Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

I'm finding the main missions paralysing. I want to play them, but I don't want the game to end yet! I feel like every time I do a mission, I'm getting closer to this amazing game being over...

Is this the previously-mentioned-in-thread crazy secret room? Do I need to build the medical platform to find it?

Yes and yes. (and I think there's a specific Side Op you need to have completed as well, though I'm not 100% sure.)

I'm finding the main missions paralysing. I want to play them, but I don't want the game to end yet! I feel like every time I do a mission, I'm getting closer to this amazing game being over...

I hear that. I've been taking them *very* slow. I just finished the 10th main story mission, but I've finished all the side quests possible, some of them multiple times when they become re-available.

Personally, I'd get to the point where you open up the FOB stuff, then pause there for a while. I did that, and I wish I'd stayed there even longer.

OK, FOB stuff is seriously unbalanced.

Maybe I'm just bad at it, I dunno, but it's near impossible to invade anything at this point for me. I've advanced enough so I'm not getting any scrubs who haven't setup defenses anymore, and I just don't understand how it's possible to stealth with so many drones and soldiers out there. Then, if I decide to Rambo it instead, a defender comes in and manages to one shot me with a tranq pistol from across the map, when I'd swear I've hit them like three times in the head myself. I don't know why I keep pounding my head against it. I want it to be fun, it just isn't.

I agree! I tried once just to get the trophy and was spotted in like 3 seconds. I was slowly creeping up on an enemy armed to the teeth and a drone popped up behind me, and even though I shot it down with a silenced assault rifle the whole base alerted.

It's so incredibly unbalanced unless the FOB owner has weak guards and low preparedness. Like my FOB! I don't think I've been invaded yet, but I'm so rarely online, I doubt it'll affect me.

tumblr_nui21valta1rzz1cdo1_540.png

I've now finished the game and played all of the missions (apart from subsistence, extreme and total stealth). So I need someone else to finish it so I can discuss it with someone :)

I hate those Skulls.

Just did Mission 16, the one where you have to capture the truck. After many failures to complete it I looked up how to complete the mission. First tried a solution I found on youtube, but that didn't work for me. The damn truck kept getting destroyed before I could escape. Then I found a reddit post full of loathing on this mission, and some other ways. Eventually I succeeded. But it was no on my terms.

This mission is broken in concept. The solutions I found online involved going to the airfield and getting the truck alerting pretty much everybody. There is no way to get the truck without triggering the skulls. My own attempt involved destroying the tanks with an RPG leaving only the truck on a lonely road. As soon as I came close, the skulls jumped out and refused to get away enough for me to airlift the truck without getting spotted as soon as the truck left off. It really looks like there is no proper way to stealth this mission.

The eventual method I used was simply driving out of the hot zone while the skulls kept following me. Leaving the hot zone makes the skulls to disappear. This makes no sense at all.

Fuck the skulls. They do not make the game fun.

I also hate the skulls.

How I did that mission:

After one bad attempt I restarted but knew the route, so I went straight there and parked my jeep in the road to stop the convoy and put C4 on the road with a spacing that I hoped wouldn't destroy the truck. So the skulls appear and plans go out the window, I managed to get one of the tanks with the C4 and extract the other. This leaves one piece of C4 and a load of skulls, I knew that even if they don't see you they still walk towards you (which is bullshit but I turned it to my advantage) so I put my remaining C4 in-between me and them and waited. When they were in prime position I fired a rocket into them setting off the C4 and killing at least one plus almost killing the others, then one more rocket and there's one left with a tiny amount of health so I finished it with an assault rifle.

The honey bee mission sorta suggests that normal non-guided rockets won't be very effective against the skulls but that's not really true.

Yup,after seeing that all I can do is think of Travis Touchdown every time he speaks.

So I had some cool shit happen to me today. I was killing a tank squad, and the one guy left that I hadn't murdered tried to run for it, so I hopped on a mortar and rained shells down on him, but he managed to avoid every single one. So I jumped on D-horse and fired rockets and grenades from my launcher at him. They all exploded on trees in the way or harmlessly at his side.

It was crazy! This guy must have been terrified, I actually ran out of ammo trying to hit him! In the end I ran him down with the horse, kicked him to wake him up and fultoned him. Someone that lucky had to be part of my crew.

D-dog fell down an elevator shaft in a mission. I got chided for getting him killed. He just walked straight off the edge! D-dog also has the uncanny ability to stand in the way every time I throw someone against a wall, resulting in them both being stunned. It's pretty amusing.

Smoke grenades are broken. They're so powerful. I thought they'd set off alerts, but they don't. Just toss one at a guys foot, and you can walk right up to him and cqc him down. Tanks can't see through them so you can sprint through the cloud and foulton them.

I also did my first subsistence mission. I won't say too much, but it was amazing. You start with literally no gear, and have to procure everything on site. Kept dying at first since all the guards were rocking full body armour, but then I just went full stealth. It was a great feeling.

Edit: for the skulls

i just shot them to pieces with my recoiless rifle. That and a few grenades made short work of them

Oh god, this was amazing!

A truck following its normal route stopped, two guys got out. One of them got back in and seemingly accidentally ran over the other. ! He gets out, checks him, then calls the guards and reports an intruder.

Sneaky bastard! Accidentally kills his friend them blames it on the enemy!

Mission 16: Fucking hated it, but after a couple attempts, I found a way to deal with it very quickly:

Rode straight to the airport where the truck is parked, tranq'd the guards next to it, approached the van, ignored the Skulls, fultoned the van, ran like hell, called my horse, and rode away wondering whether I should have ridden the van instead.

Got S rank (not that I would have minded a worse performance), but obviously missed most of the side objectives.

My most hilarious attempt:

...involved me running in a circle in a gated area of the airport, while repeatedly calling for Quiet to shoot the skulls. I think she got two of them before I finally died. My thumb was really sore after that one.

I really really despise the skulls. I can see how some may see these more action packed sequences as good ways to balance out all the slow sneaking. I am clearly not one of them. I absolutely hate those parts.

As for buddies, I mostly use D-Dog in main story missions, because he is so good at scanning the surroundings. However, I can also see how Quiet could be useful if only her sniper rifle was silenced (and preferably equipped with tranqualizer darts). To increase our bond level (a key requirement for upgrading her gear), I often take her with me when I am doing side missions or clearing out enemy bases. I also stare at her breasts a lot in the helicopter because I assume that this is how Kojima assumes you bond with women. Anyway, I am pretty close to unlocking the silenced sniper rifle for her at this point.

I already unlocked a new clothes option for her. I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed, though not least bit surprised, when the difference turned out to be that her equally scantily clad body is now covered in fake blood all over. Sexy as fuck obviously.... :shifty:

My emblem:

phantom_emblem.jpg

For the truck Fultoning mission the way I beat it (very easily)...

I was able to use a decoy to draw away the skulls and finish the mission without an alert being triggered. I first dropped a decoy in the fork in the road where the convoy would pass through. I then used a phantom cigar until the convoy found the decoy (which also automatically triggered the skulls cutscene). There is a rock right there in the fork in the road, you are already hiding behind it when the skulls come out. Thow another decoy down the road a ways, pop out, fulton the truck and escape.

I guess I would've gotten an S rank had I not used the phantom cigar.

Also it runs on the Surface Pro on low settings, but still not sure if it is playable (practically speaking).