Thrik

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

I'm really enjoying this game so far. The controls are easy to get used to, the mechanics are satisfying, the graphics are pretty as hell, and the game runs very smoothly on my PC.

It seems that I need to reconsider my playstyle, though. I repeated the Spetsnaz soldier extraction mission who knows how many times, because I wanted to do a "perfect" run, i.e. extract the target alive and not cause any alerts. That would have been easy enough, if I hadn't also been so concerned with examining the site thoroughly and maximizing the number of soldiers I fulton recovered. It was only after I felt satisfied enough with my performance and left the mission area that I realized that I could just return to the site after the mission and explore the area without a danger of losing too much progress.

Does anyone know if there is any difference between exploring the sites during the mission and between missions? For example, can all the items (apart from mission specific intelligence, etc.) be found after the mission as well?

I hope I get used to the rating system. I already dislike the idea of continuing my mission in games like these once I trigger an alarm, and knowing that alerts will affect my rating and mission rewards, I vastly prefer to restart a checkpoint instead of dealing with the situation. However, seeing that the checkpoints are few and far between in this game, I think this might get very frustrating very fast.

Maybe I just shouldn't care about the rewards...

This game is so good. I love just riding the horse around the fringes of an enemy position and scoping out how I'm going to get in there. I did the "kill the enemy commander" mission the other night and only caused an alert because I shot a boombox trying to figure out how to get the tape out (it was the wrong boombox)

What possible reason could you have for not buying this game immediately?!

Mission 12 spoilers/complaints. The mission where you...

Rescue Emmerich

This mission was long, and I managed to ghost the whole thing. i walked down that stupid road 2 km, coming so close to getting caught twice, made it past the walkers at the base, all the way to the bunker. I eschewed Emmerich's walker so I could ghost all the way back out, got in view of the chopper, and it's trying to touch down literally at the front door of the base, is under fire by six soldiers, and is already smoking. Luckily, guys were so focused on the heli that I was able to take most of them down, but I ended up with one reflex right at the end, ruining my perfect stealth run and tanking my rating, since I hadn't gotten many neutralizations. This is the second time that they have taken a mission that I've been stealthy in and forced it into a conflict. I'm so ticked. At least tell me at the start so I know not to bother being sneaky.

Probably got about 4 hours in.  From the little I've read enemies will adapt to your playstyle so I've intentionally tried to vary it from mission to mission.  I won't get into specifics but on one side-op I got to experience just how extremely effective mortar can be.  Only real quibble is I wish the story cassette stuff was integrated better.  Still playing during radio dialogue or just having to hang out in the helicopter to listen to tapes is fine but I wish there was a better way.

Other than that this game has been extremely fun and I wish I was playing it right now.

I imagine this is my GOTY. So glad it's actually a game and not just cutscenes bridged by walking forward. The game mechanics are better than they've ever been, and the flexibilty of the complex systems married to the responsive controls make this the game MGS always aspired to be.

What on earth is your avatar? I love it.

It's an album cover

Albums okay, but I love the cover. A nice take on aleister crowley

Mission log: Strangled a Russian soldier and stole his cassingle of “She Blinded Me With Science" before vanishing into the night.

So since this is on PC I really hope someone makes this as an alternate character skin for Quiet (but still with the lack of clothing):

post-31977-0-06417000-1441312037.jpg

If someone does this, I will upgrade my PC and purchase this game immediately.

I fultoned a bear! It took something like 10 sleep darts to take down. 

GOTY.

Are you building a zoo? I would love to see how the plane deals with picking up a bear and dropping it off at the base.

Can you build a zoo? I'm not fully sure what fultoning wildlife does for the player yet. I think there was some radio dialogue saying it was for an NPO concerned with removing animals from the battlefield--a Metal-Gear-ass rationalizing of some dumb feature if I've ever seen one. I think for now I'm just getting money. So far I have a crow, some sheep, a few wolves, and two bears.

Can you build a zoo? I'm not fully sure what fultoning wildlife does for the player yet. I think there was some radio dialogue saying it was for an NPO concerned with removing animals from the battlefield--a Metal-Gear-ass rationalizing of some dumb feature if I've ever seen one. I think for now I'm just getting money. So far I have a crow, some sheep, a few wolves, and two bears.

Yes, you get a zoo. It is still rationalizing a dumb feature, but I assume enough people during testing wanted to fulton a sheep and it grew from there.

So since this is on PC I really hope someone makes this as an alternate character skin for Quiet (but still with the lack of clothing):

If someone does this, I will upgrade my PC and purchase this game immediately.

I know who she is but I feel like I'm missing the joke.

In other news I've realized that since this is on PC and there's a game-completion unlock for Quiet that puts her in actual armour, it should be super easy for someone to create the Clothed Quiet mod. So that's nice.

I honestly hate my base and that I have to deal with it at all.  It's so weird and annoying digging through a billion menus (which are horrible in the PC port) just to unlock things.  And then I'm supposed to just walk around for no reason to raise troop morale.  I capture tons of people because otherwise I can't get items, but the capturing is a comical hot air balloon extraction.  I feel like I am playing the worst economy game in between missions.  I am wondering what would happen if I just ignored it altogether because it occupies most of my game time and is almost unbearable for me.  Otherwise, it's one of the very best games I've played, the peaks are high, but so much of the game is listening to tapes and digging through menus.

I know who she is but I feel like I'm missing the joke.

There is no joke. I just keep seeing her face right next to Quiet's on Kotaku today and just wanted to share my desire to have a scantily clad religious bigot who denies marriage licenses instead of a scantily clad sexy super soldier in my super awesome spy game.

You should know by now that a large percentage of my posts make little to no sense. 

I fultoned a bear! It took something like 10 sleep darts to take down. 

GOTY.

One of the mission checkpoints was next to a bear, and so every time I restarted from the checkpoint, I had to tranq the bear again. It was ok, though, because I got to watch the ridiculous bear fultoning animation again and again.

Can you build a zoo?

Apparently yes, eventually.

There is no joke. I just keep seeing her face right next to Quiet's on Kotaku today and just wanted to share my desire to have a scantily clad religious bigot who denies marriage licenses instead of a scantily clad sexy super soldier in my super awesome spy game.

You should know by now that a large percentage of my posts make little to no sense. 

This one had nothing to do with poop. I'm confused.

I honestly hate my base and that I have to deal with it at all.  It's so weird and annoying digging through a billion menus (which are horrible in the PC port) just to unlock things.  And then I'm supposed to just walk around for no reason to raise troop morale.  I capture tons of people because otherwise I can't get items, but the capturing is a comical hot air balloon extraction.  I feel like I am playing the worst economy game in between missions.  I am wondering what would happen if I just ignored it altogether because it occupies most of my game time and is almost unbearable for me.  Otherwise, it's one of the very best games I've played, the peaks are high, but so much of the game is listening to tapes and digging through menus.

In Peace Walker you could pay relatively little attention to all the base stuff and the net result was the game just became considerably harder because your equipment was less varied therefore you had less perfect-tool-for-the-job options. There were occasionally moments where you actually needed something like C4 so a little grinding was needed to get some money and research, but honestly only a few times.

The Peace Walker Mother Base was literally just menus so it was a lot more boring. Everything about it seems a lot better thought out and implemented this time around. In both games Mother Base is essentially a second game in and of itself, which a lot of people seem to really enjoy but I can see how all the resource procurement and management could grate on some. Just ignore it and see what happens, report back for the rest of us. :D