't lean on them nearly as much as it could have. I've been pleasantly surprised at the number and variety of normal infiltration-style missions.

I really hope that some day we get a detailed look behind the scenes of the making of this game. It's such a fantastic piece of design in the face of what seems to be overwhelming adversity. If you can excuse Kojima's misogynistic perversions a bit, you're left with this amazing open world game featuring incredibly complex, rewarding systems. I've played for 72 hours so far and I'm only on Episode 22 or 23.

I figured that much, despite radio man explicitly telling you to take out the guy before calling the heli.

Anyway, I tried that in my last attempt, and it failed. Fire man was going after the heli instead of me so he didn't get close to the water tower. So apparently I have to time it better and juggle the menu quick enough not to get blown up while calling in the heli.

There are many different ways to accomplish this mission, some more luck/bs than others. 

Personally, I lead him into the warehouse and exploded a couple of the small water tanks on him. That stunned him for long enough for me to run away and lose him, then call the chopper. The GB thread about this mission also mentions dropping the water tower on him and fultoning him, along with using a car to ram him into the lake or off a cliff.

Additionally, I just saw the ending...

I liked the information that I got and am fairly satisfied with the story, but I didn't like having to play the whole tutorial again just to get one different scene and the start and one at the end. Worse section of the game and they make you do it twice. Also, we never did find out what the stupid fire whale was. I guess a whale that just had burning revenge in its heart against helicopters?

I think I hit the final story mission last night... I have been hitting the main missions pretty hard to finish before I run into spoilers, so I still have a ton of side content left.

Ending stuff:

Yeah, replaying that mission was really tedious. I enjoyed it well enough as the tutorial mission, but it's really not interesting a second time. Forcing a replay of the whole thing also seemed unnecessary -- it's not like there was anything particularly revelatory about rewatching the entire escape sequence in the new context.

I guess the fire whale was just supposed to be more Third Boy/Psycho Mantis shenanigans. I was expecting more of that stuff to be explained as Snake's hallucinations from the shrapnel, but it seems like that story angle just got dropped?

More ending spoilers:

I'm pretty sure the whale was like the horse a bizarre extension of The Man on Fire and The Third Child's abilities. I'm not sure if it destroyed the helicopter in blind rage or if it was to prevent it from robbing The Man on Fire of their revenge.

I didn't know what to write on my emblem, since the word choices were so limited. I just ended up going with 2/3 of the name of one of my favorite albums.

2VVTmlF.jpg