Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Was a little overzealous on a side mission last night.  Did a great job of tagging soldiers but on my way to the prisoner I got spotted and gunned down relatively quickly.  Next attempt I was able to actually make it to the prisoner but his guards sounded the alarm so I had about two dozen soldiers bearing down on me.  Most of the time I would just restart from a checkpoint and run it again but I wanted to see how far I could get by going full on Rambo.  Things started well enough and I was able to clear out the troops outside of the door but that still left about 10-15 guys on alert or actively coming my way.  A notification that a sandstorm was coming felt like a minor miracle and gave me the cover to escape with the prisoner into the hills without force.  A really fun, unexpected resolution that really made me appreciate all the systems working together.

I fultoned a bear! It took something like 10 sleep darts to take down. 

GOTY.

I knew this was one of my favorite games of all time when I took down a legendary bear with a single stun punch to the face.

Erm, idk about you guys but Pequod keeps barging into missions????? Any help with this?

This is getting worse, really, anyone know a fix for this????!!!?? Konami doesn't know how to playtest their games jesus fuck. 

I can't tell what's happening. Is the helicopter dude just storming all your missions?

Mostly I just wanted to tell you I love your use of the Goosebumps theme.

I don't know why I didn't think of putting El Sonidito as the song my chopper plays. Nothing can demoralize the enemy more than that.

LJV1eJO.jpg

This may be my favourite image of the year.

So because I'm dumb, I accidentally bought MGSV. Apparently way back when it was first announced I pre-ordered it. As I was sitting here agonizing over how inconvenient it is that the game came out during the first week of the school year (the WORST TIME to release a game that a teacher may want to play, Konami...), I get a notification that this pre-order that I had completely forgotten about had shipped. So now a PS4 copy is sitting on my coffee table, waiting for school to establish a bit of a routine so I can dive in. In the mean time, I'm going back to Ground Zeroes because I only ever played the main mission once after getting it on sale and would like to have all of the Mother Base personnel when I start V. It's not helping me not want to play MGSV, but at least it's given me something to do in hour-long chunks while I wait for a chance to marathon the main course.

Tonight I did the first two Side Ops, the Kojima rescue and the one where you need to take out the sniper and the spotter. I'm making the extra effort to evac everyone possible on the way, so that meant getting Glaz and Palitz as I go. The Kojima one went exactly as scripted (with one restart necessary because a dude shot Kojima in the head AS I WAS LOADING HIM ONTO THE CHOPPER and I had to start over at the point where you jump off), but after playing Glaz and Palitz I had to turn off the PS4 because I was laughing so hard that my girlfriend (who works customer service and so does not have Labour Day off tomorrow, thus was trying to sleep) was getting pissed off. I did a great job sneaking through and rescuing the prison camp POWs, no alarms, no alerts, no relexes, no problem. Palitz turned out to be a bit trickier. I didn't realize he relocated to POW storage, so I accidentally tranqed him while rescuing the POWs and had to go back and look through all of the sleeping guards before realizing "oh crap! This is the guy!" Still, got him out no problem.

Glaz was fantastic. I sneak all the way into the closed off restricted area with the air traffic control tower, knocking people out but still going completely undetected on the way in. I go in the Northeast entrance (the red door on the North wall by the vehicle entry/exit), as the Northwest is super far away from my extraction zone of choice and I was trying to clear an entrance and exit route as I went. I get through the little entryway, sneak past the security camera, and work my way down to where Paz is in the main mission. Glaz and two soldiers are patrolling this area, making doing this silently incredibly difficult. One of his men spots me. I take him out, get into cover, and get the second guard. Alarms are going off everywhere. I hear Miller on my radio tell me that Glaz is escaping, and I lost track of him in the firefight. I start running through the exit at the other end of the hall, hoping desperately that I can catch him. As I emerge out the top of the stairs, I see a Jeep start up across the lot from me. It starts speeding towards me. Is that... YES! He's making a break for it solo in the Jeep. And coming right for me. As he turns to blaze past me out of the exit, I draw my tranq pistol and somehow manage the most miraculous headshot of my life. I get in the Jeep, shoving him over onto the passenger seat unconscious. I drive to the exit with the alarms ringing across the base and every available soldier headed straight for my position. Door's locked. I have to stash the Jeep, fight my way to the controls, and buy myself enough time to hack the door open. That accomplished, I hop back in my Jeep with my kidnapping victim still happily asleep. I peel out, swerving around a fucking TANK, and drive as fast as I can while dodging rockets and gunfire to exit the base on the far side by the refugee camp.

Mission complete, every possible extraction accomplished. Fucking Metal Gear. From the second I shot Glaz in the head with the tranquilizer dart on, I was laughing like a maniac. That was some ludicrous shit, and has made me so excited for an entire game of these open world shenanigans. So, so good.

So despite telling myself I wasn't going to get it, I got it.

I can say pretty comfortably already, that this is one of the best games I've ever played. I don't know how many hours in I am but probably around 50 and I've done a lot of side ops. There are so many crazy stories that come from it, that I'm sure no one will want to know. I can't help myself. 

During one mission I brought in all the wrong gear thanks to not paying attention. A rocket launcher, an assault rifle, and my trusty tranq pistol, and only grenades and C4. I basically had to either grab everyone, or my silencers would expire fast.

So after some comedy mistakes on my part, all my silencers were spent in the first 5 or so minutes. This meant I snuck through most of the level, actively avoiding people until a chopper spotted me. I blasted it out the sky, killed a few soldiers with the few rounds of rockets I had left, then in a moment that makes it the best, I picked up a downed enemy's sniper. Then I turned into a Lord. Just fucking head shotting bitches left and right. I was carrying a prisoner too, so I would just throw them down and whip out the sniper and pop a few guys in the head before moving on. All while my chopper was waiting for me. 

Mission ended, I was convinced I got a shit score. "S" rank. Apparently all those head shots and crazy accuracy at the end made up for every single mistake I made along the way. 

Snake just controls so well. It's sublime. I've bumped into a few instances of awkwardness, but 90% of the time the controls just allow you to be amazing.

Also, best buddy is D-Dog. By far. Fuck the horse. Quiet is decent, but no where near as useful as having that dog nose around.

Also, best buddy is D-Dog. By far. Fuck the horse. Quiet is decent, but no where near as useful as having that dog nose around.

Yeah, I'm trying to give Quiet the time of day for variety, but D-Dog is so absurdly worthwhile. Frankly he mostly kills targets I want dead better than Quiet too.

Ironically Quiet won't stop humming over the intercom. I'm not sure if it's a bug or not but she never shuts up.

I appreciate someone posting the link to Baby Got Backstory in the Feminism thread so I could see a sobering old post of mine from 2014:

This is an excellent way to respond to all the tedious, pedantic technicalities that sexists will rely on to deny misogyny in media, as though a contextual rationalization for one portrayal undermines the entire argument - which you run up against a lot on NeoGAF, etc. I'd love to contribute to this list as examples occur to me; for now, what comes to mind and is most dear to my heart isn't yet a totally known quantity, only a promise that once Metal Gear Solid V is out and whatever nonsense excuse for Quiet's appearance is canon, those of us who took issue with it will be ashamed of our words and deeds.

In all my hype I probably became too complacent about Quiet, because I finally got her as a full-on buddy tonight.

I'm pretty infuriated and indignant right now. I mean, we all figured it would be something totally banal like her skin is camouflage/photosynthesis/it's titty o'clock but the fact that in the conversation Ocelot has the gall to bring up The End as a direct comparison and tell Big Boss and the player that it's the exact same power a fully clothed man had was beyond the pale. Come up with something, for God's sake! "Clothing makes her suffocate" should be an embarrassment to every single person who plays this game and, in a fairer world, a pastiche of video games themselves rather than something said with sincerity.

I've put over seventy-five hours into this game so far and I absolutely love it to death. I think it's one of the greatest I've ever played. It's pathetic that something like Quiet stands as such a blemish on something otherwise so brilliant.

Quiet's humming is incredibly annoying. She's good for fire support, but I don't like how long it takes her to "infiltrate" a base and mark enemies for me. 

Plus, I like petting D-Dog. He appreciates it. 

In all my hype I probably became too complacent about Quiet, because I finally got her as a full-on buddy tonight.

When you get her to full-on-level-10-buddy, she will do a little lap dance for you in the helicopter. It's incredibly embarrassing. 

I've got a episode 12 war story.

First of all, fuck for whoever thought it was a good idea to hide a mission in a side op. I just wanted to do a small thing before having dinner.

So, the first part was easy, taking the power station. Sneaked the hell out of it. Then the tedious long run to the other base. This very very sneaky.

Then I arrived at day at the base. Holy fuck socks that's crowded. So I was plotting my pass through the base when suddenly a sand storm kicked in and I legged it running all the way to the back end of the base without anybody seeing me. I'm owning this mission. Then again, the way back might not be so easy.

I did take the walker and simply ran to the entrance... nobody even noticed my running in full daylight. Hell yeah, I'm a master.

Except... a single guard at the entrance hasn't been killed by the heli and sees me before I can kill him. Ah well... still a great run.

But then... this stupid ass motherfucking huge robot segment. What a piece of shit gameplay. I almost made it, and then the damn robot turns around, sees me and the heli stops descending. So this took me like half an hour to get through with a lot of waiting for the damn robot to move away from me.

That was yesterday. Today I the game broke on me completely in episode 14

I started early on the day. Rescued 2 prisoners (one was shot before I could even do anything, how does this work?). So I have to wait until night for the interrogator to go to the location where my real target is. So I wait, try to stick close to the interrogator while he takes a long stroll around the main camp (if I knew that I would have waited at my safe spot). So it becomes night and he and only 1 of his companions leave (I took take of his other companion).

so they get to the little house where I'm pretty sure the interrogation is going to take place. I tranq them both, which I apparently shouldn't have done. Ok, big deal, the prisoner should get here. I airlift the guard and let the interrogator recover. So things become alerted and I stroll off for things to cool down. Everything cooled down, I return to the guy at the house. I wait. I wait. I wait. Nothing... so I get in, ask him for the details and he spills his guts. Yes, I am at the right location. So I air lift him, and wait for the prisoner to be brought in. Base camp is giving me info I already knew. So I'm waiting, and waiting. Then suddenly base camp says things like "oh, so he's the guy that hired us" as if it's info from the interrogation. wtf is going on here!? I am now able to understand afrikaans, but there is no prisoner for me to pick up. So I restart the checkpoint, which apparently was after I scared the interrogator. So I try everything again. Still no prisoner showing up. So I walk around the whole area, maybe his body is somewhere else. Nothing, absolutely nothing. So after spending over an hour, probably close to 2. I can redo the whole damn mission because the prisoner vanished.

And this is why I'm not getting Quiet.

I have D-Dog and Walker. A fully equipped Walker is all you'll ever need in the game and you won't need the rest of the buddies.

I actually don't like the Walker at all. It's very difficult to use any kind of stealth with it and its movement is sort of loose, making it hard to be precise. Even in a firefight the minigun is not that much more effective than an assault rifle, and not being able to be in cover actually tends to make me easier to kill. So unless there are some really powerful upgrades later on I don't see myself using it.